Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running a 2k GT auto trans with JBA Shorties, Bassani X pipe, Borla cat back, 410's, P.I. 2800 Stall, X2C upper and lower control arms, no front sway bar, Tokico Illumina 5 way adjustable drag struts and rear shocks, Nitto 315 DR's and a Novi 1000/custom Steen Racing power pipe pushing 10# of boost at 6000rpm. I cross the line at 6100rpm so looks like the gear is just about right. My times are not all that good at [email protected] Short time is not yet consistant as the suspension is not "tuned in" yet but ranges between 8.0 and 7.6 My question is in regards to the mph and the torque converter. The tuner set the converter to lock up at 50mph. Was talking with my mechanic and he was wondering if that was limiting my mph? If we put in a switch to block the lock up and let the converter continue to multiply tq through out the run would that help raise my mph? Any input would be great! I just feel that the mph is on the low side, but then again so are my numbers 315/335 at the wheels. Oh yeah; the 1/8 is pretty consistant at [email protected]

·
Registered
227 Posts
jason (electric01 on twr) went 105 with 241 rwhp last nov...i went 111 last nov with just a 125 shot and the usual bolt ons (gears exhaust pullies), and every blower car i ever ran while on the juice always ran me down and passed me (on the street).

·
Registered
47 Posts
Silverpony2000 said:
..Was talking with my mechanic and he was wondering if that was limiting my mph? If we put in a switch to block the lock up and let the converter continue to multiply tq through out the run would that help raise my mph...
Have you considered your stall torque ratio (STR)? T/Cs with a higher STR are very strong on the low end, but don't multiply torque as long as those with a lower STR. It's a trade off of low end for top end, and each has its benefits depending on the use. If yours is high, not locking up might not be worth all the extra heat. PI told me that my STR is 2.5, which is considered relatively high. BTW a high STR makes the converter feel tighter i.e, more like stock.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My stall is a 2800. Not sure if that is high or low. I will forward this to my mechanic and see what he can come up with. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Silverpony2000 said:
My stall is a 2800. Not sure if that is high or low. I will forward this to my mechanic and see what he can come up with. Thanks for the reply.
Precision Industries will know your STR based on your TC part number. It's separate from the stall speed (2800) and indicates the level of torque multiplication at a given rpm. A rating of 2.5 would indicate that the TC can multiply engine torque 2 1/2 times at peak stall.

Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts