Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s been to quiet around here so I thought I would take the opportunity to check in with everyone who has purchased and been using the MS3 Pro PnP ecu. I would like to hear how things are going and where you are with your tuning and what options you’ve employed (e.g. flex fuel, traction control, individual cylinder knock control, etc) and any hurdles along the way? I would also like for you to specify if you’re using speed density or a MAF meter for fueling control? Has anyone made any dyno pulls or 1/4 passes before and after with the ecu swap being the only modification to the vehicle? I realize that isn’t the main purpose but am curious nonetheless. Please also post up your engine and fuel system modifications for your Cobra with any final strip or dyno #s if you have any if you are finished with your tuning or close to it. What ecu bugs did you encounter that required the ecu to be sent back for updates (e.g.. speedometer not reading or a bouncing speedometer reading or anything else)? I purchased mine the night it became available so I have a first run ecu and have done nothing but open the box and look at it. What kind of laptop did you choose for running Tuner Studio and what suggestions do you have for someone (me) currently looking for a laptop which’s only task will be running Tuner Studio and any other software related to the MS3 as well as any and all spreadsheets or programs that Ed Schaider and others have been so generous to share with us like the cam degree’ing and phasing spreadsheet. What other observations have you noticed or suggestions do you have from your experience with tuning and using the MS3?
I look forward to your answers and experiences with the MS3 as well as my own when I begin using it.
Thanks
Ken

·
Registered
124 Posts
Guess I should actually write all my stuff down.....

2004 Cobra, gen 4 whipple 2.9 w/standard inlet, Fore fuel system, twin 450 pumps, ID1050X injectors, BA3000 MAF. I snagged the MAF curve from Steve's workbook. No scaling needed.

Mine was one of the first batches. It had the speedo bounce that everyone knows about. I'm pretty sure I'm the one that brought it to DIY's attention as it was a fight to get it fixed. To be honest I think I had a bad unit as everything that seemed to work on everyone else's car didn't work on mine. In the end they ended up sending me a new ECU and it's been good since. If you don't use cruise control then I don't think the speedo bounce will bother you. You can also watch the speed other ways if you need to. In fact that's what I did when I drove to Vegas last November. I watch the speed on the Perfect Tuning Gauge.

I don't have before and after numbers as I swapped ECU's in the middle of everything. I had it dynoed once and it made 617rwhp/583rwtq on 91 octane at 12 degrees and 18psi. I was still working on the tune so it was very conservative. I haven't checked it since getting the tune better and also running E85.

I currently have flex fuel, knock sensing, and traction control active. I'm only running one knock sensor as adding the wires for the second sensor was a PITA. So far it seems to be working fine with the single sensor.

I'm still playing with traction control and have it set pretty loose. So it'll still spin a decent amount, but I've hit some spots that would normally send the car sideways and it stayed straight with the traction control on. I'm going to start lowering the slip percentage and see how it acts.

I think I went the hard way on flex fuel. I ended up using two tables for trimming the MAF curve. VE1 is for 91 and VE3 is for E85. The ECU blends between them. I went this route so I could have the separate tables for the start up and accel enrichment. When I used the global fuel multiplier the start up was rough on E85. I'm not saying it's perfect now, but it's much better. And I can still fill up wherever I want and drive off without worry.

I use a basic HP Pavillion laptop for tuning. I bought it a few years ago for school and it works fine. I would recommend getting the Bluetooth set up as well. And maybe Shadow Dash if you're a total nerd. I have it on my phone in case I decide to randomly log when I'm driving. I move the file to my computer and use MegaLog Viewer from there.

For advice I'd say make sure your injector dead time is right. I've seen a lot of guys chase their tails because the dead time was wrong. There's a lot of calculations based off that. When you first set up the idle make sure the engine is fully warmed up. It might be worth zeroing the warm up enrichment. Same when you first dial in the VE table. Make sure the car is out of WUE. Once it's dialed in then play with the start up tables and accel enrichment.

I think that's the main points. Please forgive any spelling or grammar mistakes as I typed this on my phone.

·
Registered
476 Posts
For anyone that has traction control working can you either post a screen shot of the settings and the spark retard or attach your tune so I can review it in Tuner Studio? I use MSPro (non pnp version) and Matt reviewed my log files and said that the TC is kicking in but may not be aggressive enough. I would like to see what other people are using for values to get me into the ballpark b/c right now it's not doing squat.
Here's a screen shot of mine but most of these are the default values:

ks

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I haven't really put it to the test yet or played with special features, but it's intuitive and works well. The car made 964rwhp at 14.2* timing on an aborted run due to a bad idler pulley and losing the belt, engine is 10.5:1 teksid, stock heads with valve job, custom cams, ported Gen 5 3.0 whipple with 4# lower and 3” upper (32#'s), running on pump e85 through a TH400 and 9”. It should pick up a decent amount more as I add some timing to it.

Fuel system is twin hellcat/525 pumps, 10 feed, 8 return with 1650 injectors. I'm running speed density, driveability is awesome, and the power is plenty. I'm using a single zietronix wideband through the canbus.

For Tuner Studio and Megalog viewer, they are both easy to use and I haven't really had any hurdles since the initial setup where I missed a couple settings (the overboost one was kind of hidden and I completely missed it as an armature) . I'm using a Fusion 5 laptop that I've had for years. The software doesn't require some hardcore computer, that's for sure.

As a side note, last year I went 9.2 on the stock engine with the 3.4 whipple and used auto tune quite generously. The auto tune function was incredible at saving my engine and making it run smoothly, but it also works quite well at dialing itself in as you close the limits/lower the thresholds. Set the correction wide to begin, and narrow it down. The new engine/blower is making a couple hundred more horsepower, so I'm excited to see how it does.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you guys, this is exactly the info I’m looking for! Great to see things going good for you guys since it helps give me the confidence to tackle this once my motor is finished. Hopefully we can get a few more people to post up as well like @GodStang and @eschaider The more information the better!

·
Registered
124 Posts
I started with speed density, but ran into issues when I would drive far. IE when I drove from San Diego to Vegas the altitude and temperature differences caused the idle to surge and some start up issues. They can be fixed but when I'm out of town like that I don't want to be dealing with the computer. If I only drove it around socal I probably would have stuck with speed density.

FWIW, I used autotune when I first got the car running. It was weird to feel the car running better as I drove it. Once it was driveable I started taking logs and using VE Analyzer in Megalog Viewer. I'd take anywhere from a 30 minute up to 2 hour log and then run it through the analyzer.

@KEVINS I tried to attach my tune, but the forum doesn't like the format. If you want I can email it to you. You might need to get more aggressive with the timing retard in the begining.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I started with speed density, but ran into issues when I would drive far. IE when I drove from San Diego to Vegas the altitude and temperature differences caused the idle to surge and some start up issues. They can be fixed but when I'm out of town like that I don't want to be dealing with the computer. If I only drove it around socal I probably would have stuck with speed density.

FWIW, I used autotune when I first got the car running. It was weird to feel the car running better as I drove it. Once it was driveable I started taking logs and using VE Analyzer in Megalog Viewer. I'd take anywhere from a 30 minute up to 2 hour log and then run it through the analyzer.

@KEVINS I tried to attach my tune, but the forum doesn't like the format. If you want I can email it to you. You might need to get more aggressive with the timing retard in the begining.
I think you may be able to attach it as a zip file if not email will work:
[email protected]

If your TC is working good that will give me an idea how aggressive I can start with and how much I can ultimately pull. How much is too much b4 parts get hurt, that is the ultimate question.

THANK YOU!
KS

·
Super Moderator
3,535 Posts
Great thread. Although I don't have an MS3 Pro PnP, i'm going to be picking up a MS Gen. 2 PnP for my Fox, so the info in this thread is very informative.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My builds not done yet but in the final stages. Hope to have some #s within the month. 3.4 Whipple Crusher, Fore Fuel system w/ twin 450s, ID1300x, and 5000 sct Maf. Also have the Pro-M flex sensor for flex fuel. Curious to see peoples experience running flex fuel. Also if anyone has used the nitrous options in the ECU.

·
Registered
124 Posts
My builds not done yet but in the final stages. Hope to have some #s within the month. 3.4 Whipple Crusher, Fore Fuel system w/ twin 450s, ID1300x, and 5000 sct Maf. Also have the Pro-M flex sensor for flex fuel. Curious to see peoples experience running flex fuel. Also if anyone has used the nitrous options in the ECU.
What size tube are you running the MAF in? I'll be curious to see how much range it uses.

The flex fuel is awesome. Its already benefited me a couple times.

·
Registered
59 Posts
What size tube are you running the MAF in? I'll be curious to see how much range it uses.

The flex fuel is awesome. Its already benefited me a couple times.
The maf is a slot style in the Crusher intake tube. Car fired for the first time on MS3 a couple days ago. Cant wait to play with all the toys in the Megasquirt software.

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
I keep saying I was going to do a complete writeup with screenshots and all my info but been so busy. I love the MS3 and it has been a fun ride with many many thanks to @01yellerCobra for all his help. No Dynos here so no before and after numbers.
Mods I have added:
Bosch 210s for $500 and the idle and run amazing and can run E85 for days.
Ran SD for awhile and then swapped over to a custom 5" CAI I made with a GT500 slot style MAF and used the numbers from SVTP and the idle is WAY better now.
Flexfuel Sensor and fuel temperature sensor
Dual 14point7 Adv 3 widebands hooked through Canbus to auto tune each side of the engine
Also hooked up to android device to use Shadow Dash Custom Dashboards.

Cant remember what else.

·
Administrator
9,454 Posts
I am glad to hear about your successes, Josh. You are certainly one of the pioneers who is first to the line with testing and evaluating new stuff. Thanks for being there for everyone and thanks for your participation.

Ed

·
Registered
94 Posts
I keep saying I was going to do a complete writeup with screenshots and all my info but been so busy. I love the MS3 and it has been a fun ride with many many thanks to @01yellerCobra for all his help. No Dynos here so no before and after numbers.
Mods I have added:
Bosch 210s for $500 and the idle and run amazing and can run E85 for days.
Ran SD for awhile and then swapped over to a custom 5" CAI I made with a GT500 slot style MAF and used the numbers from SVTP and the idle is WAY better now.
Flexfuel Sensor and fuel temperature sensor
Dual 14point7 Adv 3 widebands hooked through Canbus to auto tune each side of the engine
Also hooked up to android device to use Shadow Dash Custom Dashboards.

Cant remember what else.
Have you ran the 210's on pump gas yet? I just ordered some yesterday for my setup and curious about tuneablility on 93. I run E85 98% of the time but wanted the versatility if I wasn't able to get E for some reason.

·
Administrator
9,454 Posts
Have you ran the 210's on pump gas yet? I just ordered some yesterday for my setup and curious about tuneablility on 93. I run E85 98% of the time but wanted the versatility if I wasn't able to get E for some reason.
Tommy,

AJ (Mofasta) runs dual 2200 cc injectors per port because he is a methanol car but, at the end of the day all the methanol is drained from the system and plain old 89 octane lawn mower gas is put in the tank and flushed through the system to protect it from the methanol. Once it is flushed it is driven around in the pits and then driven into the trailer. The car idles somewhere at or just below 1000/1100 rpm with both injectors running! You should have no problem whatsoever idling the engine with single 210's.

Ed

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
so far I have only run E but I know others that have run 93 in a stock lightning. What hats did you get for the 210s? My first set leaked like a mofo so I switched to FIC hats and they are amazing.

·
Registered
94 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Injectors and spacers were delivered yesterday. Everything fit together great and the spacers look to be good quality. They do allow for some misalignment however I'm not sure it is enough to cause any issues with the oring sealing. As soon as my Denso to ev6 adapters get in I'll throw them in

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
They look good. Let me know how the Denso to ev6 adapters work out. I went with the stock plug injectors which I thought would be easier but with the plug moved down almost an inch from stock location the stock plugs were not long enough with out loosing the harness. I got them hooked up and looks stock but they may of been easier if I got the Ev1 and used plug adapters for that extra reach. I was just unsure if it would fit under the 3.6L inlet.

Injectors and spacers were delivered yesterday. Everything fit together great and the spacers look to be good quality. They do allow for some misalignment however I'm not sure it is enough to cause any issues with the oring sealing. As soon as my Denso to ev6 adapters get in I'll throw them in
View attachment 175693 View attachment 175694 View attachment 175695

1 - 20 of 21 Posts