Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have quite the unique setup going for a N/A streetable 2v motor. MMR1000s stroker kit with flat top pistons and stage 2 mmr heads with comp cam 270ah. essentially i am trying to max out the possibilities for streetable trim by adding a water meth kit to run on pump gas and possibly running a small shot of nitrous later. what are your thoughts on the compression and possible behavior to expect from the motor in this trim. any comments are appreciated.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I wouldn't run a stroker crank on an N/A application. The 4.6 already has a pretty long stroke as it is. Adding friction from the increased side load, and slowing down the time to rev, is not what you want in a high compression street mod engine IMO.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I agree with mtrsprt the only way I see a stroker helping you is if you have huge cams and want to keep the rpm's down so you can use a synchronized trans.

Also keep the compression around 11:1 and ditch the water/meth kit idea. The water will displace much needed oxygen in a N/A motor so the only way to get real gains is to use strait meth which is highly flammable. :blowup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Several different combustion variables are affected by water injection.

1st. charge cooling.

2nd. slowing of flame front speed, improving combustion completion.

3rd. additive effect expansion, when water changes state from a liquid to a gas in the heat of combustion. the ratio of expansion of water from a liquid to a gas(steam) is about 600 to 1.

While any one variable may not be significant; the sum of the three do have a positive impact on engine performance.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Could you go with a stock stroke big bore setup instead of the stroker. I would think that high revving big bore would make the same amount of power and torque or at least it would make it up higher in the rpm instead of lower.

·
Registered
427 Posts
The only time I like a stroker is on a big bore, because it keeps the engine close to being square. 3.7in bore and 3.75in stoke is pretty good, but the 3.55 bore and 3.75 stoke is too much.

·
Registered
469 Posts
all that work and you keep comp 270s? tisk tisk lol

1 thing you did wrong was you want a n/a beast so why go with such a heavy rotating assembly? light weight forged good name i beams,good arp hardware( i would have done a stock crank but hey its urs)11:5:1 compression,ported heads,custom cams,and an intake to suck all that in..

problem is your compression is to the point to where you going to have to pull so much timing to run on pump gas its like your motor is not 10:5:1..

and i dont know about meth on a n/a car but the water wouldnt help anything just use 100% meth..

why dont you consider e85 thats your best bet for your setup...

i also agree on the stoker thing but hey its already done..

·
Registered
675 Posts
I'm doing the same thing, if I can ever finish my build. 13.5:1 N/A with and AIS meth injection N/A kit. I'm hoping this will up the octane enough to be able to use pump 93 octane. My cams are huge, so that should help immensely as well.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Water injection will do nothing for you on an NA car....the meth injection will work but you will need a competent tuner to make it really work right and benefit power.

I think E85 is definitely the best option for any sort of high boost/high compression street car. Running the engine on straight methanol would actually be ideal and would make great power, but would be a little unrealistic as far as availability and fuel mileage are concerned.

I would have to agree with loosing the stroker unless you've already purchased it.

·
Registered
669 Posts
It depends if you are useing a 4R70W or Manual........I will be building a 5.0 aluminum Block from Ford Racing and using a stroker kit and overbore to create 324 CU Inches.....the cam will be on a tight LSA with a CR of around 11.5 to 1 with my Ported TFS Heads....the goal is to build 400 + HP and TQ at around 6000 rpms......One my builder did put out 398/398 with a Bullet intake.......that was STD not SAE....and at 6000 rpms....a stroker would be good for an auto set up as you don't want to spin the auto to the moon.....but for a manual....just a 5.0 block and overbore would allow you some nice RPMs with the right intake, head and cam combo....

"ED"

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i was just wanting a torquey street car and when i purchased my kit from mmr i was told it was a workable combo. then when i called back upon research and talked to their tech guy instead of the sales rep he told me that he didnt know who told me this combo would work and that it would be near impossible to run it on pump gas, then i told him the guys name and he switched me over to him to have an awkward conversation about how i possibly just flushed my cash down the drain. if anyone has any ideas for me on how to pull this off i would be truly greatful.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Im assuming ur pistons are notches? The answer is easy....get better cams comp 270s will not maxiumize ur setup and run e85 not a meth kit

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i dont have access to e85 which i would run if i did. thats why i was looking at the snow performance water meth kit. and i have flattop pistons each wiith a single notch in the piston. if i go too large on the cam wont it be a dog down low?

·
Registered
469 Posts
i didnt say larger cams... i said BETTER cams..your leaving alot on the table with those comps...also if your dead stuck on this meth thing on a n/a motor go with an alky control kit and do 100% meth..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts