Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, I was in the grocery store for about 20 minutes today. (parked far away from others as possible). And I come out and see a cart next to my car (front), naturally I go over to lok and see if it got dented... well no dent.....

There is now a HUGE scratch across the whole passenger side fender (top, 3-4 feet long!), a small chip on the door, where it opens, and a smaller scratch (3 inches) on the rear fender!!! I'm not sure if this was an accident or on purpose. there were a couple of ricer kids nearby when I went in, but I hate to think the worst of people. So i called the cops, and he said it didn't look like it was on purpose, but there's no real way of knowing. either way, it doesn't matter and this is going to cost me a fortune! I have a $1000 deductable on my policy, so it's going to cost me at least that.

From what little I know of body work, they have to at least paint the whole front fender, a lot of the rear fender and at least half the door. (in order for good smooth transision and blending. If not the whole passenger side! That'll cost near that $1k right? Should I even both with the insurence?

Grrr! :banghead

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Sorry to hear it, man. I know how it feels when something so perfect that you love gets tarnished like that.

I wouldn't sweat it. It doesn't sound so bad. A good body shop can fix that without re-painting the whole side of the door. It's a brand new car with no paint fade and factory paint. It should be real easy to make undetectable and should cost you a LOT LESS than $1,000.

I am sure it was an accident. At grocery stores, shopping carts run around the parking lot all the time. That's probably what happened.

I agree with Phreak too. If you got a police report, take it to the store manager and see what their policy is on such things.

Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
19,260 Posts
I gotta disagree somewhat HAMMER

A good shop is going to paint the entire side. Remember, I have worked in a top notch body shop most all my life. ;)

I'd say the entire side will need painting. Granted they will not put color down the entire side of the car. But the entire side will need to be cleared.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Eric, thats what I thought.. an old friend of mine did a lot of bosy shop work (moved away). he was a real pro and had painted things for me before. Even smaller scratches required the area around to be painted, at least with clear for good blending. Which then will probably cost me a thousand.

I thought about going into the grocery store and asking for the manager.. but it's not really their fault or problem.. $hit happens, and there's no reason it should come out of their pocket.. shouldn't come out of mine either... but that's life. .. But I'm broke, so maybe I'll go see the manager tommorrow, how do I get an actual copy of the police report? How long will it take? anyone know if they can just fax it to me?

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Eric Brooks said:
I gotta disagree somewhat HAMMER
What do you know about it, sandpaper boy??

:lol :hammer

J/K...sorry, I stand corrected. I know it's your family business.

But seriously, don't you have some cars to sand?

DOH!!!!!!!

:shocked

·
Registered
374 Posts
If it makes you feel any better, you aren't the only one that was victemized this week. Some asswipe dented and scratched my drivers side quarter panel. The dent is the size of a quarter and the has a nasty scratch goes went thought the clear and base coat to metal.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
Tech for the day: Park on the high end of the lot. Carts roll downhill!

Maybe you could get some custom paintwork done. Some ghost stuff, a pearl clear or something like that.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I got an estimate from my bosy shop today. $714. Not too bad. After that I got a copy of the police report and went to the grovery store. I spoke with the manager, who was very nice and he wrote up an incident report. Although he was honest and said the chances of me getting anything are very low. We also viewed the security tapes, which was cool, but whatever happened, happened while the camera was view a different angle. (rotating). He said they should call me within a day or too, we'll see then.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts