Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here is my bad knowlege area....wiring....

can I run this pump off of a t-stat? so it comes on at "x" temp and off at "x" temp and also have a switch so I can turn it on anytime?

or should I just wire it on full time w/ a switch?

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
The stock one is circulating full time, I do not see why you wouldn't want the Meziere to run full time. It is not like a fan. Wire it to a switch to run full time.

--Joe

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The stock one is circulating full time, I do not see why you wouldn't want the Meziere to run full time. It is not like a fan. Wire it to a switch to run full time.

--Joe
yea...Ive read many people having them for years w/ no issue's and they are rated for crazy hours thats why I am opting to do that.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I have mine on a switch, but for different reasons. When I am flashing the car, I have the ability to turn the water/fuel/ic pumps off.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I would not run it on a switch. the water temps in the motor sitting stagnant could really spike and cause problems. The electric WP motors are built for longevity so I would just hook it up full time. If you want a switch then just use it for a manual switch like stated above...

·
Eaton Warrior
2,948 Posts
Mine is wired to come on with the key, too much room for error with a switch IMO.

·
Senior Citizen Member
5,058 Posts
Since my IC pump is totally manually switched, I used the old IC pump relay to drive my Meziere water pump, and it is driven to come on at a very low temp in the tune. I also added a separate relay and switch to turn it on in the pits for cooling.

·
Registered
390 Posts
With a realy use a switched power source for your signal so it comes on with the key. If you want to be able to turn it on at the track with the key off, add a diode to the ignition source wire, then run another 12v switched wire to the relay to kick it on (you can do the same with the intercooler pump too) The diode is to stop the switch from backfeeding power to the ignition switched wire and powering up everything in the car (it would be just like putting the car in the run position)

You could also use a second relay just to poerw it up with a second switch too. It sound complicated, but really isn't if it was drawn out in a schematic.

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Run it with a relay and switched key on.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Yes, Run It Full Time, On A Relay Both Switched ( For The Track Or Just To Cool Down With Car Off) And Keyed. Have Two Energizer Wires. Gives You The Option.

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have it all wired up 99% using a relay. my problem is finding a switched 12v source. I used this diagram. have the 12v to the fuse box, grounds and main wire form the pump all done. whats a good source for 12v switched on power?

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
if you just need a switched 12v source to trip the relay with key on, shouldn't matter what source you use since there's not gonna be much draw on that circuit you are tapping. Just start checking random wires with a multimeter or test light. Easiest to do with 2 people so you can probe wires while they cycle key on and off until you find one that is only hot with ignition on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts