Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
81 - 100 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
You're right, $500 is a lot for an alternator. Fitment requires a lot of attention too.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Here's a dumb question, Has anyone tried to add a second ALT. like those guys that run those big stereo systems in their cars?

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Here's a dumb question, Has anyone tried to add a second ALT. like those guys that run those big stereo systems in their cars?
...not sure where you'd put it lol. If there was room for a second alt, we'd probably be better off just relocating the stocker away from the heat. But again, where would it go?

·
Registered
56 Posts
WantedDOA, did Adam furnish the spacer bushings or did you have to make those too? I understand about the bottom mount having to be fabricated, its just that I received my alternator from them and have no spacers or instructions. My unit is pre-wired so no problem there, just the spacers for the top mount and the order they go in. I was going to ask before I made a call to them.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
They supplied me with 1 spacer, but it was too long and I needed 3.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The problem is, he doesnt have a Cobra to work on.
If you cant make a few spacers/cut as needed, then this is not the alternator for you.
No disrespect intended.
I thought you might be generous enough to share the demensions of the spacers since yours is already installed. Forgive me for thinking such. Answers such as yours are the reason i left SVT forums, but do not worry I will fabricate my spacers., and never ever ask for help or advice again on this forum. Even though you stated no disrect intended, thats the way it came across

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Getting at the alternator to take these kinds of measurements is no trivial task.

Luckily for you, Mine is sitting on my garage floor still attached to the brackets.

The following dimensions aligned my pulley as close as my tools can measure. The belt holds solid. I have several street pulls on this alt, and about 6 track passes.

HOWEVER, I highly recommend you measure everything yourself. Wrap a large zip tie around the alt pulley as a make shift belt measurement guide because the pulleys are going to be different widths. You need to measure from the first rib, or the inside of the last rib...

Top front: .350
Top rear .400
Bottom is a .365" nut

This setup has the alt touching the PS lines & frame rail. As you can see by the image, I cannot get the alt body any closer to the block because of the lower bracket to lower mount ear interference. If one were to mill down the ear on the alt body, and mill down the associated bracket you could make the alt clear and still run poly or stock rubber motor mounts.

I run solid mounts so I just did what it took to get it in as easily as possible.

Attachments

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Getting at the alternator to take these kinds of measurements is no trivial task.

Luckily for you, Mine is sitting on my garage floor still attached to the brackets.

The following dimensions aligned my pulley as close as my tools can measure. The belt holds solid. I have several street pulls on this alt, and about 6 track passes.

HOWEVER, I highly recommend you measure everything yourself. Wrap a large zip tie around the alt pulley as a make shift belt measurement guide because the pulleys are going to be different widths. You need to measure from the first rib, or the inside of the last rib...

Top front: .350
Top rear .400
Bottom is a .365" nut

This setup has the alt touching the PS lines & frame rail. As you can see by the image, I cannot get the alt body any closer to the block because of the lower bracket to lower mount ear interference. If one were to mill down the ear on the alt body, and mill down the associated bracket you could make the alt clear and still run poly or stock rubber motor mounts.

I run solid mounts so I just did what it took to get it in as easily as possible.
I have poly mounts and had about 3/4" between the alternator and frame rail.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
In the hopes of making an actual kit for the Cobra, I just spoke with Adam at Nation's and we came up with this:

He is looking for an 03-04 Cobra to use at his shop to make a genuine bolt-in kit.
According to Adam, he will need the car 1-2 days (simply because he is super busy)
The install kit will be free, the labor will be free, and he is offering a $100 discount off the price of the alternator in exchange for your car.

If you want to be a part of this, contact Adam at 573-334-2632
Their shop is about 100 miles south of St. Louis.

He has made almost 10 units so far, with no complaints or problems!

·
Boost-aholic
2,821 Posts
Dammit!!!

I was planning a trip down to Cape Girardeau this weekend but no plans of driving my Cobra as it is in the shop getting "upgrades". I wish my car was done and the threat of winter weather wasn't just a blink away. I would have no problem driving my car down there and dropping it off to let him install the altenator and use it as a mock up for his kit. If he doesn't have one by the spring time I may have to drive my turd down there and let him have it for a couple days.

Jr.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Bump for post #93
I'd be all over this if I lived closer. I'm hoping something is worked out by the spring when I relocate my battery to the trunk.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wanted,

Got my alt today. Looking over the voltage regulator, I assume the adjustment crew is under that wonky little cover near the terminals? And which of the two wires on our factory pigtail does the White wire(on the new alt) splice into for the 12v switched ignition?

Also...anybody interested in a practically new PA Performance 130a alternator? lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Also,

Is the hole spacing(for the bracket) that is quoted in this thread center to center...or is that the distance between the 2 holes. Someone mentioned needing a longer belt...anybody have the size off the top of their head? Stock pulleys on my rig btw.

Looks like we might get a break in the weather here and I am hoping to have everything ready to rock when I tear the old one out.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
any updates on this?

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
bump. any updates?

81 - 100 of 133 Posts