Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
MM&FF held a modular shootout at Englishtown in October and I was invited to participate. It was a great time and got to see some fast cars. It came out in the March issue. I am on page 60 and a small picture on the cover. I am so excited must have read it like 20 times make sure I didn't miss anything lol. Well thought I would share!

Whoops wrong forum meant to put in lounge. Hmm lets add some tech.

I finally took my motor apart to see what went wrong. To make a long story short I had a valve spring break dropping a valve into the motor. The piston hit the valve a couple hundred times and made a hole in the middle of the piston, made a hairline crack in the block, demolished by head and broke the valve. It was a great day a fully forged motor toasted at 600miles because of a valve spring. The good thing about this is I am just gonna have to make it better and go all out. Some new items that will be added
-Cobra alum block
-larger valves intake&exhaust
-fully port heads vs street/strip port now
-port intake
-sump tank so I can resolve fuel starving
-valve springs(unknown what kind yet)

Alain

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I saw your car.Nice!!!!!!!!!Congrats on the write up.Valve spring..Hmmmmmmm..That seems to be happening quite a bit to 2 valves here lately.May I ask which cams you are running?I have made some great power out of the HP cams.May want to give them a try.The cranes and the Modmax cars are breaking valves springs left and right.I have not heard of any problems with the HP cams.They dont require lash caps or shims.
Sorry about you car.Being down sux,I know that all to well.

Tim

·
Registered
332 Posts
congrats on making the mag! i bet that is a very good feeling.

just wondering what brand of valve spring broke? do you know why it broke?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks I still can't believe it lol. I am running FOMPK motorsports blower regrinds with 550lift and fompk motorsports valvesprings. I may try some billets if I can afford them if not I am gonna go with Steve's cams from HP. I can't afford to have another motor go specially over something I had no control over. We really don't know why the spring failed I actually don't think anyone that has broken one has been able to come up with a conclusion but all I know is unless I can find something I feel confident in I am going back to stock springs and different cams and just keeping it under 6200 which I do now. Just sucks cause car hasn't been pushed to max yet and would really like to see what it can do.

Alain

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Alain,
We have spun mine to 8K at the track.No problems.A few other guys that have had spring failure have gone to Steve's cam and no problems .Carlos has I think close to 10k miles on his.He broke a valve spring @ 600miles with cranes(Kieths) cams.

I have Keiths springs and haven't had a problem with them and the HP cams.
I have not heard of any failures running Steves cams.They make great power as well.

Tim

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
98SILVERSTANG said:
Thanks I still can't believe it lol. I am running FOMPK motorsports blower regrinds with 550lift and fompk motorsports valvesprings. I may try some billets if I can afford them if not I am gonna go with Steve's cams from HP. I can't afford to have another motor go specially over something I had no control over. We really don't know why the spring failed I actually don't think anyone that has broken one has been able to come up with a conclusion but all I know is unless I can find something I feel confident in I am going back to stock springs and different cams and just keeping it under 6200 which I do now. Just sucks cause car hasn't been pushed to max yet and would really like to see what it can do.

Alain
Alain,

Comp cam billets are not much more than regrinds.
Mine cost 608.00 shipped(not yet but due the first of feb.)
These are custom billets ,you can get them ground to your specs for your motor.
They also offer a spring set .They are good to a .640 lift and are a beehive design to help stop harmonics that cause springs to break.

if you need more info contact dennis miles at comp cams:1-800-365-9145 at ext 534.or [email protected] .Tell him white99gt sent you,he knows me very well.

He has been a great help on designing mine and very helpful.Also he will reply back usually in a hour or so after you email him(9~5).

Also congrats on the mag shot.
I hope to make those power numbers here very soon .

·
The BarTender
1,651 Posts
Sweet write up in the mag dude!;) Good luck on your rebuild as well.

Razor.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Great Job making the rag Alain, you deserve it from all the hard work!! Now get that thing back together and go kick some A$$!

Chad:smoker

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Alain. Congrats on the writeup and sorry about your motor.
Get that puppy back together and lets do some 9sec passes.
You Da Man.I saw you run 15's then 14's then NOS 13's..ETC,
I have the utmost respect for you and any car you put together.
Best of luck in 03..
Need any help just call your Uncle Jim:D

jim v.

·
Registered
53 Posts
i would like to get involved with the next 2v Shootout if possible. myself and a friend of mine would be worthy N/A candidates IMO.

how does one go about 'getting invited' to this? is it simply a matter of getting noticed at the track, or what?

thanks,
-Mike

·
Registered
37 Posts
AutomaticWeapon said:
i would like to get involved with the next 2v Shootout if possible. myself and a friend of mine would be worthy N/A candidates IMO.

how does one go about 'getting invited' to this? is it simply a matter of getting noticed at the track, or what?

thanks,
-Mike
That was the same question that I have. I would like to do it at the end of this year or beginning of '04

1 - 11 of 11 Posts