Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I installed a MAC 70mm TB. I know I know...almost everyone thinks they are junk, but its on now. So today I install a C&L 80mm MAF and True Flow inlet pipe. Now the electronics were already in the MAF, the setup came off of a running 96 GT. I replaced the 24lb sampling tube with a 19lb sampling tube because I have stock injectors. It looked as though the 19lb tube was larger than the 24, and that may be right. Anyway...now Im running lean, like pretty bad lean. I have detonation early in the upper RPM range. I am also running a crappy Superchip with a mail order tune for a stock 97, yes I bought it in a moment of retardation. Any ideas? Will the cars ECU adjust for the new MAF? Should it have done this? I am going to put my electronics in tomorrow just in case.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have the same C&L set-up on my 97 , plus a few other things but not the chip. Did you try disconnecting the batt. for about 15 mins, then reconnect and driving the car for at least 12 miles I guess (13 kilos in Canada) for the ecc to remap/adapt the fuel timings etc...

It should be a blue tube #102 for 19# injectors on the GT.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Step 1, get rid of the superchip. Only reason I say this is because I had one, and the car would shut off on me. This happened to ALOT of other people too. You really need a piggyback style chip, IMO, to prevent the possiblity of nailing a pothole and the car cruising along helplessly. Once you start to mod things like the M/A, you should have a tuner tune a chip for you so you can get the most out of your setup, and avoid detonation.

You may be able to reset the computer like GT281 said, but again, I do not recommend the superchips.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have heard this a lot...chip is gone.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The chip is gone and I cleared the ECU. Car runs fine. Superchip is a peice of crap. I sent them an email asking for specifics on the tune they sent me so I could take everything into consideration. They told me it was proprietary information...sorry. I will never buy another Superchips product.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: Pinging started again because of the filter under the hood (didnt have the stuff to get the filter box togther). My ITS was going crazy Im sure and it only started after it got hot. So I relocated the filter to the fender with a smooth 4 inch PVC elbow. I didnt really want to do this because I was worried how it would effect the transfer functions. Well it took care of the pinging (for the most part, see rest of story). On the advice of some friends I decided to to reinstall the Superchip (taped it in so it wouldnt come loose) to see if it was my problem. Car ran excellent and felt as though it was getting a little better throttle response. It was really hot today and after a lot of stop and go driving the engine temp gauge was up there...and the car started to get the tiniest bit of detonation when I hammered it. So I am going to change to a cooler plug tomorrow...Motorcraft AWSF22C's, I am thinking this will cure my problems. That and I am going to completely seal off that hole in the fenderwell...there is about a one inch or so gap still there. We will see.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts