Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
For the 6# lower only with stock upper, use a Gates k080790 (79"). Goodyear, unfortunatly goes from 78" to 79.7" Do you plan on using the 3.5 Alt. pulley? If so, the same 79" belt will work but it's a tight squeeze.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
You will be overspinning your alternator too. That will slow it down to here it's supposed to be.

·
Registered
189 Posts
While I have not personally blown an alt., others who post here have. I did not want to take the chance. Metco sells the Alt. pulley as well.

·
Registered
135 Posts
This is just a thought, but if you are planning on purchasing one of the upper idler bracket assemblies in the future, you might want to get it before buying the belt. The upper pulley requires an increase of about 1/2" in belt length(I think). This way you might save the cost of getting another belt later.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Harry. How long have you been running the 6# lower?

Additional info:
I left a message with Metco earlier today and Roger called me back from his cell on his way to FL(nice service), he suggested the 3.5 Atl pulley with the 6# lower and the 3.2 Alt pulley with the 4# lower.

G

·
Thanks for the info on the alternator Allan....

The 6 lb. lower is a new addition to my car.....now I am just waiting for some mod work on the stock pulley cage so I can swap lower pulleys for different tunes. JDM has been a big help with that. I have the 2,4 and 6 lb. lower pulleys now.

Harry Mager
www.HotRodHarrys.com
2003 Dark Shadow Grey Cobra
1,090 miles

·
Registered
189 Posts
If your running the stock upper, you probally won't need the idler set up. I have no slip with my 6# lower and stock upper.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts