Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be getting some MT ET Streets. Should I get the 28x11.5x16 or 27x10.5x16. Any advantages or disadvantages with either?

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Taller tires will have a dramatic impact on your gear multiplication. Since our stock tires are about 25.6" tall, going with a 28" tall tire will change your gear ratio from 3.55 to maybe 3.40.

IMO, that is a good thing since I know first-hand that numerically higher gears hurt me at the track (I put 4.10's on my first 03 Cobra and, with stock tires, it killed about 4 tenths of ET).

I firmly believe that numerically lower gear multiplication will make for faster ETs, since we will be under load in productive powerband for longer periods of time.

I don't know if 28" tall tires will fit in our cars but if they do, I would LOVE to try them. I think that they will work very well...especially with high HP.

27" tall tires will also do the same thing...although not as drastically.

Keep in mind that your speedo will be off!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Oops I said the wrong thing.With LS1 Edit you can adjust for gear ratio and tire size. I was asking about both...

·
Registered
209 Posts
I ran a set of my buddies 28x11.5x16 ET Streets and they killed my times. Also consider this. I am running 3.90 gears. Mark just replaced them with 26 inch tall tires and his ET's dropped. Run 26's. You will need at least a 4.30 gear to pull a 28 inch tall tire.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I talked to MT today. I am going to wait for the 17 inch tire to come out. It will be a 26. They said it will be about a month before it comes out.

·
Registered
285 Posts
i have bought the 27x10.50x16s but havent tried them at the track, I didnt want 26s due to the 27s might help mph thru the traps and I personally think 26s look to small in our wheelwells

1 - 10 of 10 Posts