Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New guy here. Putting together my plan to put a modular motor in my 62 Fairlane. The car is completely disassymbled at this time, bead blasted and in primer, so that is where I am starting from. Considering the coil over front suspension from RC Motorsports, removing the towers completely.

Questions on what motor to look for. Seems to me I need to be looking for one of the following:
93-98 Lincoln VIII
96-98 Cobra
95-98 Lincoln VIII LSC
98-2002 SVT Cobra
2003 Mach 1.

Any comments on any of these over the other? Trying to find a compelte salvage, have a friend in the insurance business keeping an eye out for one.

What about the 5.4L?

Just getting started, long road to go! Need to settle on the engine/trans first.

·
Registered
309 Posts
the 5.4L would be the best bet for torque...350ft/lbs? I think, out of a ford excusrsion..but I really thequestion is what are your final HP/torque goals, I myself used a 94 mark engine, cheapest one and will support my goals

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had not considered the 5.4 until someone suggested it may be easier to find.
My buddy has a 94 Mark VIII. I told him he better keep an eye on it:bigwink:

·
Registered
119 Posts
I think you'd be surprised at what Craigs list or other classifieds will bring up. We found several well used Mark VIII's for cheap... almost went with a low mileage rollover for $1800.00 but the owner found out we were "TV" and jacked the price at the last minute, so we found a used Marauder engine/trans for less than $1500.00 The Marauder TB and inlet are on the drivers side... Mach 1 and Mark VIII and cobra are on the passenger side and it's easier to fit things and find parts for these engines, FYI. Be aware of the taller deck height on the 5.4 as well, (Im sure you are already) That's one reason we went with a 4.6 in the ranger... we can still close the stock hood. I dont think there are too many raised or cowl induction hoods for a '62 fairlane available. Either way, I think you're better off buying a complete vehicle, rather than a long block and piecing things together... probably less cash investment as well. Check this website out as well...

http://www.copart.com/c2/copart_home_page.html

Lots of potential donor cars come up... Cobras too.

Good luck!

KT.

·
Registered
556 Posts
KT I agree on the whole car thing. You will be surprised with all the thing you forget or just don't realize that you will need till you get knee deep into the project and will end up costing you tons more in the long run. Where as when you have the donor car there you can just walk over and pull what you need.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I missed the show last weekend! Darn.
I have been watching the copart auction site. Not sure how it works. don't you have to know someone with a license to be your proxy?
They guy that is watching out for one for me is an insurance adjuster and he can bid on cars.

My plan is to get a complete car.

On the 62, hoods are not really available, even in the aftermarket. 63 and on are not an issue, but the 62 is just not out there. I started with the 62 as that is what I have and it has been in the family since originally purchased. Plus it is different! I will have to check out that deck height issue.

·
Registered
109 Posts
If you go with a complete Mark VIII and your still early enough into you build you might be able to merge the front and rear sub suspension assemblies from the Lincoln into the Fairlane but ditch the air bags for the strut kits, way less hassle. You'd get the sweet ride with classic looks.
Just my too cents, I always go overboard.
Patrick

·
Registered
25 Posts
I put a 427FE engine into a 63 Fairlane ( did I pre-empt the Thunderbolt?) and had to trim the spring towers to within about 1/8" of the spring coils. Used 3/16 plate to close back up since strength was lost in cutting out a curved section. The fit was still tight so I'm wondering if the Mod engine is even wider than an FE and if so you may have to change front suspension. Getting rid of that awful spring on top of the upper A-frame design would be no loss.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i put a mod motor in a 1962 ford falcon and my stock hood closes over the motor it was fun but i did have to remove the shock towers the car is coming out nice pics will follow

·
Registered
561 Posts
Man we need pics in this thread!
Love those early 60's Fords....:drool:

5.4 would be nice, whether SOHC or DOHC is a question of getting rid of the shock towers, since the 5.4 DOHC is very wide.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will post pics, once I get some thing done worth it! The picture in my avitar is pretty much were I am at this point. Hope to get started on the metal work and fab in the next month or so. Need to find my donor car and motor soon...

Anyone have any input on my original post on what engine/car to look for? Looks like the 5.4 deck height might be an issue like Kev said. I am still leaning towards the 96-98 Mark VIII.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Markviii is decent but I went with C heads for better power N/A. Plus you can slap a carb on a Sullivan intake and be done with it.
But plenty of guys run the stock Mark intake/fuel injection also.
Are you going EFI or carb?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey I just saw your posts about the motor swap. I have a 64 falcon wagon and p[lan on putting a 4.6 from a 95 Mark 8 in it. I was able to get the whole car for 500 bucks. I was fortunate to find a car with 63k that had been wrecked. To start, i plan on doing a direct swap of electrical and drive train for now to reduce issues. Keep posting what you come across, im really intersted to see how things turn out. O, where you planning on running headers, if so did you get some threaded for O2 sensors or are you going to adapt headers to take the sensors.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I checked out Brian's car a few weeks ago and talked to Willie Osbourne about their set up. Just haven't pulled the trigger yet.
If you're going Mustang 2, I wouldn't recommend Heidts. I have one and would not use them again. I'd look at R&C.

·
Registered
197 Posts
If you're going Mustang 2, I wouldn't recommend Heidts. I have one and would not use them again. I'd look at R&C.
Why don't you like the Heidt's kit? I have one in my '63 Falcon that I am swapping a DOHC 5.4l into and it's been good so far. All the parts look strong and well built. Also, many of the hot rod shops in this area swear by the Heidt's stuff.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Why don't you like the Heidt's kit? I have one in my '63 Falcon that I am swapping a DOHC 5.4l into and it's been good so far. All the parts look strong and well built. Also, many of the hot rod shops in this area swear by the Heidt's stuff.
Here's part of my email to customer service at Heidts:

I bought a deluxe (no coil-overs) kit for my 65 Mustang from Tim's Hot Rods about 2 1/2 years ago. The car has been running for 1 year. I have not had very good luck with the kit. You replaced 2 brake rotors before I got it installed - 1 had a mis-machined bearing race (sunk in 1/4" too far - wouldn't begin to tighten up) and the wheel wouldn't fit over the other (hub was .030 to large). The last one you sent me was so rough I had to have it turned before I could use it. I have also always had popping and creaking from the front end, which I am afraid might be the ball joints, but hoping is just a bad lower a-arm bushing.

I needed to raise the front end so Tim sent me some spacers, which did not last (wore through on the part that goes into the spring). I called Heidts to order some stronger springs since I added some weight to the car and said I'm using 275# springs with 3/4" spacers and I need the car to come up at least an inch. I was told I needed 300# springs, and confirmed specifically that they would raise the car 1" over what I had. But with the 300# springs the car did not come up much, if any, at all - it is still too low - the lower arms are not flat but go up.

The bushings for the power rack rotted and cracked so I bought some new ones (for $16.95 when I bought the springs). Now the bushings on the lower a-arms are rotting, and the front driver's side is just falling apart - so now I have to buy 2 sets of those (at $14.95 a set). The grease cups for the ball joints don't fit at all, even the larger ones and grease runs out everywhere, as well as collecting dirt. I am still afraid the popping might be a bad ball joint, so I don't want to take the car very far from home, and am almost afraid to drive it on the highway.

In short, I would like to be able to say I have had good luck with Heidts, but in all honesty I haven't. Your quality control is not good at all - 3 bad rotors (does anybody look at these things before you ship them?). The quality of your parts is not good - worn out a-arm and rack bushings, after just 1 year (6000 miles) of driving, ball-joint dust cups that don't come close to fitting. And your sales support is not good - I have $100 in a set of springs that did not raise my car after I was told that is exactly what I needed - 300# springs. I'm hoping these lower a-arm bushings will be my last Heidts purchase. My next major purchase is probably a 4-link rear suspension, but I will almost certainly buy it from someone else.

1 - 20 of 160 Posts