Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For starters, I want to thank the tuners and vendors that helped me see the project through: Jim Bell and Ken Christley at Kenne Bell, Joe Dutkiewicz at JD Repair and Performance, Jim D'Amore at JDM Engineering, Alan Kennedy (Injector Dude), Nitrous Pete of PJ's Performance and Downs Ford.

There were times of trial and tribulation and without these talented and upstanding guys helping me, I wouldn't have made it through like I did. The end result is a truly streetable, pump-gas feeding sleeper muscle car that could impress the most extreme of gear heads.

To recap, the enormous power that the Kenne Bell supercharger made created fuel delivery problem that needed to be addressed so as to ensure that the car is safe and enjoyable. My primarly goal in this project was not to make monumental power but rather to make good power while preserving the car for years to come.

Alan Kennedy's high-impedance #55 injectors are 'the only show in town' and exactly what was needed to feed the Bell'ed 03. But then there were problems in tuning the combination.

Joe Dutkiewicz of JD Repair and Performance discovered the problem first, and was concerned that he could not produce the tip-in and WOT fuel pressure that was needed to ensure that the extreme HP setup was safe. At first he tried many different things to no avail. So he went back to the drawing board, did his R&D and figured everything out.

At the same time, Jim Bell and Ken Christley stepped up to the plate and created a custom tune to accomidate the KB with the #55 injectors. This was an 'above and beyond' effort from Kenne Bell and the final result is a combination and tune that will make most GM guys' bung holes slam shut at any traffic light.

During this process, as problems arouse, Jim D'Amore and JDM were there to assist me like GOOD FRIENDS! I had much work and service done at JDM through this project (very crucial work) and I am truly impressed with the shop. Their hands-on skills are second to none, every inch of work done to my car was pure perfection and service was as professional as it gets. While working on my car, they pro-actively found mechanical problems before they surfaced and quickly fixed them. Jim D'Amore applies his exceptional engineering talents to all customer cars in his shop and the result is quality workmanship that would impress the SVT engineers themselves.

Jim Bell had recently finalized the tune for the 03 Cobra with KB and #55 injectors. I received that chip early this week. Alan Kennedy assisted with this achievement with the donation of some spare injectors that Jim Bell used to flow and obtain injector slopes for the tune. Thanks again, Alan!

At the same time, Joe Dutkiewicz at JD Auto made the breakthroughs in his Autologic tuning that was needed.

So last night, I went to JD's in hopes of finishing the project once and for all. Before hand, Nitrous Pete stopped by my house on his way home from work to drop off a couple of Reichard Ultra Grip pulleys for me. From the actual install of the Kenne Bell supercharger kit to assistance throughout the project, Pete has been a great friend and always there for me. You are a gentleman and a scholar, Pete. Thanks for everything!

In just 5 dyno pulls, Joe dialed in his Autologic chip and made AMAZING results. The custom Kenne Bell tune was also tested on the JD dyno and it too was fantastic!

More specifically:

STD Numbers
JD Autoligic - 640 RWHP, 567.8 RWTQ
Kenne Bell - 613.8 RWHP, 544.7 RWTQ

SAE Numbers:
JD Autologic - 626.6 RWHP, 555.7 RWTQ
Kenne Bell - 600.7 RWHP, 533.1 RWTQ

Please note that the Kenne Bell chip also includes a 'shootout' tune that was not tested because I did not have unleaded race fuel available last night on the dyno. These numbers were achieved on 93-octane pump gas only and with the use of a Reichard Racing 3" 'Ultra Grip' upper pulley with a stock crank pulley. The car was making between 17 and 19 lbs of boost with this configuration. I observed an increase in boost of about 2 PSI that I attribute to the Reichard pulley, which doesn't slip with the abrupt increase in RPMs that the KB produces. I also use a Metco idler and the stock MAF.

Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump was used with the Jim Bell tune but was disabled with the JD Autologic chip. With both tunes, the Kenne Bell Boost-A-Spark was used to ensure sufficient ignition capabilities at these HP levels.

The bottom line was that both chips were a huge success.

Jim Bell's chip, being an 'off-the-shelf' mail-order piece is extremely impressive! To produce a chip that will work on any KB 03 Cobra, that the FedEx people bring to your doorstep, and SAFELY produces 600 RWHP SAE....well...that's an accomplishment worthy of recognition by the Gods of HP. I think that everyone interested will be very happy with this tune!!

JD's Autologoic chip proved that custom on-the-fly dyno tunes are second to none. Joe has COUNTLESS hours invested in his research and development of the tune and he has overcome all barriers and produced the perfect KB 03 Cobra setup.

JD's tune costs more money and requires a physical visit to his shop and dyno but the results speak for themselves. Joe's tune idles with stock, 30 PSI of fuel pressure, hits 45 PSI fuel pressure on tip-in and holds 65 PSI of fuel pressure at WOT. The A/F curve is a thing of beauty and stays under 12:1 throughout the load and gets richer up top when it's needed for more safety.

The drivability of BOTH tunes (KB and JD) is awesome. Idle is great, I could smoothly cruise at 1500 RPMs in 6th gear like a stock 03 Cobra. Both chips are a huge success.

The extra HP of the custom tune was evident on the seat-of-the-pants test, as the BFG Drag Radials were smoldered in 2nd gear just as easily as they were in 1st gear. The pull is just incredible. Can I get a little HOOK please??

I was at Joe's shop last night until 2:30 AM and then had a 1 1/2 hour ride home. Man, I AM TIRED!!!! Dyno sheets to follow and then back to bed for a couple of hours.

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
STD numbers. KB tune is in blue, red and green are JD's. The green max HP numbers (difficult to read) are 627.2. That was a heat-soaked dyno pull and the numbers still held strong.

Attachments

·
Registered
250 Posts
Holy expletive!! :jawdrop Hammer...appreciate your persistence in all of this and double ditto to all the engineers, professionals and friends who worked tirelessly in this effort. Much appreciated by the masses....of which I am one....who will benefit from this hard work.

Now....I am sure there will be more questions/comments. :D

·
Registered
138 Posts
THANKS

RICH--THANKS FOR THE POST-

I AM GLAD EVERYTHING WORKED OUT--GET IT TO THE TRACK NOW!!

GOOD LUCK WITH IT!!!!

JOE

HEY RICH--IF THE GRAPH WAS JUST A LITTLE BIGGER IT WOULD FIT THE AIR\FUEL RATIO FOR THE KB CHIP--LOL LOL
SEE I HAVE GRASPED THE IDEA OF THE B- A -P NOW!!!!
AND I INSTALLED THE CHIP THIS TIME WITHOUT RUINING THE COMPUTER--HEHEHE

JUST KIDDING AROUND WITH YA RICH

·
Registered
244 Posts
Awesome numbers Rich. I am glad everything worke dout for you. You have one amazing beast on your hands.
Hats off to everyone who helped you with that project. Good luck buddy.

Matt

·
Registered
223 Posts
HAMMER, now all i need is a parts list!

from where i'm at, only a 17# pulley, 55# injectors, & reprogrammed chip, right?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Joe, did you do this w/ Hammer's factory fuel pumps or your own? Great job by all of you guys!

Coleman, don't forget Boost a Spark, Non-slip pulley and idler.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Finally !!!!!!!! :)

OK but I have a few question Rich ?? Did you street drive both Chips and which Chip stayed in the car when you left JDs ??? :)

Just teasing you don't have to tell !!

Seriously though !

On the KB chip how did you setup the BAP (Max it??) for the fuel pressure ?

How much timing did either of the chips pull at WOT ?

Now all we need is 3 way comparison of a Diablo Chip with there fuel Pressure combo...

Looks like that KB chip "Race Tune" with say 20# boost and 115 Octane could make some serious power also.

Thanks for your Efforts !

Jon L

·
Registered
138 Posts
TUNE

THANKS JON,

I DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH THE KB CHIP PULLS OUT--I ADJUST WHAT IS NEEDED ON THE DYNO FOR THE CUSTOM TUNE WITH THE TIMING.

RICH HAD A DIABLO CHIP IN IT BEFORE WE STARTED THE WHOLE PROJECT--HE CAN GIVE YOU THE NUMBERS FROM IT AND MAKE A COMPARISON WITH ALL 3 TUNES.

THANKS
JOE

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
Way to go KB. They delivered a 600 HP bolt on kit, that nearly any moron (like me) can install. It doesn't get much better than this guys..

·
Registered
863 Posts
Joe,

These : SAE Numbers:
JD Autologic - 626.6 RWHP, 555.7 RWTQ
Kenne Bell - 600.7 RWHP, 533.1 RWTQ

The 626 HP was made with stock fuel pumps and stock MAF ? Right ?

Was the MAF pegging on either Chip ? Or do both chips deal with this issue thru default table programs ?

Thanks Joe !

Jon L

·
Registered
138 Posts
MAF AND PUMPS

THE PUMPS ARE STOCK AND THE METER--

IT DOES NOT PEG THE METER LIKE IT WAS DOING BEFORE.

JUST LITTLE CHANGES I MAKE TO IT.

I AM GOING TO PUT A SET OF PUMPS INTO MY BROTHERS CAR IN 2 WEEKS AND TRY SOME TESTING ON THEM WITH DIFFERENT THINGS.

THANKS
JOE

·
Registered
161 Posts
I've seen two insatalls here in LaLa Land. One with stock TB and one with single blade (Accufab in this case). Which set up were you running?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Hammer,
Great pulls. It looks like Joe set you up nicely with a killer tune. Must be a blast to drive. It must have been killing you to not be able to jump on the car hard for all this time. Glad you got everything worked out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts