Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that don't know, I finally got my DTA P&P heads with Modmax valves and Bullitt intake. I also have a set of Comp Cams.

We started the install on Monday and here is the story:

Getting the block ready (Brandon)

We decided to bolt on the heads without the cams to make it easier to torque the heads down.

Had to put my ass into it (Me)

Heads in place

Here's where everything went bad...really bad

We put the cam in and it wouldn't turn!! We messed with it all monday night and no luck. Tuesday night we took it out and reinstalled it without the followers. Still nothing. Tried the other head, same thing. Tuesday night Brandon took 1 cam home and put it in an extra head he had. It spun fine.

I borrow a micrometer and measure everything. The cam journals are too small to fit the cam!

The cam measures 1.061 and all the journals measure 1.059!!!!
They need to be 1.062-1.063 I think. WTF!!! Both heads are this way. I'm at a loss. Talked to SD and he said to get them line bored. I can't find anyone around here that can do an OHC head. Talked to Livernois Motorsports and he said that they can most likely do it and he's going to call me back. But I'll have to ship the heads to them so it's not gonna be cheap. This is freaking BS. I'm extremely pissed right now.

Not sure how the hell they are too small. How could this happen? Anyone have any input on this? Like I said it's both heads. And on each head, the journals are all within .002 of each other and they are all SMALLER than the cam. Like I said, the cams are fine, they bolted right into another set of heads.

Someone please tell me what could be going on here!

·
The BarTender
1,651 Posts
That does suck big time. Hopefully someone here will have an answer for you.

Razor.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Damn...

R. Stinchcomb said:
...Ken, sorry to hear this, let me know if I can help.
s.d. strikes again !

Randy
Well, I'm going to need new head bolts for sure. I'll give you a call next week.

Ken

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Modular Matt said:
Damn man i'm sorry 2 hear about your issues but why not just buy head studs?
As far as I know, you can use studs if the motor is in the car. Not enough clearance. I could be wrong though. Anyone know?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Ken, I'm about 95% sure that Bob C from the other board that posts as Boss96 did do the head studs with the motor in the car but it was a real pain and he would never do it again. Ive tried to get the heads off with them(ARPS) in and it was almost impossible even lifting one side of the motor at a time... So long story short...it CAN be done but its not advised.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mailed out a check overnight to Xtreme Cylinder head in Florida today. Heads should ship back here tomorrow and I'll have them on Friday. Hope to have it together this weekend. I'm shooting for the Ford Chip tune in Cleveland on the 21st or 28th.

Thanks for asking!

Ken

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
doug97gt said:
How about an update!

Doug
Sure! Got the heads, put the car back together, and already got it tuned. It made 317 rwhp and 314 rwtq.

Took it to the track last night and ran a [email protected] with a horrible 1.74 60'

Definitely some suspension issues but I'll get those worked out soon enough.

KEn

·
Registered
180 Posts
Oh shit, Randy better cover his ass. Great job Ken!

joe

·
Registered
52 Posts
Awesome numbers and times. If you don't mind me asking what are the spec's on the cam and how much did you open up the heads.

·
Registered
17 Posts
KenB said:
For those that don't know, I finally got my DTA P&P heads with Modmax valves and Bullitt intake. I also have a set of Comp Cams.

We started the install on Monday and here is the story:

Getting the block ready (Brandon)

We decided to bolt on the heads without the cams to make it easier to torque the heads down.

Had to put my ass into it (Me)

Heads in place

Here's where everything went bad...really bad

We put the cam in and it wouldn't turn!! We messed with it all monday night and no luck. Tuesday night we took it out and reinstalled it without the followers. Still nothing. Tried the other head, same thing. Tuesday night Brandon took 1 cam home and put it in an extra head he had. It spun fine.

I borrow a micrometer and measure everything. The cam journals are too small to fit the cam!

The cam measures 1.061 and all the journals measure 1.059!!!!
They need to be 1.062-1.063 I think. WTF!!! Both heads are this way. I'm at a loss. Talked to SD and he said to get them line bored. I can't find anyone around here that can do an OHC head. Talked to Livernois Motorsports and he said that they can most likely do it and he's going to call me back. But I'll have to ship the heads to them so it's not gonna be cheap. This is freaking BS. I'm extremely pissed right now.

Not sure how the hell they are too small. How could this happen? Anyone have any input on this? Like I said it's both heads. And on each head, the journals are all within .002 of each other and they are all SMALLER than the cam. Like I said, the cams are fine, they bolted right into another set of heads.

Someone please tell me what could be going on here!
My question is did DTA ship you the heads with the cams installed? If so then was is just another DTA screw-up, or are there issues with the heads not being to spec? I've read other posts about the cam fitment issue and am trying to identify where the problem actually arises.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: Re: My project update - not good

myhorsedollar said:
My question is did DTA ship you the heads with the cams installed? If so then was is just another DTA screw-up, or are there issues with the heads not being to spec? I've read other posts about the cam fitment issue and am trying to identify where the problem actually arises.
No, DTA did not install the cams. There are two things that could have happened.

1) He sent the wrong cam caps. He swears up and down that he didn't.

2) The heads were out of spec. This has happened with other people so I'm leaning toward this one.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts