Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving home today, and I realized that my transmission (stock) was acting as if it was proshifted. in all the gears except from 1st to 2nd, you could let off the gas and nicely shift, no clunk or clank, just seemed like a perfect shift. Now on a race car this wouldn't bother me at all, maybe even a blessing, but this worries me that something else amy be wrong. I know at the right rmp's and with a good push you can do this in a lot of sticks, it's just really easy to do at any and all rpm points when you let off the gas. Anyone else have this??? Any ideas? Also I have a little clank when you're off the gas but in gear and step onto the pedal, not hard or anything wither. Maybe the TB bearing?
thanks!

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
I think your clank while in gear in transition from off/on throttle is normal, due to drivetrain slop. Mine does that. I can't help with your clutchless shifting, I don't do that.

Bill

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
maybe the syncros are bad?? I'm not sure, I guess I'll just have to take it to the dealership, maybe they'll replace the trans.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
If you go to the dealer and say, "I can shift without pushing in the clutch", they'll prabably say, you shouldn't do that, YOU messed up the trans..

The clunk is most like normal, they all have a slight one.

I have shifted all my manual trans cars without the clutch on occasion. If you match the RPM's even a little bit they usualy shift easy, at least not under full load.

I drove a T-5 like that for about 100 miles when my clutch cable melted.

I don't think you have anything wrong with the car.

JT

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I knwo you can match rpm's and do it in most stick cars, but it's just too easy. I can do it at all times as long as I'm not on the gas pedal. Maybe it is normal, can anyone else do it? I understand what you're saying about the dealership, and with all of heard you're probably right.. ohh well, at least when the trans blows, if it does, it'll be under warrenty.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Maybe they screwed up at the factory and put one of those Jericho trannys in it, like the Nascar ones lol.. little humor, not much, just a little

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well, my only wonder was if the pervious owner was a big bastard and had the trans pro-shifted for some reason.. but I doubt it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
straightliner1 said:
Can you downshift it while using the clutch? I have been told you cannot downshift a proshifted tranny.
Yes, I can downshift it while using the clutch. You can downshift a proshifted tranny, it's just hard. and mine isn't hard. So I guess it's not actually proshifted :blob but then why is it doing it??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts