Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am considering the idea of swapping my trucks ecu with one from a mustang gt of the same year. I have an 03 f150 with the Windsor 4.6 and 4.10 gears and I plan on installing some performance camshafts.

Reason for this question is because with my current tuner or what I think is ecu related I can't shift any higher than 5200 rpm with everything the way it is now and once I do install some performance camshafts I don't want the rev limiter to rob me of power. Or should I consider something like a mega squirt to do the job?

·
Administrator
9,680 Posts
Do yourself a favor and get an MS3Pro-PnP. Your problem is that the OEM ECU is running out of processor power, has no programming information publicly available from Ford, and lacks the engine controls and programmability of an aftermarket ECU. The MS3Pro-PnP for the 03/04 Mustang GT might plug right in, or if it will not, the guys at DIYAutotune will tell you so. If it does not, it might be possible to repin the wiring harness or use a different ECU they offer for just engine management that provides the same access to engine tuning parameters and way better performance and programmability than the OEM unit.

The upside to the MS3Pro alternative is that all the OEM ECU limitations are gone, but the downside is emissions testing and potentially dash support. The PnP versions are configured at manufacture by DIYAutoTune to support the factory instrument cluster in 03/04 Mustangs. That may or may not work for your application; DiyAutoTune can tell you if it does or does not. If it does not, you can buy a non-PnP version and piggyback it on top of the OEM ECU for just engine management and allow the OEM ECU to handle everything else.

If you live in a state that has rigorous emissions testing, you will only be able to pass if you use an OEM ECU — in which case you might be able to do a piggyback install that leaves the OEM CPU in place for everything other than engine management. The alternative is to continue to use the OEM CPU and get used to the rpm limitations of the ECU or buy a different car.

p.s. With the OEM ECU disconnected from the engine, there is a high probability that the emissions testing and qualification software at the test station will turn this up and fail the car.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts