Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

· Registered
118 Posts
Adapters all worked great. I ohmed them out before installing and they all tested fine. Injector spacers installed fine but I did have to slightly slot the mounting holes in my rails. Not sure if it was the injector or spacer but the rail was sitting about 3/16" to high to bolt up. I had trouble dialing in the idle until I realized I had inverted the small pulse width table. Got that straightened out and everything started falling into place

· Registered
61 Posts
No final numbers yet but my 3.4 crusher car made 701/629 on conservative timing and 93. Apparently getting some interference in the TPS wire. Tuner is putting in a shielded wire and then on to E85 and some more timing. 750 seems like a good # for 19lbs of boost.

· Administrator
9,833 Posts
The E85 will help primarily in the detonation resistance camp but also you will pick up a fair amount of additional charge cooling attributable to the ethanol. All in all, I would not be surprised to see you land, fairly easily, in the 750HP space, power wise.

Remember the additional octane available in the Ethanol will allow more timing. Don't get too enthusiastic though, because you can still detonate ethanol. If you stay at 25˚ and below you should be OK. As you sneak up on max timing don't forget to keep an eye on torque. When you start to see diminishing returns for additional timing you are at a good place to stop.

Nice job, Kyle.

Ed

· Registered
61 Posts
After 2 years its nice to be in the car again for sure. Its like stepping on a bomb with the instant torque. I appear to have some teething issues for sure though. A small amount of speedo bounce that others have seen as well as some difficulty connecting to the bluetooth dongle. Both are easy fixes at least. Some more boost will be in its future soon enough. The MS3 is so full of features it will no doubt take a while to get acclimated to them all.

· Registered
10 Posts
Hi Use to be on here as doubleblack since I owned the car new and would chat w/ all the old school guys like Eschlader (Ed) and Broke7 (now Nojokex Allen on IG). On order too, excited to be in the club!! Plan is to run it first w the current old school original setup 2.3 whip, 60’s and stock pumps, BAP so I can just drop in and start playing and learning. Then drop in the new fuel system and retoon and play around then 3.0 whipple and tune w MS3pro ultimately. I really hope I like the speed density cuz I’m most excited about it use to tune my old turbo civic that way as a youth lol . Follow me on IG as doubleblack2.0 and I’ll get a YouTube going to if my smart kids help me lol, I’m 50 next year and already consider my self behind in tech my kids talk a different language and will also teach them some wrenching skills so they are well rounded. My build is dedicated to my wife who’s in the hospital w CV and got it real bad been in the hospital ICU since begining of December and finally got out to the next level down care on 1/1/22 to start the new year yeah. Anyhow check out my IG as I am dedicating my cobra build to her naming it #ProjectLife2.0 and in doing so making memories w my 2 boys 18 & 15 and finally giving back to the terminator community since I learned so much in this very place from stand up guys I mentioned above. The plan is to show you my experience w MS3pro thru the build. Oh and plz drop a prayer for my wife to get 1000% recovered

God Bless!
Ed

· Administrator
9,833 Posts
Welcome back, Ed. Truly sorry to hear about the wife but at the same time good to also hear she is out of IC and sounds like she has turned the corner and begun the journey back to normalcy. In addition to instagram don't forget to share some of your build and track story on MF.

· Registered
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Welcome back!
Prayers for your wife for sure!
I’m with Eschaider as well. I don’t have an IG or FB account so if you could also share your build and MS3 journey on here too it would be greatly appreciated. I plan to do the same as soon as I can find the time to get back to doing more for my Cobra than just buy parts and stack them up along a wall. Although I do get a smile every time I walk into that room and see the 3.0 Whipple sitting there like a trophy on a desk with the MS3 Pro box right beside it :)

Thanks
Ken

· Registered
10 Posts
Hi Guys, sorry about that, I basically dropped my post above almost a year ago and never really got back. I just saw your responses today as a matter of fact 😀 Thank you for the kind words about my wife and she is basically fully recovered back to work and now thankfully have been able to focus on the cobra! So I finally got around to wiring the MS3P up along w/ Innovation twin analog widebands and the Perfect Tuning gauge. MalcolmV8’s YouTube channel is great for cobra specific info when installing this ECU. One word of advice is that it’s more ideal to buy wide bands that are Canbus compatible, mine aren’t, it’s an easier set up w Tuner studio and wiring to Canbus is a no brainer. I am currently trying to figure out how to get my second wideband to register on MS3P. Im sure it’s easy, just need to research a bit. But I believe in the end Canbus also communicates to the ECU faster. So for now I’m tuning w just the drivers side bank and will fix it soon. As I mentioned above I stuck w my game plan of running my old school returnless fuel set-up to get my feet wet w MS3P. I am currently speed density and I’m really liking it so far. I know a few go back to MAF due to drivability issues but I’m hoping I can stick w MAP. The canned tune didn’t work the greatest out of the box (hesitations, rough idle, etc) but after just one Autotune session (literally a 20min of driving) the car woke up and ran really nicely. I’m hesitant to really push the car because I killed the stock pumps (at 95k mi) and have a band aid set up I bought from Jegs that was a stock replacement pump assembly drop in. They seem to be Ok for now w the BAP but I’m not trusting them 100%. Although, My logs show these pumps are keeping up w/ my 60’s and 2.3 whipple 17psi of boost. I mean it’s pretty amazing that basically my car is running great because of artificial intelligence tuning lol. The only thing that wasn’t that straight forward was tuning for the idle. Autotune got it idling just a notch under 1k which I didn’t mind but I have to give a big thanks to 01yellercobra for helping me get the idle better and overall getting me started. You can do it all on your own if you had to but if you have a resource that has gone through it already the better. I’m fortunate he’s San Diego local to me so he actually punched in some safety tweaks to the spark and AFR tables especially being on crap 91. So for now I’m pretty pleased about this computer and will now take a pause to install my new return fuel system and await the gen 5 to get here. Once it’s all installed I’ll focus on getting the new fuel and blower running properly , then move to the flex fuel capabilities since I’ll be driving mostly on the streets still. My fuel will be 1440’s fic, twin 485’s and not quite sure on the boost yet. If I shoot for around 25lbs+ on E85, guess I’d still have to take it easy and be mindful in the event 91 is in the tank since 20+ is too high for 91. So 91 will be for emergencies purposes only and will most likely have a bit of a corn blend at all times. All- in-all pretty good experience so far. I’m glad Ed introduced it here a couple years ago and MF is where I first heard of MS3P. It’s nice to have capabilities to make changes on the fly, functional stock gauge cluster, MAP or MAF capable, adding all kinds of sensors etc etc
Computer Input device Gadget Peripheral Output device

Car Steering part Vehicle Motor vehicle Speedometer

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting Tire

· Administrator
9,833 Posts
Good to see you back, Ed.

Here are two items that I think you might find helpful. The first is a CAN Buss Wideband that is flat out the fastest wideband commercially available. The firm is 14Point7 <= clickable, and the product is what they call their Spartan 3 wideband and controller. They have an excellent MS3Pro setup. The magic is all in their controller.

The second item is an excellent YouTube video by Turbine Research, which you may have seen on idle tuning. Here is a link to it, Turbine Research Megasquirt Idle Tuning. They use a very straightforward approach, which you may have already used but just in case ...

· Registered
596 Posts
A little Off Topic since this thread is in the 03-04 Cobra forum but I just saw that DIY now has a PnP version for the 1999-2004 GT's:

ks

· Registered
10 Posts
Good to see you back, Ed.

Here are two items that I think you might find helpful. The first is a CAN Buss Wideband that is flat out the fastest wideband commercially available. The firm is 14Point7 <= clickable, and the product is what they call their Spartan 3 wideband and controller. They have an excellent MS3Pro setup. The magic is all in their controller.

The second item is an excellent YouTube video by Turbine Research, which you may have seen on idle tuning. Here is a link to it, Turbine Research Megasquirt Idle Tuning. They use a very straightforward approach, which you may have already used but just in case ...
Thanks Ed I’ll def have a look at the vid…can never have enough intel for idle tuning…from what I’m hearing some folks are having issues w the 150mm roval TB, some say it’s a mechanical issue, some say it’s a tuning issue. Some have swapped to the 132mm and problem solved…I’m hoping I can get the 150mm going w out issue… ya have looked at the spartan system and may upgrade to it eventually. I do enjoy having the Innovative dual readout gauge in addition to the Perfect Tuning gauge for everything else. I do think spartan does offer something similar if I wanted to keep the same set up.

· Registered
10 Posts
A little Off Topic since this thread is in the 03-04 Cobra forum but I just saw that DIY now has a PnP version for the 1999-2004 GT's:

ks
If I’m not mistaken I think the 2v version was released first. The DIYauto how to vids are centered around the 2v…for those that need more specific 03 04 cobra MS3p install / info vids go to MalcolmV8’s YouTube channel. I’ve communicated w/ him on IG and has said he’s working on more terminator /MS3P content soon.

· Registered
596 Posts
I thought I just read that it was released a few weeks ago...but I could have read something that was posted a few years old... or I was drunk...take your pick..

ks

· Administrator
9,833 Posts
I believe I got either the first or second Terminator version of the MS3Pro PnP. If I was first, then Josh (Godstang) was second, or vice versa. DIY had the Mach I version completed and available at the time but not the Terminator or 2V version yet. After the Mach I version, the next one up was the Terminator version which means the 2V must have been the third release. I am not certain I could describe the difference between a two-valve unit and a four-valve n/a unit. It seems they should be the same — although, I almost forgot, Ford screws around with the pinouts on the ECU connector, which I would not be surprised to discover is the difference.

· Registered
10 Posts
Hey Guys, when you first get your MS3 installed you may be like me and find yourself trying to to obtain that good start-up / idling you once had when you still had your stock computer. I wanted to share a couple really helpful vids I found...The stock base tune they provide you w/ works just ok to get you going, but you're gonna want to get these dialed in for peace of mind. IMO i think idling is a bit easier to dial in because the cold start you basically have to wait until the car is dead cold so the ECU reads the initial temps. I'm hoping my cold start settings for this time of year carry over until it gets a little warmer. I admit I wasn't expecting to need to know this much about these topics, but you're kind of forced to research / learn if you're trying to self tune. Although MS3 is plug n play, it still is technically a stand-a-lone. IMO these are good vids because they actually relate more to the V8 guys. A lot of content out there is for miata's and bimmer guys which is OK but thought this channel is a bit more relatable to us.

Cold Start Tuning:

Idle Tuning:

· Administrator
9,833 Posts
Excellent Find, Ed!

Pay Back Garage does an excellent job of covering the methodology and presents it clearly and concisely. I visited several of his videos, and they are all consistently very good in both his messaging and the tech he is speaking about.

· Registered
596 Posts
I'd like to see a video on how to fine tune the settings so the car doesn't die when putting it in gear (automatic trans). I've had some help which works pretty good but when the car is is really cold or even when warmed up and put into gear it will still occasionally die. I've played with timing which has solved 80% of it but it will die.

ks

· Registered
10 Posts
Excellent Find, Ed!

Pay Back Garage does an excellent job of covering the methodology and presents it clearly and concisely. I visited several of his videos, and they are all consistently very good in both his messaging and the tech he is speaking about.
Great Ed, we need to keep it up and keep posting resources here as a place to start our initial hunt for info. I agree Brooks does a great job w/ his vids and quite a knowledgeable garage tuner. So far his first vid is still working and I have a pretty good cold start at the moment that "explodes" at start up like it use to.

· Registered
10 Posts
I'd like to see a video on how to fine tune the settings so the car doesn't die when putting it in gear (automatic trans). I've had some help which works pretty good but when the car is is really cold or even when warmed up and put into gear it will still occasionally die. I've played with timing which has solved 80% of it but it will die.

ks
Kevin I don't claim to know anything about tuning especially auto trans tuning, but take a look at his first vid in I posted above in regards to cold starts, he goes into WUE (warm up enrichment) it basically keeps the car idling high while cold until it gets up to operating temp then close loop idle takes over. You also may want to hit up MalcolmV8 as he's been building an auto gen 5 using MS3 and is quite knowledgeable about tuning.

· Registered
596 Posts
Kevin I don't claim to know anything about tuning especially auto trans tuning, but take a look at his first vid in I posted above in regards to cold starts, he goes into WUE (warm up enrichment) it basically keeps the car idling high while cold until it gets up to operating temp then close loop idle takes over. You also may want to hit up MalcolmV8 as he's been building an auto gen 5 using MS3 and is quite knowledgeable about tuning.
Yea, I watched the video but there's a huge different in the tune with an auto once the car is put into gear b/c the load goes up significantly which also has to take into consideration air temp and engine temp. I have no issues with "Startup" except when temps get to about 15*F because it takes a lot more fuel (E85), it's when the car is put into gear.

I had to have someone modify the tune b/c it would always die when putting into gear after it was warmed up then turned off (like when at the gas station) and I have since then modified the timing to fine tune this moment so it's better now, but still needs work.

It would be helpful to compare a working tune that was set up for an auto to see what timing, fueling, temperature numbers are used as soon as the car is put into gear on cold/hot days..

ks

21 - 40 of 53 Posts