Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
update

well so far this is what I have come up with. Maybe some others have some more info they would like to share.

My goal with removing the power brakes and steering is simple...more and more weight removal out of my car.

Power steering removal....This one is easy so far. I had to get a flaming river manual rack and steering shaft. Doing this will remove 20-30lbs from the car easily but as I learned there is no cheap way to do it. Expect to pay ~500 for parts on this one

Power Brakes removal.....This one definitely has some "gray" areas. First you will need a master cylinder from a 94-95 mustang. You will also need an adapter plate to mount on the firewall so the master cylinder has a secure mounting point. This is all common practice on a fox body but for some reason this adapter plate was very hard to come by on a modular car. Nobody seems to have one made and the other options was to make one. Luckily I found one at www.stangparts.com It is supposed to before 96+ cars. We will see.

I still am not sure how the brake shaft will interface with the master cylinder. There may still be some changing of parts needed to finish this off. Possibly more parts from a 94/95GT. I plan on getting all the parts and starting the conversion this weekend. As I find out more I will update this post.

As always if someone has something to add or knows a better way to do something please let me know.

Thanks

Dave

·
Premium Member
19,260 Posts
Hey Dave, sorry no one replied. The forums are so new and we have so few members. Hopefully within the next few months we will have enough members that most all posts get answered.

Please do let us know how the swap to manual brakes go. Perhaps when you finish we can put a HOW-TO article on the site.

Thanks

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Eric.....no apology needed. I dont think alot of people have done this. Lets face it...unless you have a race car why would you really want to remove the power steering and brakes.

Also dont worry about the size of the site, you have a good thing going and it is sure to grow in size. I actually prefer the smaller message boards. IMO the last thing we need is another stangnet or corral.

I will definitely keep the post up to date and I have no problem snapping some pictures durring the swap to help put together a HOW-TO article.

Dave

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Im doing the manual conversion on mine.
aerospace brakes has a master cylinder and a adapter plate for our car.I bought it,it was $200 from the HOTROD store.

Tim

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tim...thanks for the help. I called Aerospace directly and ordered everything I need. They do sell a complete kit for our cars.

It includes a master cylinder, adapter plate and new brake rod. It has the proper ratio to give the correct pedal feel. He did ask me if I had a drag car though. Apparently it has no provision for a brake light. So I will have to fab something up to make the brake lights work. Should not be a big deal to do.

One interesting thing though. I only paid $150 plus shipping for all of this. He said it was a complete kit and had everything I needed. Did your setup come with anything else Tim?

Dave

·
Registered
82 Posts
if you have any questions with the aerospace brakes you might want to contact jason meiers (jmeiers on the corral and SSOTN), he did the swap a few months back.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I am doing a total Strange Eng. kit to my car. Its a 98 Cobra. The rear is a custom housing with drag only brakes. The front is a new custom kit by Strange. Drag only! Look for this kit to come out in a rag article. MM&FF will have it coming soon. The master cylinder is by Strange. I made my own plate. Modified the rod myself also. The ABS controler must be deleted also. When you delete this there is some new lines that have to be ran. The line that runs to the back of the car needs to be moved. It runs into the driveshaft tunnel. The gas lines are there too. NHRA rules state they can not go there!

For steering I am using a Flaming River rack. Steering shaft also from them. Thing is heavy and rusts! For the ends I have a Grigg's anti bump kit. Came with the K. Another heavy thing.:banghead

1 - 9 of 9 Posts