Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok well this is bothering me and i cannot figure it out. I have a forged motor built by Keith Craft racing. The specs were J/E 17cc dish pistons Manley H beam rods etc etc. There was a GP on these motors so a bunch of us have them. One guy on another message board posted pics of the engine he got which was before i recieved mine. His also has 17cc J/E pistons BUT his pistons look WAY different then mine do. His dish is alot deeper. The dish on his is deeper and flat kinda like the stock 99 2v pistons. Mine on the other hand start from the outside and angle in toward the middle on a small incline. All of my paper work from KC shows that it is indeed a 17cc piston. The part #s match J/Es site. Also J/Es site shows that they have the 17cc piston and the 0cc piston. The 0cc piston being 11.5:1 compression. Now if that were the case and i had those pistons my car would have went kaboom 2k miles ago right? The car runs fine and all. Im just wondering why the pistons look different when they are supposed to be the same. Here is a pic of his piston.

And here is a pic of mine.

Sorry for the crappy pic of mine. I have higher quality close pics. But i just reformatted my computer and cannot upload to my site until i get everything back on the comp. If i can email them for someone to host temporarily that would be great.

Am i worrying over nothing?

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
244 Posts
The 1st pic does look very close to a stock 99 gt piston at 17cc. On your pic hell I can't tell from that pic, doesn't look like 17cc to me, its defenitly not flat tops.

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hopefully they didn't give you 10 or 11cc pistons.

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well according to J/Es site. The style piston i have comes in either 17cc or 0cc. The other guy thinks he got stock pistons that were coated? :confused: :confused: Does anyone else here have pics of their JE 17cc Pistons?

Dave

·
Registered
176 Posts
Juiced46 said:
Well according to J/Es site. The style piston i have comes in either 17cc or 0cc. The other guy thinks he got stock pistons that were coated? :confused: :confused: Does anyone else here have pics of their JE 17cc Pistons?

Dave
Uh, oh not what I wanted to hear as they were in consideration for my shortblock. Please keep us posted as to how this turns out.

·
Registered
227 Posts
when i got my shortblock from DSS i got 17cc dished pistons. when we got the motor apart the stock pistons looked the same as the pistons in the new shortblock, as far as the dish was concerned.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm certain your pistons are 17cc JEs.
I have the newer ones and they look exactly like that. I have some pics of them out of the motor. If you need to see 'em I can probrably email 'em or something.

David

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you can email them that would be great. I actually just received an email from the people that built the motor. They said they are indeed 17cc pistons. that JE changed forgings and redesigned them. But im still curious. Because i have yet to see pics other than mine of this style piston. Thanks

Dave
[email protected]

·
Registered
14 Posts
Im kinda going through the same thing with a different motor though.. I have JE Pistons as well only mine are a true flat top.. I wanted the same compression as a stock cobra when i ordered but doing research today i found that i have comperssion that is 11.1.. I called J&E and they only make 2 style of pistons for us dished or flat and they said that a 0 deck clearence with a 46cc head=11.5 compression, when i checked out my block (got it a long time ago) when i turned the motor by hand the piston looks to be eaven with the deck.. My heads i found are 51cc after calling FRPP, so they said that puts me at 11.1... Its a good thing i sold my blower when i did...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Svostyle-

FRPP said that w/ flat tops your CR is gonna be 11.1:1? ModularPerformance's website says only 10.3:1....i wish there were a definitive answer on this.

I'm thinking about building a shortblock w/ flat tops but if the compression's gonna be that high i think i might pass on it

SJ

BTW, what kinda power are you making?

·
Registered
14 Posts
The car made 400rwhp with the blower on.. That was with a safe tune and not being able to rev the car past 6,000 rpm's(car had probs at the time)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Guys lemme give you some help here, you might need it you might not. SVO heads have the same cc chamber as 96-98 heads. 52.5 +/- 1 cc, Dennis a SVO head with a JE flattop is roughly 10:1. Here is where it gets a little tricky, When I put the same rotating assembly into a Windsor Block, I went from a .020 under deck to 0 deck. That in turn bumped my compression up 1 point. I dont know if it was a Windsor block thing or just block difference but thats what occurred on my buildup

·
Registered
83 Posts
so the windsor blocks are a 0 deck block and the romeo blocks are a .020 under deck? Wonder why that is? but it apparently makes a HUGE difference in compression!!

That just means i'll have to find a used romeo block when i get to that point.

SJ

·
Registered
138 Posts
I changed heads from 96-98 and went to 10.25.1 same pistons the difference was in the head. I went to a 99 head, with flattop I would be at 11.1

1 - 15 of 15 Posts