Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As much as I say Im done modding the car. I dont think I will ever be done until I sell it :chairshot: This winter I decided to go Auto with my car. I felt going Auto would be best for the my car especially with the Turbo. I was at the point where I would have to sacrifice something with the clutch. Either something not to aggressive for street drive ability but not hold the power at the track well and put a new one in every year. Or one that will hold the power and potentially give me some serious trans issues and less streetability. So I figured ill put an Auto in it. I decided on a Turbo 400 trans which is a Chevy trans. I know I know. :ninja: I also had a custom converter built from Ultimate Converter Concepts for my application and a custom Chromoly driveshaft built by Dynatech.

"While I was at it" I decided to change turbos again. I went from a standard Precision 76mm to a Billet wheeled Precision 76 with a ported housing.

I took the car for its first ride the other night since the swap. I dont know why I didnt do this sooner. The car flat out hauls ass. Power is always there and comes on much harder and quicker then it did with the stick and its still fun to drive. It was cold out so traction was terrible. I will take some new vids as soon as the weather gets warmer here.

I want to thank Ken (4sdvenom) for hooking me up with a Killer center console and Tony (Blk-03) for helping me with info for all the odds and ends of my swap.

Here are some pics

Trans.

UCC Converter

3.5" Chromolydriveshaft

Trans installed. Dont mind the pan. Im repainting it. It got scratched up moving it around my shop since Dec.

Trans cooler with fan

Center console

New Billet turbo next to the old Precision.

·
Registered
764 Posts
that looks sick!

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
:beerchug:

Let us know what values you end up entering in the SCT software to get the speedo to be accurate!

·
GearBanger Extraordinaire
1,006 Posts
that center console is money. I cant wait to do the auto swap in my car. im probably going to go with a turbo 400 as well so im interested to hear your input on the track performance. im tired of changing clutches every 3 months too.

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
that center console is money. I cant wait to do the auto swap in my car. im probably going to go with a turbo 400 as well so im interested to hear your input on the track performance. im tired of changing clutches every 3 months too.
It's an awesome transmission... especially if you are keeping close to stock weight.

I was arguably the world's biggest T56 nutswinger, and I can say with confidence that switching to the TH400 was something I should have done a long time ago. An automatic is almost a necessity if you want to take full advantage of the power in a turbo application.

I went through three busted 26 spline input shafts before the third one took out the main shaft in the tranny. I was looking at some major $ to rebuild.

In hindsight, I wish I would never have replaced the input shaft three times, and just went straight to the auto. 3 input shafts at $250+. That would have almost paid for the torque converter, lol.

Here is my center console made by Ken as well. Awesome piece.

·
Registered
765 Posts
You guys have almost sold me on going Auto as well. The setup looks great!

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
Manny went through how many T56's???

Supposedly to make them live with this much power, you have to tap the case, run an external pump, cooler, and jet to spray the cooled transmission fluid onto the input shaft.

If I'm running lines and coolers, it's for an auto, not a crutch to make a manual live, lol.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
damnit. i need a turbo400!!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Console and install look great!

I think the th400 is the direction I am going with my 93 coupe project thats getting a turbo'd 4v. I am glad to see theres several running them with good results

·
Registered
839 Posts
Car looks clean juiced46.I have been driving my car for the last two days with the th400 and put about 200 miles on it. Also made about 7 1/8 mile passes at the track today with the trans brake.Even with the 3800-4000 stall converter from ultimate it drives great.I have no regrets in doing the swap. Now i just need to get it tuned and the speedo parameters corrected so i can break something else at the track.

Alex

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
:beerchug:

Let us know what values you end up entering in the SCT software to get the speedo to be accurate!
Will do buddy. Im hoping to retune the car soon and I will let you know.

I hear you on changing clutches, one of the big reasons I went auto. I know I would be killing clutches and transmissions dumping the clutch off the 2 step on full boost. The Tbrake is more fun anyway :bigwink:

Do it!

How much did the set up run you?
All said and done I am in it for about $5000 in parts and I did all the labor myself.

Car looks clean juiced46.I have been driving my car for the last two days with the th400 and put about 200 miles on it. Also made about 7 1/8 mile passes at the track today with the trans brake.Even with the 3800-4000 stall converter from ultimate it drives great.I have no regrets in doing the swap. Now i just need to get it tuned and the speedo parameters corrected so i can break something else at the track.

Alex
Im itching to drive my car more but we are getting hit with more damn snow today after it was just all melted away. Im pissed!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Those consoles look incredible! Nice work. Auto's are the king at the strip and/or with really big power. No question about it. Th400 is a great choice for a 3speed too.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
All said and done I am in it for about $5000 in parts and I did all the labor myself.
So can you do a rundown of the parts? I don't care if you don't have prices for everything, I just want to see what all is needed. I've been thinking about an auto for a while, but knee surgery last month on my left knee has pretty much forced my decision :(

·
Registered
765 Posts
So can you do a rundown of the parts? I don't care if you don't have prices for everything, I just want to see what all is needed. I've been thinking about an auto for a while, but knee surgery last month on my left knee has pretty much forced my decision :(
Sorry to hear, bud. What did you do? I had my 2nd ACL tear a couple months ago(along w/ a lateral meniscus tear) and had surgery on Jan 15th. I'm feeling great now, just on the slow road to full recovery.

Manny went through how many T56's???

Supposedly to make them live with this much power, you have to tap the case, run an external pump, cooler, and jet to spray the cooled transmission fluid onto the input shaft.

If I'm running lines and coolers, it's for an auto, not a crutch to make a manual live, lol.
God, he is on like #4 I think. Pretty sure he is going Auto now though as he has had enough. Haha I'm thinking I'm going to go Auto before anything breaks so I can get a decent price on my T-56 setup to put towards the auto.

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
I'm thinking I'm going to go Auto before anything breaks so I can get a decent price on my T-56 setup to put towards the auto.
Very wise decision.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts