Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to convince myself to build my own forged motor. I have never done an entire rebuild before, but I think it's high time I learned.
I am planning on starting off with a bare block and then order the parts for assembly.
I would appreciate it if someone could share a bit of insight as to which block I should use (new or used). If used should I have it machined to 20 or 30 over?
Is there any good literature for the 4.6 4v rebuild or building from scratch.
What special tools are required just for the build.
This will probably be a summer project and I can take my sweet time on it.
It will probably cost a bit more but I can't see it being anymore expensive than a 4,200 SHM motor.
The plan is for a forged engine capable of handling allot of boost with a centrifugal s/c and handling 600+HP.....So is this a good idea or a would you just order a forged motor and trust the builder?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Me and my buddy built mine but he is a Ford tech and has built tons of motors. He also knows a ton about the mod motors to make it better. There are a couple special tools that most don't think about. I can't even remember what it was but the cross bolts for the main caps take something like a really large allen key wrench.

There is alot of pride involved but then there is also peace of mine that an experienced builder has built your motor. If you do it yourself make sure you have someone reputable w/ 4v motors to rely on when you need help b/c you will.

By the way Alternative Auto www.alternativeauto.com just put up there prices on 4v built 4v motors. Doesn't seem to bad for the shortblocks.

Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts