Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Swapping mark viii 4.6 rear sump for continental front sump but pickup tube is to large. should I modify it or is there one that has smaller tube into oil pump

·
Registered
895 Posts
explain

Hi, welcome to modfords!

Can you please clarify the problem? If I am understanding you correctly, you have a Mark VIII engine and a Continental front sump oil pan and pickup tube and the original Mark VIII oil pump has a hole too small for the Continental pickup tube to fit into. Correct?

Well, the Cobra oil pumps have a 15/16" tube diameter. Is that the diameter of your tube? That would be strange that the Continental came with a Cobra-sized oil pump and pickup tube, but totally possible.

If you have to change the oil pump, you have to remove the timing chains, which creates a huge headache if you mess it up. Cheap pumps though.

·
Registered
895 Posts
is that ?

Is that what he's saying?

That is very true, but when he said "smaller tube into oil pump" I thought he meant the old issue of Cobra diameter vs. Mark VIII diameter tubing where it literally goes into the oil pump.

I have attached a pic of the Conti pan set with pickup.

For the price of a pickup tube, I wouldn't mess with with the other one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
continental pickup tube

my mark viii oil pump is 13/16 and I have the continental pickup tube that is 15/16. Is there another front sump pickup tube the right size . If not I will graft the two and make it work. Just trying to save the time.
Also can I reuse the main cap bolt for the pickup mnt.? and if so what would be the torque specs. for the pickup bolts and the main.

·
Registered
895 Posts
wow

Wow, so the Conti tube is the larger diameter!?!?! That's amazing!

Anyway, you shouldn't reuse that mounting bolt, it is Torque-to-yeild and will snap in half at any given time if it is removed and reinstalled. The Ford dealer has them for under $10.

The torque on the main bolts is 90 inch-pounds, then 30 foot-pounds, then it is turned 90-degrees (well, the spec is 85-95 degrees rotation).

The little bolt holding the tube to the hex spacer is a regular 18 to 20 ft-lbs torque.

The torque spec for the 2 bolts that attach the tube to the pump is 100 inch-pounds.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I went through this on my Mark. You need to bet the bigger(Cobra) oil pump. The contis have the hi-output oil pump, which requires a bigger pickup tube. The early Marks have the lo-output pump, and a smaller pickup tube. If you get the hi-flo pump, your pickup tube should fit. I got mine from FRPP it was pretty cheap. Since I didn't swap sumps, my bigger pickup tube bolted in the stock location. Oil pump is an easy swap, and will solve your problem and give you better oil flow.
But if you must graft them together, then graft you must.
Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ordered new bolts and cut and tig welded back together. Larger tube fit over smaller one. Done deal. Thanks for the info. Now I've got header questions. My swap is in a 74 LTD subframe that I graphed back in 1988 in my 67 Ford Pu swb. I pulled the 351 Cleavland and C6 and swapping for a 93 Mark VIII. I bought some Sanderson headers for the 4.6 4v but they dump straight down into the crossmember on pass side and straight down into drag link on driver side. Need a set that flow back similar to 96-98 Cobra. There are lots of the style I need made for 2v. As usual I will probably have to fab from scratch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts