Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi im new here.. thought you guys might like this swap. i own a 1980 capri (dressed up to be a 92 lx 5.0 stang) iv swaped in a 2000 (P.I) 6.8L triton v10 in it. and added some boost to it. its got twin 16g mitsu turbos on it for now. but i spotted 2 t4 or holset turbos for cheap that i will be swaping in later on. im looking to make 550-600hp with the current setup, and 800hp with the bigger turbos. gonna keep the tune bone stock. it will run like a stocker(ie real smooth like the v10s always are) i have 4.6L Solid motor mounts that im useing for the swap. i mite also if needed swap out my k-member for a AJE 4.6L swap k-member with a 1.5inch rack drop. but sofar it looks posible to keep the stock k-member with a lil work. my goals are to have it fit under the Stock hood, and haul major a##. you can check it out at www.twin-turbo-v10-mustang.envy.nu please tell me what you think. any coments are welcome. i also got quite a few links to other v-10 swaps. feel free to ask me questions i will answer them the best i can.

-Bob aka Triton.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Looks interesting, I'd like to see the numbers when you do some pulls and also some clearer pics showing how much room this giant takes up:cool:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i'll be sure to put up some numbers when ever i finish it.. (just getting it running with the 2 turbos i have now is just the first stage) then when i make some more money im haveing the short block built by D.S.S. and ill have the bigger turbos on it and i will ditch the t45 for that Built tko v1.0 tranny. then we will see some real numbers, and yes i agree i need some better pic's every has told me that.. i wasnt the one who took the pic's and all of them was at night... the digi cam didnt seem to like the dark. but yeah as soon as i can get my friend back over here with the digi cam I will take some better more detailed picture of it in the state it stand now. i have been bugging him to get over here just so i can get a Full pic of the car its self! id like to have one for the main page... but my friends been really busy so i havent been able to get him over.. but anywho... this is indeed one of the more interesting swaps i'v done.. might turn it into a shop project later on. im gonna make "test pipes" to put in place of the turbos so i can take a cupple N/A runs and see what it has stock.

-Triton.

p.s. thanks for the intrest in my project.. didnt think anyone was gonna reply to my post hehe.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Wow Bob, I like your ingenuity!
This is the first I saw of your project. I'll bet it will be a sleeper for sure. Please keep us posted on the on going "battles".

Best of luck

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hey Bob,

Would you know what the specs of a '98 V10 are?
Ive just had a look at the vehicle that I have to set up with the V10. It is a '50 Mercury leadsled. It has a 4R100 attached.
A custom intake manifold will have a Lysolm Whipplecharger attached.
The stock injectors are yellow(19lb/hr?).
What size MAF is stock on these and what is it's part number.
Any reason the left rocker cover is different to the right? Clearance issues maybe?

Cheers,
Pete.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well EECIV351C a 98 v10 is a non P.I.(power improved) motor so it will have 265hp and 410tq (rated by ford.. i dont know the real numbers of the non p.i motors.). yes they have 19# injectors. i beleave they use a 80mm maf stock (but dont think 80mm is big.. the stock maf is junk).. its a 80mm tube with something like a 60mm hole in it or so i beleave. but dont quote me on that. i havent seen a new ford maf they may of changed im not sure. id get a aftermarket maf if i was you. i dont know the part numbers for the stock maf.. i my self am useing a pro-M maf.. i had it laying around so im gonna put it to use. and one valve cover is diffrent then the other because the v-10 has a balence shaft in the drivers side head it makes up to the 2 extra cylenders.. iv been thinking about haveing mine removed and just getting the motor balenced. not to sure if that will work or not.. well good luck with that lead sled! id love to see some pic's of it when your done!.

-Triton. aka Bob.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thanks TritonBob,

Yes I'll certainly be using an aftermarket MAF but I wanted to know what was stock so I knew what to tell Pro-M when buying a large one.
The guy that owns it reckons it was a current model 6.8L. I took one look at the rocker cover sticker and saw a 3-12-98 date. It also has the number 9E660AA....hope the E doesn't mean E-series. Will that mean the EEC has PATS if it's from an E-series van or not?
I'll certainly post some pics when I can get some.

Cheers,
Pete.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm never looked into if the vans had pats or not.. they probly do.. but if thats the case just use a eec from a F250 of the same year, thats what im doing, all the P.A.T.S. crap is in the eec so useing one that does not have pats will fix that lil problem. i dont know the exact date of when they switched over all i know is that 99 was the year of the P.I. motors so thats around when they switched to the P.I. heads and intake.
the P.I. engines made 310hp and 425tq at the crank as ford rates them.. but the real numbers for the P.I. v10 is around 333hp and 450tq at the crank. ford under rated it.. go figure.. but thats ok. the more power the better. :blob

-Bob.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thanks Bob,

Sorry mate more questions;
Would you know how to decode that number I posted?
Are the PI engines stronger down below?
Another guy here has heard about the '50 Sled and wants to know if one will fit in an early '90's Falcon so....What is the overall length of the engine? Should I just assume same length as a 5.4 + 2 cylinders?
I'd measure the one in the sled but it's gone interstate to have the blower fitted.

Pete.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Short Block is the same between the P.I. and non P.I. motors the only things that changed are the heads (maybe cams?) and intake, the bottem end is good till about 750hp if your lucky and have a good tune.. the rods and pistons are junk. the pistons cant take much more then 10psi boost(i have seen 17psi with a Really good intercooler before with the stock pistons.) the Crank and Block will take what ever you can throw at it hehe. Nice Stock forged steal crank and Cross Bolted Deep Skirt 6 bolt main block have been proven to over 2000hp the only Weak points in the engine are the rods pistons and oil pump "gears".. i have no clue how to decode that number sorry.. the v-10 is 2.5 inches longer then a 302 (5.0)if that helps any. if i can find a ruler around here i'll messure mine and tell you the exact length. i dont know to much about aussie cars. but as far as i understand the falcon Might be like a USA Fox body car?(like my car.) and if so then it should fit. Hope this helps any.

-Bob.

P.s. yes the 6.8 v10 is just a 5.4 with 2 more cylenders.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok i found my ruler... its 28inches long.. thats from the back of the head to the front of the crank pulley. its roughly the same in width. give or take 1 inch. hope this helps out any.

-Bob

·
Registered
622 Posts
v-10 swap

hey just had to ask bout what u r using for a computer and for headers??? does the truck/van ecu take aftermaket chips??? im sure this was a costly swap, but the headers and electronic scare me the most...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Im useing the computer from a 2000 F250 and yes you can get chips for them but i am not going to use a chip unless if i realy have to. im trying to keep the tune bone stock. i dont know of any headers that will fit for the swap.. i do know that you can use shortys for a 4.6 and just add one tube to each header. iv seen that done before. that way you can use your stock or close to stock h-pipe, but im just useing that stock exhaust manifolds... just fliped them upside down to fit the turbos in front of the engine.. and the wiring... well thats the bigest pain in the a## i have the pin outs to get it running. just hope it works when the time comes to start it up. and for price... iv got around 2500 bucks usdn in it sofar.. and i beleave to get it on the road its gonna take atleast $1500 more to get it rolling.. then after i blow up the tranny i will have to opt for the tremec tko v1.0 for 1600 bucks. then the upgraded turbos are 630 bucks then 2 waste gates thats another 400 bucks. and who knows how much for 10 injectors. the stock ones i can only go to about 600hp on the 19 pounders if im lucky. 36 pounders will be perfect tho.

-Bob.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Triton V10 said:
The Short Block is the same between the P.I. and non P.I. motors the only things that changed are the heads (maybe cams?) and intake, the bottem end is good till about 750hp if your lucky and have a good tune.. the rods and pistons are junk. the pistons cant take much more then 10psi boost(i have seen 17psi with a Really good intercooler before with the stock pistons.) the Crank and Block will take what ever you can throw at it hehe. Nice Stock forged steal crank and Cross Bolted Deep Skirt 6 bolt main block have been proven to over 2000hp the only Weak points in the engine are the rods pistons and oil pump "gears".. i have no clue how to decode that number sorry.. the v-10 is 2.5 inches longer then a 302 (5.0)if that helps any. if i can find a ruler around here i'll messure mine and tell you the exact length. i dont know to much about aussie cars. but as far as i understand the falcon Might be like a USA Fox body car?(like my car.) and if so then it should fit. Hope this helps any.

-Bob.

P.s. yes the 6.8 v10 is just a 5.4 with 2 more cylenders.
Thanks Bob,

Jeez 2.5" is stuff all difference!(eeexcellent) I suppose you could use a set(plus a bit) of rods and pistons from the 5.4 DOHC GT engine we have here. Not if it's blown though....10.5:1 is what they have. Of course that assumes you can buy them(probably not) Do Manley make a 5.4/6.8 rod?
Nope the Falcon is nothing like the Fox body. It has SLAS suspension for a start. It does have a removable K-member though and the latest models have a cast alloy front cross-member. All Falcons are front sump equipped also.

Cheers,
Pete.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yes you could use rods from a 5.4L engine... one thing thats iv been thinking of going with are the rods and pistons from a ford lightning 5.4L motor.. they are dished Forged pistons.. with good rods (i beleave they are eagel rods?) just dont know how to get a set of 10 insted of 8. but yes lots of teh parts for a 5.4 will fit the v10.

-Bob.

·
Registered
138 Posts
You don't want to use stock Lightning rods, they are junk powdered metal, and fail at about 450rwhp. There are lots of nice aftermarket ones, I sell them, if you need any motor internals, I'd be happy to help.

BTW, I noticed you are using an 00 F250 PCM. If your PCM code is FOT2, FOT4, AEO2, or XXI0, I can do a chip for it. I got the software for that PCM family when I did the tuning on a V-10 in a Grand Marquis I was helping a customer with.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
LightningTuner said:
You don't want to use stock Lightning rods, they are junk powdered metal, and fail at about 450rwhp. .
Really?? i was always told they used Forged rods.. never heard anyone ever say they still used the powered metal rods. i was always told they used eagle rods. ah well must of been misinformed then... btw i know of the Grand Marquis you are talking about i beleave i have a link to his page on my web site or so i think. i know one of the links on my site says something about PSP helping them with the tune of the v-10... and could you sell 10 rods? or do they only come in a set or 8? and if so how much would it be? i would Love to get some good rods... the more insurence the better. last thing i need is a whole in the block. tho the blocks are cheap. its just the fact of it being a PITA to build another motor!. :shocked

-Bob :blob

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yes, what the stock rods are, are Forged Powdered Metal rods. All Triton 4.6, 5.4, and 6.8s come with them. They are better than cast, but not even close to an aftermarket forged. The guy with the V-10 GM, I supplied all the engine internals to, so yes I can get you 10 rods. I'll check on the pricing. Whoever told you about the factory aftermarket rods, might have been thinking of the 03 Cobras, which come from the factory with Manley rods.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
..yeah who knows... but yeah if you can get me a price on some rods that would be cool. i need rods that will live upto 800hp or more just for insurence, im not planing on turning the motor any higher then the stock revlimetor of what.... 5200-5400r's?. i know the rods are rated for v8's so i figure that if rods for a v8 are rated at 800hp.. you would devide 800 by 8 and times it by 10 and thats what they will handel in a v10 or so thats how my brain see's it. my Goals are no more then 800hp and i'll be happy. maybe some day down the road i'll build another v10 for much more hp. but 800hp should do me good :lol since im only used to 420hp.. so 800 should kill me hehe. well thanks alot man. i need all the help i can get.

-Bob. :blob

p.s. sorry boredumb kicked in during this reply :hammer hehe.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts