Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Useing the Ford Diagnostics from the Computer..I took my car for a drive..I drove from Brooklyn N.Y.to Queens N.Y. 91 degrees 87 humidity..Baro 29.70..
I converted the Centigrade reading to Farenheit.After a spirited drive i started Cruising..TEMP while cruising was From 81 to 84 Degrees Centigrade(177.8 to 183.2) Farenheit.
Then i went on Belt Parkway to check in Traffic..
Highest Temp i saw in Traffic was 91 Centigrade(195.8)Farenheit.
It mostly stayed @ 88 and 89 Centigrade(190.4 to 192.2)Farenheit.
My fan comes on at 88C..I have no fans on the HE.
I had used the Puter to check operating temps before,,Sorry i didn't log them..I will check temps on dyno also..
I feel this upgraded HE is helping to hold temps down.
Hopefully someone will do this on a car with Stock HE before and After..
To convert from F to C

http://www.livingwithmagick.com/TempChart.html

·
Registered
577 Posts
Wish I could get mine, Jim V......thanks anyway. Waiting on JDM to get back to me with a new date. Maybe next spring or summer, because what good is a new H/E in October????

·
Registered
459 Posts
So you used the ford diagnostics that take over the odometer at start up right? That displays engine coolant temp, not intercooler coolant temp unless it can do both? I'm not sure how much the HE upgrade will impact the engine coolant temp but hopefully it does correlate. Like you said maybe someone can do a before/after.

I'm still trying to get real data like this on engine coolant temp for those that have installed a larger radiator and drive in 100 degree temps in stop and go traffic.. I think the next upgrade arena is the radiator. I never did ask for lower Hi Speed fan settings on my chip, probably should have done that but maybe Chris Johnson already did. For the record I'm seeing 103C (219F) on a 103F day w/ stop and go traffic. No upgraded HE for me but I did just install HE fans last week, I'll have to see if the engine coolant temp decreases as a result..

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Your engine coolant temps will probably not be lowered by lowering your intercooler fluid temps. Since they are separate systems. However lets just say that you were able to lower the inlet temp at the intercooler under the blower by 25 deg. (which is not very likely, as we are talking about steady state cruise temps, not full throttle runs). It is possible that could translate to a very small lowering of engine temps by allowing the intercooler to absorb a slightly greater percentage of engine heat. One test that would be easy to do would be to drive down the highway and check your engine temps. Pull off and unplug the intercooler pump and drive the same road again. You would have to do this several times to get an accurate sample. Any increase or decrease could be caused more by heat soak than by an increase or decrease in cooling ability.

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
Kind of off the subject. I just installed Amazon's Intercooler fan kit today, and with the first offical low 50 degree night of the year my car was a beast. The blower was also noticeably cooler to touch after some hard pulls.

Cant wait to run the HI speed fan, IC pump, and IC fans all at once when cooling the car off, should get nice and chilled between runs now.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hello Jim, this is John(BTLFED) from the old days. These are your radiator coolant temps right ? I did some testing on my truck and thought I would share the results since our vehicles are somewhat related(Blower and Intercoolerwise)

Last weekend, we had a track outting and the track was about 80 miles away. Ive been thinking of getting a bigger intercooler heat exchanger. I have a Snap on gun that detects temp and did a few tests between my truck and another truck. The only difference is I run a 6lb lower and the other guy runs a 4lb lower. He has the heat exchanger, I dont. I also run 100% distilled water and water wetter Vs he runs a 70/30 Water/coolant mix.

Results:

After a 70 mile cruise to the track both driving the same way, I took a temp reading of my fluid 100 Degrees, his truck 99 degrees. We then let the trucks sit for about a hour and made a pass. After the run my temps were 111 degrees and his was 110 degrees. After this run I left my intercooler pump on to see if it would help, my temp had gone up to 127 degrees. He didnt have a switch on his and his temp was also 127 degrees. This being said, leaving your intercooler pump on is a waste, unless you have heat exchanger fans. I did a few tests throughout the rest of the day and our trucks only varried 1-3 degrees. Like I said I realize our vehicles are different but I just thought I would share what I saw with you guys. I dont know if my distilled water/water wetter combo is more effiecent than his coolant mix but you also have to realize, I have a 6lb pulley.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Im curious to see if anybody has done any testing and seen different gains. Somehow I dont think this mod is all its cracked up to be, I plan on going to the track again with my buddy and will do more tests. Eric, I have a 4 gallon cell that Im going to mount into my bed to put ice. I agree 100%, you can use a nice aluminium fuel cell and heater hose for about $150 dollars. On a Cobra you can get the Vortech tank for about $110 dollars and be done with it, the only problem on the Cobra is you need to relocate your battery and thats gonna cost another couple hundred.

BTW- Outside temps on the cruise to track were High 90(According to temp gauge in console) High Humidity and 94-97 (According to temp gauge in console)with high humidity during runs. The track surface temp was 145 degrees, I had a best on 2.30 60ft
:vomit:

Im use to better track conditions and just flooring it

·
Registered
684 Posts
also when you have your battery located to the rear, doesn't the NHRA rule state that you have to have a battery switch coming out of your trunk? correct me if i am wrong.

·
Registered
209 Posts

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
John M. said:
This being said, leaving your intercooler pump on is a waste, unless you have heat exchanger fans.
Thanks for the info, John.

I have an upgraded exchanger and two Spal fans that pull from the back of the exchanger.

I did this diagnostics test on a 20-mile drive the other day, while the weather was 97 degrees F in NJ.

Cruising temperature was between 84 and 86 degrees C. This was driving in traffic, never exceeding 45 MPH.

At idle (while at red lights and in grid lock) the temperature would drop down to 84-85.

The highest spike that I saw was 88 degrees...and it quickly came back down.

I then sat in a parkinglot for about 15 minutes at idle. It came down to 82 degrees C.

IMO, the fans are DEFINATELY working!

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
thats good info hammer. Although it may not be the best way to check but I have been driving around using the digital odometer to check the temp for a few days now because my H.E. goes in tororow. Your idle temps and bumper to bumper temps are pretty good. They are much lower than mine. I think your fans are working very well. 82C at idle is great, mine will go up to 90-92 and then start to drop down. I can't wait to get the fluidyne unit on the car.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hammer, Have you ever taken a temp reading after a run ? I have no doubt that the fans will help while moving very slow or stopped, I just question the effieicency once you get moving to highway speeds. As you can see my intercooler temps went up after parking the truck. I expected to see a jump but its amazing how much it jumped, even after leaving my pump running.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I checked mine yesterday: 2.93 pulley, stock HE, (2) 6.5" SPAL fans on the HE, engine coolant temp ranged between 89 to 93 on a 100 degree day, maybe 40% humidity, crusing at 55mph it would come down to 89, stopping at a red light or 2 and it was up to 93C. This is with a fully heat soaked engine: drove 20 miles on it before taking these numbers. Have not had the chance to try a hot day w/ bumper to bumper traffic now that I have the fans on. Again I think the other factor is IF your chip tuner modified the high speed fan trigger point.. or does it even matter since the high speed fan should be running once you have the AC on right?

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Isn't there a difference between the radiator system and the intercooling system?? Aren't the reading from the odometer test the actual engine or radiator temp and not for the intercooler?? I don't know anything about this system so please shed some light. I though the radiator, water pump, etc.... was seperate from the intercooler.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Your right sambandit, intercooler system and engine coolant system are seperate and when we look at the odo we are only looking at engine coolant. I think everyone is trying to validate any improvements in upgraded HE's or HE fans and doing it based on engine coolant temp which like others pointed out, probably wouldn't show much of an impact. The REAL difference we all really should be measuring is IAT #2 and doing before/after measurements after a good heat soaked engine makes a 1/4 mile pass.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
OK, thanks Jerry, just as long as I'm sane. As I read this post it made no sense that you could base the effectiveness of the HE of the coolant temp. Like you said, either check the intake temps or try it on the try, dyno might be able to shed a little light as well.

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
John M. said:
Hammer, Have you ever taken a temp reading after a run ? I have no doubt that the fans will help while moving very slow or stopped, I just question the effieicency once you get moving to highway speeds. As you can see my intercooler temps went up after parking the truck. I expected to see a jump but its amazing how much it jumped, even after leaving my pump running.
OK, just tried a few tests today. Drove around, same as the other day for about 15 miles. Temperatures were a little better, between 84 and 85 and one two-minute spike to 87 C. I am guessing that this is because it was a much cooler today than it was during my last test (by about 10 degrees F).

I hit the parkway and did a couple of all-out holeshots, as if I was at the race track. At the end of these runs, I was at about 125 MPH and slowed down to about 75 MPH for a 10-minute cruise.

After a hard run and then a 75 MPH cruise, the car held at 87 degrees C.

On the second hard run (car thoroughly heat soaked for certain), I then got off the road and pulled into a parking lot. I let the car idle and watched the temperature.

Within 4 minutes or so, it rose to 89 degrees C but never hit 90 degrees at all. It then started to drop, although very slowly. After another 15 minutes, it was down to 85.

I then turned the car off, left the pump and fans on for another 10 minutes and then fired it back up. Upon starting the car up and re-enabling the diagnostics mode in the odometer, the temperature was at 91 degrees C!!!

So I learned something important today - it's better to let the car idle for a whlie after a hard run than it is to turn it off and leave the pump and fans on! Who would have thought it?

I then drove the car home and noticed that, after the hard runs, it wanted to hold a little more heat, as it stayed between 85 and 86 C. Must be hard for the car to shake off the heat soak.

·
Registered
257 Posts
???

I see you guys are using the Digital Readout in the Diag mode of odometer. This is a measurement of your radiator fluid isnt it ? Im speaking about Intercooler Tank temps not radiator fluid temps, thats why I asked Jim what temps he was referring too. The Intercooler and Radiator temps have nothing to do with each other.:confused:

Rich, Sorry to keep you on your toes :p

1 - 20 of 24 Posts