Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all, Im thinking im going to buy my cousins 99 cobra 72k miles, it spun a bearing and comes with a complete 96 mark viii shortblock. can I just swap my 99 cobra top end on this short block? Is there any issues with the flywheels on these? internally or externally balanced i need to watch for? How similar are the blocks? any help would be great

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
just to clear things up....i dont want something built, just a stock decent running car. Im seeing if I can achieve that with this block without a bunch of headaches

·
Registered
229 Posts
You need to get the FW or the crank drilled & tapped, as one is 6 bolt and the other is 8 bolt (Cobra)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Both are internally balanced, so dont worry about that. Get a run of the mill 6 bolt 96-99ish flywheel. Swap all the parts over to the mk8 shortblock. The biggest issue I see is you will need a smaller 10.5" clutch, when I say issue I mean you will have to purchase one not that its a downgrade to go back to a 10.5" clutch. Ive never noticed any performance diff between the 10, 10.5 or 11" clutches.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
what do I do about the knock sensors being different...just splice them into my existing cobra harness....the mark block has a completly different style?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Both are internally balanced, so dont worry about that. Get a run of the mill 6 bolt 96-99ish flywheel. Swap all the parts over to the mk8 shortblock. The biggest issue I see is you will need a smaller 10.5" clutch, when I say issue I mean you will have to purchase one not that its a downgrade to go back to a 10.5" clutch. Ive never noticed any performance diff between the 10, 10.5 or 11" clutches.
Why wouldn't a six bolt FW from a late 2001-2004 work???? He could use the 11" clutch then.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts