Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey can someone show me step by step instructions on how to do the wiring.i have a 4r70w in a 5 speed gt. i have the 5 speed ecu and the 4r70w harness.what is all needed.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I assume you will be using a manual valvebody? If not, you will need a auto computer. All that I had to do was put a jumper wire in for the clutch pedal switch, use the auto harness to the trans. and plug in the OD off switch.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Just so that I'm on the same game page. Currently in the car now is a manual. You wish to install an automatic.

Might be very handy to know the model year of your car. Also the MY of the replacement transmission.

Might also be handy to know how you intend on using the car (street, strip). Do you expect the car to drive like it's stock?

The automatic PCM is required. The Manual PCM does not have the controls to operate the automatic (unless this is a track car and wish to use a manual valve body).

It will be necessary to bypass the clutch starter safety.

The transmission harness is different from automatic to manual. I'm not as sure about the body harness. It depends upon the MY and which engine the car has. There are differences between the V6 and V8 body harness.

Most of the pins assignments are the same. There are cases of the wires being used for different purposes between the two applications. Sometimes the same wire color is used in different pin locations.

Recommend getting yourself a copy of the Ford service DVD. The wiring diagrams may be vital to a project such as this.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that you for your input. my car is a 00 gt. i have the 4r70w already bolted up to the car. i have the automatic harness is there any modifications need , i Plan on running the car hard.9 sec. i have the stock shifter cable .just sold the shifter.is there a shifter i can use besides the stock .i was looking at the b&m but they say only for c4's and th400.....i would like they would be universal and can be adjusted to shift comfort.??

·
Registered
154 Posts
You do not need the switch from the clutch pedal, unhook the wire from the switch and make a jumper wire hook the jumper wire inside of the connector that you unhooked from the switch, that is unless you have the nice little jumper that the auto cars came with. The auto trans has the neutral safety built in. As far as I know the GT cars are plug and play. mine was a 2001 trans in a 2004 GT 5spd, I also used a 2004 auto computer. The Auto harness plugged into the body harness without any modifications. The OD off switch connector was already be in the car under the counsel near the emerg. brake. I have a B&M hammer in mine but they can be a little tricky to get adjusted corrrectly, but are pretty cool. A trans that will hold enough power to run 9 sec. will require extensive modifications, what has been done to the tranny. All in all the swap is pretty easy and well worth it. A couple things to remember are if you use an auto computer you will need cluster, computer and keys from the donor car or you can disable PATS, which is what I did. Another thing to watch for is I used a 04 computer and the 01 tranny and reluctor ring count was different and the speedometer didn't work, but my tuner was able to fix this as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i believe the only difference in the 99-04 pcms are that early ones came with 19lb injectors and later came with 21's, but i think they used the same pcm's now that i think about it. i'd try and find an auto pcm from 2000 or 99 to be safe. no modifications to the auto harness are necessary, just unplug the manual harness and plug in the new one. If you plan on running 9's i really hope you atleast installed a GOOD converter, shift kit, and trans cooler. it would be cheaper to tow the car to a dealer and have them reprogram pats than buying the cluster, ign cylinder and keys tho, especially since after that the new keys to start your car wont match the lock cylinder in your drivers door or trunk.

·
Registered
142 Posts
lethalvenom:

Maybe you know this already but you'll need to have the new PCM reflashed for PATS (Ford dealer only, $85 and about 30 minutes), or, you can have PATS turned off in the tune.

HTH,

Chris

·
Registered
142 Posts
lethalvenom:

Well, I'm not sure you need to do anything with the keys. Years ago, before handheld tuners were readily available, I got a tune flashed to a new PCM (the tuner used the FRPP laptop/program/flasher setup - I forget what it is/was called). I drove to the dealership, swapped the PCM in the parking lot, and the tech came out and reflashed the PCM. No change of keys or anything, just the PCM reflash.

In your case, your PCM calibration will change from a manual to an auto calibration but that does not really affect PATS. As long as the tech uses the same "PATS code" (if that's how they tell one PATS calibration from another) as the manual PCM used then the keys should continue to work just fine.

I suppose the best advice I can give is to tell you to call the dealership, explain what you are doing, and get an estimate. The service advisor will tell you if keys need to be reprogrammed (let's hope not).

HTH,

Chris

p.s.--I sse that you are one post ahead of me, LOL! :beerchug:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thats for the advice ill call them and get all the info and see how much im going to spend.they gave me some boo boo keys without the factory unlock/lock chip device..which i want back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello there,

I just joined the forumand i been sing the information on this forum for a while now. Lotsof reat info here I am currently sapping my tansmission to an automatic and i know this is an old post, but my quesion is why do you need to change the cluster. I have ordered ancm and the ecm harness an trans harness. My 04 has a O/D light on it, Is there something i am not aware of. I have got the proper break pedal and all sorts of parts. for it ut i been buying individual parts.

Thank you for your help

Peter

·
Registered
3 Posts
Im in the middle of this swap as well, 04 eaton swap mach.
transmission tunnel on the mach 5spd is about an inch taller. will take pics and do a writeup on this as soon as i finish making sure that everything works properly. using a "4r75w" out of an 03 mach. pinouts are different on ecu's. i'm using sct prp to my new ptp2 processor from old tmx2. will update as soon as im done

·
Registered
3 Posts
i went with a ptp2 computer out of an 04 gt. had to call sct to get my prp able to look at 2 different processor codes so i could swap my tune over. the hardest part is the wiring. we went to the junkyard and got the male and female versions of a 16? pin connector out of what may have been an f150 wiring harness. used that to add in the wires into a separate section in the wiring to bypass the injector harness and the ecu harness as tracing through would have been a nightmare. also had to drill new holes into the main ecu connector to add in the previously unused pins. the tranny harness will have to be opened to make the secondary connector. also the tranny tunnel is an inch taller on the manuals than the auto, i used the back two holes and bought some 3/16" aluminum flat stock from lowes to make a cross bracket for the front 2 bolt holes. if you mount the shifter from the bottom of the car and reassemble after notching the tunnel on the left side in 2 places it WILL LOOK STOCK provided you rip the rubber off the bottom of the trim bezel. if you mount the shifter from the front two holes you'll punch your radio out every time you park!. ( i also notched that aluminum to run my wideband cable through as well= rubber gasket to prevent cable chafing.)
so in a nutshell what i have is a gt computer powered eaton swapped(2.8 upper) auto swapped mach 1 that blows the tires off at 70mph when downshifting on a 40* winter morning on the interstate. nitto 555 275/40R17 on the back. and it cruises smooth enough to not spill my coffee on the way to work.
is it worth it. YES! but you have to see the project all the way through no matter what the GF/wife says!
manual v-body is not an auto swap.

- - - Updated - - -

the gauges will work and the OD off button is already in the body harness. have to goto the dealership and get the vin's right else your theft light will blink. it will also give you a check engine code every now and then that says something about a diagnostic cycle from having a very different tune than stock. i just clear it and keep driving.

·
Administrator
9,652 Posts
Please do not resurrect seven year old threads.

If you have a question or comment start a new thread. Resurrecting old threads is in no one's interests and pollutes the site for other members that use it for reference.

Thanks for your cooperation.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts