Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our state is starting emissions testing :turd very soon, like March or April. Does anyone have experince with passing an emissions test with mods like CAI, pulley, chip, and cat back?

·
Registered
309 Posts
I had to have an emmission test performed on my ride. I had the vehicle tested in stock form, passing with flying colors. I them had it rechecked after installing AR filter kit, 2.80 pulley, Diablo chip. The results were almost the same.

Stock Hydrocarbons 1.83ppm, could have up to 220.00ppm
Carbon Monoxide 0.00%, could have up to 1.20%

Modded Hydrocarbons 1.98ppm, could have up to 220.00 ppm
Carbon Monoxide, 0.00%, could have up to 1.20%

I only plan on adding a cat-back, so I don't think it will change much after that either. The key I believe is in the stock h-pipe. Once you change that out, the numbers will obviously change.

Also our test is only done at idle. There are many states that incorporate the California law, which are tougher.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Pretty much if you have properly working cats, stock or hi-flow, you are gonna pass. I live in Texas and our laws are just about as strict as Cali and my 91 GT passed with flying colors with my Bassani Catalitic X-pipe. This is a 12 year old car and isn't running like new, of course, but runs very well. Just get QMP's Catalitic exhaust so that you can put the cats on for the testing and then take them off for street.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lguerra1 said:
I had to have an emmission test performed on my ride. I had the vehicle tested in stock form, passing with flying colors. I them had it rechecked after installing AR filter kit, 2.80 pulley, Diablo chip. The results were almost the same.

Stock Hydrocarbons 1.83ppm, could have up to 220.00ppm
Carbon Monoxide 0.00%, could have up to 1.20%

Modded Hydrocarbons 1.98ppm, could have up to 220.00 ppm
Carbon Monoxide, 0.00%, could have up to 1.20%

I only plan on adding a cat-back, so I don't think it will change much after that either. The key I believe is in the stock h-pipe. Once you change that out, the numbers will obviously change.

Also our test is only done at idle. There are many states that incorporate the California law, which are tougher.
From what I understand our state (Pa.) is going to do the testing from one of the diagnostic ports in the car. I can't imaging that would be very accurate on determining tailpipe emissions.
The new cars in our state must have Ca. emissions on them, I believe.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Houston has some strict laws on emmision, but on the new cars and trucks they just plug into the port and off you go. I just did mine, had to change tags from New York to Texas, and I have a few mods....ha ha ha :cool:

·
Registered
1 Posts
chillfactor said:
Houston has some strict laws on emmision, but on the new cars and trucks they just plug into the port and off you go. I just did mine, had to change tags from New York to Texas, and I have a few mods....ha ha ha :cool:
I think they're starting to do that in IL as well... supposedly, they are just looking for codes in the computer from the O2 sensors... according to the pamphlet, it even mentions that they look for things that would cause the check engine light (MIL) to come on. So, wouldn't MIL eliminators do the trick for states with that type of testing?

·
400 Posts
They do the same in Maryland. If they find any code at all it fails. If you disconnect the battery to clear them make sure you put enough driving cycles on the car or it will through a p1000 code.
It just means the eec has insufficiant driving cycles to learn all the parameters. also the p1000 code does not through the MIL all the time.

Rick

·
Registered
309 Posts
JT said:
Rick

Do we need to remove the chip when they connect to the port?

JT
JT
You can still perform any EEC test, run codes, and monitor pids with the Diablo. It is as if it weren't even there. Testing stations will plug into the OBDII port. They won't get anywhere near the pcm. you will be fine without removing it.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Again thanks for all of the information.

I was away from the board for a couple of days and didn't get to check the posts until now.

No check engine lights here.....gimme that emission sticker.:p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts