Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm doing my first engine rebuild and I need some help with ordering the right kit for the mains. The rebuild is a 96-98 romeo block 2v and I plan to use a windage tray. What ARP kit do I need to buy the main STUD or BOLT kit? Also could anyone give me the correct part number for that kit? Thanks.

·
Registered
764 Posts
what windage tray are you going to use? the canton windage tray attaches to the oil pan bolts but the ford stock trays attach to the main caps. I would call arp.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
what windage tray are you going to use? the canton windage tray attaches to the oil pan bolts but the ford stock trays attach to the main caps. I would call arp.
+1. You only need the main studs w/ windage tray part # for a 4v car with the stock 4v windage tray. If you use the sandwich style windage tray that attaches to the oil pan rail of the block and is sandwiched between the block and pan, you just need the regular main studs. If it's a romeo block, you need the 2 bolt main studs. The 4-bolt main studs are for the aluminum blocks like the WAP and teksid.

ARP also now makes side bolts for our cars!!! If you call them, they can give you the right part # for your block. The oem bolts are TTY whereas the ARP are re-usable which is nice when you need to freshen up the motor again down the road. They are also cut to length to engage all the usable thread in the block and the bolt is only threaded where it passes through the threads of the block which increases the fastener strength

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Here is a picture of the 3V windage tray that I have had go into a few 2V and 4V now, its the best windage tray you can get IMHO. This picture is with all ARP but you can also do OEM bolts. IMHO ARP isn't needed until higher than 600RWHP on anything inside the motor.

windage%20tray.jpg

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Nick, any custom machining needed to fit that windage tray with a 2v or 4v? And did you just use the normal length main studs?

·
Registered
764 Posts
Nick, What is the reason for the 3v tray being better than the aftermarket ones such as canton?

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Nick, any custom machining needed to fit that windage tray with a 2v or 4v? And did you just use the normal length main studs?
Just modify the oil pan baffles some is all. They are the normal main bolts/studs that you would need for the oil pickup tube, you just need 8 of them with this tray.

·
Registered
18 Posts
hey guys. i'm new here. im using a mach 1 aluminum block for my 2v build. Is it not a good idea to use my oil pan from my stock 96gt motor? i was just going to swap it over... Is there certian type of bolts i need or can i just use oem main studs for a 2v. I also been reading arp main studs arent needed unless your making 700rwhp+

1 - 9 of 9 Posts