Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
We have a crazy customer running 14psi on a centri, I didn't wanted to tune the car with it because I was sure that thing would blow any time, I took a lot of timing out trying to get the numbers down, never got it to lower from 5xxrwhp and couldn't go any lower because it would start to miss up top.

I thougt that he would call in a week telling us that we were right and that thing blew, but no. It has been 4 months now and he is as happy as he can be.

Even so, I wouldn't try that in my own car, I don't know what kind of blower are we talking about and that will depend on how much boost one can be comfortable with, 10psi on whipple with a proper tune you can bang it all day, a little more with a centri. But I would not put my stock motor thru that, working, in one piece it still have some value, blown with holes in the block because of the broken rods, don't.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
we Have A Crazy Customer Running 14psi On A Centri, I Didn't Wanted To Tune The Car With It Because I Was Sure That Thing Would Blow Any Time, I Took A Lot Of Timing Out Trying To Get The Numbers Down, Never Got It To Lower From 5xxrwhp And Couldn't Go Any Lower Because It Would Start To Miss Up Top.

I Thougt That He Would Call In A Week Telling Us That We Were Right And That Thing Blew, But No. It Has Been 4 Months Now And He Is As Happy As He Can Be.

Even So, I Wouldn't Try That In My Own Car, I Don't Know What Kind Of Blower Are We Talking About And That Will Depend On How Much Boost One Can Be Comfortable With, 10psi On Whipple With A Proper Tune You Can Bang It All Day, A Little More With A Centri. But I Would Not Put My Stock Motor Thru That, Working, In One Piece It Still Have Some Value, Blown With Holes In The Block Because Of The Broken Rods, Don't.
The Blower Is A Paxton 2200... It Has To Be Reliable First Of All .. The Car Only Has 5k Miles So I Dont Want To Replace A Motor Just Yet .. Ijust Want To Get The Car In The 10's

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Just remember there is no safe # or anything like that. The higher you go the higher your chances of it exploding. If you plan to run that pulley also plan for the built SB. If you can't afford a new SB in the next months or so dont push what you wont be able to fix.

Andrew

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I'm at 500rwhp on the stock bottom end.
2 1/2 seasons on it with over 1,000 runs and 25,000 miles.
11.139 at full weight.
I have a spare motor sitting at the shop and the car was tuned by JDM which has done many of these.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
14.5 psi here.......

tick tock, tick tock, tick tock

·
Registered
564 Posts
12 psi 500+ rwhp for almost three years

·
Registered
708 Posts
I just went to a 3.2" Reichard pulley with my new BGG 8 rib kit. (see sig for mods) I'm seeing about 12psi now. Only have 200 miles on it though and haven't pushed it real hard yet. I think if I keep enough fuel in it I'll be good. My boost will probably drop a bit in summer anyway.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
500+ to the tires thru the factory automatic. 15 PSI and counting......

Car still runs strong and runs 10.4's all day.

·
Registered
158 Posts
12 lbs. and 500+rwhp, two years and running the crap out of it, good gas, conservative timing, don't go beyond 6500 rpm and maybe, maybe it won't explode to loud, jajajajajejejeje, LOL!!!!

On the other hand, I don't recomend it, try to chill out around 460~480 rwhp...:bigwink:

·
Registered
158 Posts
yeap, no doubt, but is still boils down to horsepower, and that's what eventually will break your rods... and if you let it ping, well, away go the pistons first...

·
Registered
775 Posts
I was on the 14.5lb 2.875 pulley for a bit with the Saleen/JDM E-car tune kit installed at Saleen in Sept. 07. It put down 505rwhp this spring, but I thought it was to boosty and I've gone to the 12lb tune and pulley. I've been very happy with this at 470-475rwhp for the street. I had the larger Saleen heat exchanger put in and it keeps the temps controlled.

If I go to open track roadcourses to learn to drive, I will go back to 8lbs for sustained high rpm activity. Erik

·
Registered
139 Posts
sure simply put i had a shit tuner and he left my rpm limiter sky high without me knowing well went to the track made 4 runs on the fourth the clutch let loose on the very top of 3rd gear ( 100mph or so ) and overspun the hell outta it , it only spun bearings no real carnage but still a 6k mistake made , so needless to say while it was being rebuilt i went for heads ,cams , ect. too oh and yea i got a new tuner lmao

but i will say this it was at 11psi. and 20 degrees timing so even if the rev woulda been set right it still probably would have let loose soon yea cute huh hindsight is 20/20 though and just to think i picked this guy over another because everyone's complaint with him was he was to conservative

·
Registered
680 Posts
Just went back to my 3.6 (9lbs of boost I believe) basically because my car was having issues with the 3.2 (12lbs) and I don't know that I'll go back to the 3.2

I'm not sure if the hassle is worth the extra HP, for ME, plus I felt the engine was pretty darned safe at 3.6, and with the 3.2 I'm always wondering.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I agree. The 3.6 8lb JDM stage I kit was at the line where most conservative tuners said to stay, 415-420rwhp with 16 timing.

I was hoping if Jim SR. was at AAT in Michigan with Brian Chambers at some point I could settle on a custom Dyno tuned 8lb tune, and hopefully get 440 or so with basically stock exhaust, having the dual fuel pumps now, and the larger Saleen heat exchanger, and open track the car knowing it can take the lower heat at the higher sustained rpm's, and still have fun enough rwhp for the street. 12lbs is too much for the stock engine with open track I think. Erik

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.