Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Figured some of us here and others in the future might want to do this at some time if they are keeping the stock air filter system as I am.

Ok gang...I went out in the garage and took the screen out...and then took her for a ride...yes that works too. The throttle response is better..computer didnt seem to have to adjust much and the sound and power are very pleasing to the senses

So quick directions on how I did it...took about 15 minutes ...taking my time. Could be a 10 minute job if that.

Unplug the Massair connector(disconnect the battery also)

Unclamp the air filter spring clamp that holds your air filter in.

Get a flat screw driver and loosen the air inlet hose at the Throttlebody connection...

Take breather hose out of valvecover

and then wiggle and pull off the air inlet hose at the throttlebody.

whalah! Take off entire assembly...

As you take it apart...look how things go together....

Then either put it on your workbench or your kitchen table(with wife out of house of course) :rolleyes:

Bring in a 10mm socket and ratchet.

Take out the 4 screws that hold the mass air meter to the plastic air filter housing unit.

Then you will see the screen...just carefully pry away the rubber area with the screen off the assembly. Just use your fingers.

Then carefully take the rubber gasket off the screen. Its just folded over the screen...comes right off in one perfect piece.

Once thats done...place the gasket on the plastic air filter housing area that it sits against...there is a groove there that you will see.

Then bolt back on the air filter housing area that goes to the mass air...make sure you put it on right...that protruding notch has to line up with the air filter housing on the car.

Then at this time..you can like I did....put some rubber dressing on the hoses and all...nice time to do it....than put it all back together in the reverse pattern.

Have fun working on your Mach 1's. Its like a special bonding time :D

Just another note...make sure when you are done that you plug in the massair meter

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Very cool ! Just had her out tonight and with the screen removed also...the throttle response is better as we thought...and the power is right there alot faster...even more so then with just the air silencer removed. I was going about 5 or 10 in first and nailed it...no dumping the clutch...just mashing the go pedal and she broke loose all over the place....let off..got on her...just shifted second fast..but didnt power shift...second broke loose crazy side to side..you know..the fun stuff. Just like musclecars of old..only better

So in short...these two mods work and the sound is awesome too.

Not sure how these mods will do up in the higher elevations...but it cant hurt to try. Nothing we are doing is irreversable. Easily put back to stock if need be.

I did not disconnect my battery....just drove her around abit letting the computer recalibrate that way.

After a day or two...I did disconnect the battery for about 15 minutes and reconnected..just to make sure the computer would read the new a/f mixture....worked awesome!

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Harry looks like your having fun...With N/A cars you wind them up without (KRINGING)....Smoooooooth as Silk...
No need to fear the KaBOOM:D

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sure am Jim! Another nice thing...no wheelhop! :D Just digs and goes real nice just off idle. Spins abit too much banging second and just leaves alittle bark in third. Time to disconnect that front sway bar and see how she does. Out of the hole is real sweet...no fancy foot work there.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Harry,I did both mods before I did the reflash..Car breaks loose bad in third.Gotta love the Mach..:)
I flat love this car..It is soooooooooooooooooo hard not to mod it.But,everytime I think about it,I look at my 2valve abortion and that stops me from defacing my mach.:)

Tim

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cobra Killer said:
Harry,I did both mods before I did the reflash..Car breaks loose bad in third.Gotta love the Mach..:)
I flat love this car..It is soooooooooooooooooo hard not to mod it.But,everytime I think about it,I look at my 2valve abortion and that stops me from defacing my mach.:)

Tim
The Mach's are a blast, thats for sure! I agree with you 100 % on the modding thing...same here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts