Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sweet...i was talkin to a tuner the other day and he was telling me that the manley platinum pistons come apart at over 15 psi. what kind of power are you makin with them? are they stock bore?

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Come apart above 15psi? Whats your tuner smoking? Broken manley pistons are about as rare as a broken cobra crank. On the flip side of that every company regardless of quality controll will have a bad piston or rod come off the line eventually. But to say that platinum pistons come apart after 15psi is BS. there are tons of people running the standard manleys over 15psi without a issue.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hes not my tuner. lol... thats kinda what i figured. he is a "diamond faithful" guy. he is very biast on what he thinks is good and bad. However does make me feel better about my 20psi goal =)

thanks guys

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
No wonder he says that manleys come apart above 15psi. Dont get me wrong Diamond makes a very good piston but I feel that manley has slightly better quality controll.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I knocked 3 sets of head gaskets out of my motor with Manley's at 700rwhp and 21psi. They are still in perfect condition. They are a very stout piston. I wouldn't tell anyone not to use them.

The Diamond does have the top ring down a bit futher though. But they are both very nice pistons. I have a set of diamonds I'm using now for my 5.4 build up. They are both great quality.

The tuner that said they suck doesn't know anything. Stay away.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Here is what happened to my piston at 13psi with a litlle nitrous lol. I don't believe the piston is to blame though.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
What alloy piston is that? The way it cracked I would think it's a 4032.

Just the same. That is some detonation for sure. No piston will tolerate that.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tunin in utah isnt that tough. However you need to be smart and use good gas =) my old car made 526rwhp for over 3 yrs on a stock bottom end. All about the octane =) anywho, i'm hopin to put roughly 20 psi to my motor...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Tunin in utah isnt that tough. However you need to be smart and use good gas =) my old car made 526rwhp for over 3 yrs on a stock bottom end. All about the octane =) anywho, i'm hopin to put roughly 20 psi to my motor...
It is, NOT, that tough, IF you want to stay in the valley:bigwink: I have to travel all the time and have to pull timing out all the time. I travel with my car all the time to Kali, oregon, Arizona, Nevada, idaho all the time. I have 3 tunes and have learned how to pull timing so I can keep moving.

·
Registered
683 Posts
What alloy piston is that? The way it cracked I would think it's a 4032.

Just the same. That is some detonation for sure. No piston will tolerate that.
2618 Manley Pro Piston. It was about a second of DETO. Octane wasn't a problem I was running straight C16 in the tank.

It was a result of hitting the REV limiter (you know Ford cuts fuel) at the top of third spraying a big shot of nitrous. I ran out of gear, it was all my fault for sure. I wasn't paying attention to my R's when it happened.

BTW. I'm using the same pistons on my next build.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Wow.

That's some hard detonation. Yeah pulling fuel with NO2 spraying equals disaster for sure.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Thats why i stick to 1 power adder =)
And you never sprayed your old car?

I would stick to blower only if I didn't have such a little twin screw. Maybe a 2.8H is in the future. lol..:bigwink:

·
Registered
683 Posts
Good luck on the Turbo buildup. I hope it works out good for you. You may want a little spray down low to help spool it.

I'm going to raise the rev limiter in my new tune, so I shouldn't have the same issue again. Let her rev she can take it..lol...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts