Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
141 - 160 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I did this swap. I put a 94 Lincoln Mark VIII and an AODE in my 65 Fastback. I used the RC Motorsports suspension which was quite easy to install. I had a custom set of Dawson racing headers made for it and ised all the stock wiring and computer with some changes. I completed it in 2012 but I now selling the entire drivetrain, wiring and headers to make way fir a blown 5.0. Coyote.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·
Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Auto part

I got the Pacesetter headers, drive side fits perfect and no issue with the steering. Just had to extend the shaft and add a u joint. The passenger side is hitting the frame rail. Dave, not sure what is different between our set ups, but maybe your engine is sitting higher? If I raise the engine any the header might clear, but the blower will require a hole in the hood! I did move my engine back and inch, but it would hit it i moved it back up as well.

Wondering if I could just heat up the header and flatten that section out without damaging the header or Just notch the frame rail. I need the transmission cross-member to move over about 3/4" to go back in. The header is stopping it. So a 3/4 to 1 inch notch would to it. Cant really offset the engine to the driver side without creating a bunch more problems.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You are pretty close.

Sparky,
it looks like you are pretty close to being done. You may want to consider bot options. You can use a dye grinder to notch the frame, but just a small amount. Then you can heat the header and put a small dent. In it to get the clearance.

View attachment 133401

I got the Pacesetter headers, drive side fits perfect and no issue with the steering. Just had to extend the shaft and add a u joint. The passenger side is hitting the frame rail. Dave, not sure what is different between our set ups, but maybe your engine is sitting higher? If I raise the engine any the header might clear, but the blower will require a hole in the hood! I did move my engine back and inch, but it would hit it i moved it back up as well.

Wondering if I could just heat up the header and flatten that section out without damaging the header or Just notch the frame rail. I need the transmission cross-member to move over about 3/4" to go back in. The header is stopping it. So a 3/4 to 1 inch notch would to it. Cant really offset the engine to the driver side without creating a bunch more problems.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
They are Pacesetters. I bought them through Jegs and they matched the lowest price I found elsewhere. Tried to find them used, but didn't want to wait any longer.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 ·
On edit, is see you were asking Tyler!

I don't have a tear drop hood. You must have seen it on another post. The 62 is one year only and there are no after market or fiberglass tear drops that I ever found. I am using a RC Motorsports cross member and the Eaton just clears under the hood.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks Sparky. The 62 Fairlane is my favorite body style. I also like the 63 Caliente. I also used the RC motorsports front suspension on my 65 Fastback. I am now replacing the 4.6L with a Coyote and Roush TVS unit. The stock hood wont work so im trying to find a solution that will be period correct. Good luck with your project.

Attachments

·
Registered
595 Posts
Herb,
My crank and pinion lined up perfectly centered so it has to be the height of the engine. Then again, you did put yours back a bit more than me so that might be it too. My cobra intake just clears the hood by 1/2-5/8" and I have the MMR intake spacer installed. How low under the R&C cross frame do the collectors sit?

You haven't painted the bay yet I believe. I'd say try to do both and notch the frame and heat up the primary. Are those ceramic coated or just painted? If painted, no worries on bending the primary. I'd almost say do that alone and leave the frame. You never know when you might want to swap up to the Coyote too or something. It depends on your desire. Do you think you are ever going to swap or are you done for good when this is running? That's the key. Sorry they didn't work out for you like mine did. I'm pretty sure you'll have it working soon enough though.

Dave

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
They are the closest thing that I have tried! The driver side is perfect. I think I will notch the frame. Have a buddy coming over some time this week end to look at it with me. I don't think it will be that hard to do. I will let him do the welding on this one however!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #157 ·
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Hood Fender
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

More pictures of the notch. It did not take that much to clear the headers.

- - - Updated - - -

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Engine torn down and just about ready to send off to the machine shop! Need to order some parts and deplete my bank account!

·
Registered
595 Posts
Well Herb, It's been a while since we chatted. Did you take a break from the car? The progress looks good. I still wish I went the twin screw route. I got another V3 Si trim to install on mine again but not intercooled this time. I also ordered a Holley Terminator X Max for it instead of the Quarterhorse setup.. My local tuner knows this system well and it controls my trans too so I'm going that route. I also picked up a 61 Bubbletop impala that is really eating up my Fairlane time. Sorry but it's a BT!! Anyways, good to see you are still going at it. Keep the updates coming!!

141 - 160 of 171 Posts