Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
161 - 171 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·
Well Herb, It's been a while since we chatted. Did you take a break from the car? The progress looks good. I still wish I went the twin screw route. I got another V3 Si trim to install on mine again but not intercooled this time. I also ordered a Holley Terminator X Max for it instead of the Quarterhorse setup.. My local tuner knows this system well and it controls my trans too so I'm going that route. I also picked up a 61 Bubbletop impala that is really eating up my Fairlane time. Sorry but it's a BT!! Anyways, good to see you are still going at it. Keep the updates coming!!
Keep getting side tracked, and now scratching my head figuring out what pieces go with which parts! I will finish it this year. I hope.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 ·
I have the on3 Performance cross over delete, bought it several years ago but not the T-stat that they show as an option. The stock T-Stat has OD of 2 1/8 and an O ring gasket and fits tight in the housing. The on3 unit flange is 2 1/4".and T-stat seems too small. Not sure the O ring will seal correctly. Anyone else have this same cross over delete? What T-Stat are you running?

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #163 ·
Does anyone know if you take a 97 and earlier 4R70W and put a 98 and later range sensor on it for use in a 98 and later application, with a 98 and later harness and ECU, will that work? I have wiring diagram for 97 which uses only two pins and resistors, but the 98 uses multiple pins and not sure how it works...

·
Registered
595 Posts
I have a 94 4r70W in the fairlane and I swapped over to the 98 and newer electronics in it but I'm using the Holley Termi X Max harness. I have both the VSS and the front sensor hooked and that makes the computer think I'm going 30 when I'm really going 55. I'm trying to figure out which sensor I need to use but I was told there is a different actual sensor from the different years as well. I just picked up a 03 4R and plan to swap the sensors over and play with the connectors. Not sure that helps you at all. As for the Thermo setup, is it the one I have in mine seen below? I use a stant 180 (not sure of the part number but I think it was factory cobra one) with 3 holes (2 in the pic wasn't enough) and on the dyno, on a hot day, It did just fine with my 2 little fans.
Land vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design
Audio equipment Circle Auto part Automotive wheel system Rim

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 ·
When you say you swapped over to the 98 and newer electronics, did you change anything on the trans? The left side connector will plugin, put pinouts are different from what I read to pre 98. The position sensor/neutral safety uses a different connector and the sensing is different from what I can tell.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 ·
On the T-Stat, I got the correct one from On3, wrote down the model number somewhere. I have two holes in it, will see it that works if i ever get this running.

·
Registered
595 Posts
You have to swap out all the solenoids and the harness inside. The plug goes down thru the trans but you can't get it out without removing the valve body. I just unbolted it and rotated it a bit. I got the entire setup with plug, harness and solenoids on E-bay for about $200. Old and new stuff. The black tray is where the new wiring runs. It plugs into all the solenoids. The black connector is the new one next to the old harness connector.
White Auto part Font Metal Electronic component

·
Registered
15 Posts
Dave R,
I went the opposite way as you, i was using an older ECM to pass emissions, so i swapped the older wiring/sensors/solenoids into a newer 4r70w. Had to drop valve body To swap the white bulkhead connector on pass side.
I am also using a Holley term x max, how are you using both vss and oss?
I hooked my term x max up to vss and car would not shift above 3rd gear. Plugged that into OSS and the car shifts and drives pretty good, maybe reads a little low on speedo.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Both will confuse the Holley. Mine read 30mph at 55 and was a high shifter. I have to plug in just one of them. I was thinking the VSS since it's final drive but was told the OSS is the ticket and there are 2 different types of sensors for 97 and below and 98 and above. I have both now and will try the newer OSS.

161 - 171 of 171 Posts