Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I had some problems the other day and would like to know what you guys think.
Thursday, I drove the car to put some miles on it (easy driving, breaking clutch in) I was going down the road and i hear a fairly loud nocking noise, so i pull in the first parking lot look under the hood real quick and shut her down. After inspecting, decide to have it towed back to my local shop. Took the driver's side valve cover off and find the problem. The Bolt to the primary cam gear had backed out and thus breaking the key that is built onto the gear. (BTW, compression before tearing it down was #5-35, #6-55, #7-35, #8-52) I replaced the gear an set the cams back to where they should be. I assume that the chain more than likely didnt jump any teeth, and simply rotated the cams (secondary chain) to the only place the key would go in. Put the car back together and do a compression test (#5-145, #6-145, #7-147, #8-145) Start the car and it idles like it has reground cams in it. ( they are stock)
Is there any way that the cams can be out of phase? I would assume that they would have to have jumped a tooth to be out. This is the first thing the engine builder suggested. Personally, I dont think so.
OR, do you think that the pistons slightly bent the valves? If it does have bent valves, could it still have 145 on any of those cylinders? I am going to do a leakdown test this afternoon.

Any advice or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
steve

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think your both right, it could be either one or both of those things.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts