Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a basic search and didn't really find an answer.

I see that most people are going with either MAC or Bassani catback. It seems the performance gains are almost identical. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm also interested in which sounds meaner and/or louder. It would be nice to find some 2003 Cobra specific sound clips with just either of these catback systems. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
Mangaflow is the king in performance per dollar. Same as the 03 Cobra :)

·
Night Trains Daddy
1,569 Posts
I jsut ordered a Mac Pro-chamber and 3" Mac catback...I'll let you know what I think when I get it on.

I had Magnaflows on my GT and did not really care for the sound.

G

·
I have the Bassani 2 1/2 inch with 4in. tips. X pipe with no cats and its just plain bad ass!!! At idle and cruising speeds its still quiet...but when you get on the gas.....everyone will know it :D

With my old setup
2.80 pulley
100mm idler pulleys
CAI
Bassani X-haust
Diablosport Chip

The car would rip the tires loose in third at 3200 rpms....really a sweet setup!

Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com

G

·
mac to bassani is like dog food to hamburgers

if your looking for steak get the QMP, nitrous pete runs it and he has the baddest 2003 cobra on the planet

·
Registered
189 Posts
I believe the Mac's make to most power, but they are not SS and look a little cheap compaired to Magna's and Bassani. I like the sound. Here is a link with a ton of exhaust sound bytes...

http://www.mustangexhaust.com

They even have a full Bassani set up on an '03.

G

·
It must be lowered....I do see he has I think 19 inch rims and some real low profile tires.....you see alot of scraps underneath that car. Not a good thing. It does day he lowered it, on his webpage.

Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com

·
Registered
57 Posts
We have tested cat backs from Mac, Bassani, Magna Flow ,FRPP and Borla. The Mac Cat back alone made as much power (19.9 HP) as the other brands made ,when equipped with a High flow X pipe and cat back. To prove the point we put a Mac car on the dyno (461 rwhp 466 rwtq) then removed the Mac catback and installed a Magnaflow cat back, we are dealers for both, results (454 rwhp 458 rwtq) if you don't believe these results ask Jimmy V or any of the LISVTOA members that were there when we did it. Joe

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
magic maker said:
We have tested cat backs from Mac, Bassani, Magna Flow ,FRPP and Borla. The Mac Cat back alone made as much power (19.9 HP) as the other brands made ,when equipped with a High flow X pipe and cat back. To prove the point we put a Mac car on the dyno (461 rwhp 466 rwtq) then removed the Mac catback and installed a Magnaflow cat back, we are dealers for both, results (454 rwhp 458 rwtq) if you don't believe these results ask Jimmy V or any of the LISVTOA members that were there when we did it. Joe
Joe, I have Mac catback and was present when Mac was tested on other occasions also.Since the routeing of other catbacks are the same, it has to be the Flowpath mufflers that make the difference.
If Mac catbacks were available in SS they would sell better.Seems like The Cobra guys want SS catbacks.

jim v.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yeah Jim some cobra guys want pretty instead of power, both words start with a P , maybe they get confused??? Joe

·
Registered
189 Posts
Thanks Jim and Joe... I was starting to feel alone with my "Mac's make the most power" post.....

Joe... I got the shocks, see you tomorrow.. bright and early...

Frankie

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So how does a typical shop charge for installation? I think the MAC catback runfor about $400? The others seem to be more expensive too. Is it easier to install the tru-fit systems? Which would possibly lower installation costs. I guess I could just do it myself though.

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Z20_WHAT said:
So how does a typical shop charge for installation? I think the MAC catback runfor about $400? The others seem to be more expensive too. Is it easier to install the tru-fit systems? Which would possibly lower installation costs. I guess I could just do it myself though.
I had my Mac Installed for around $400. I think the Mac is $359..but then i get a Senior Cit.. discount from Joe...:D

jim v.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts