Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
121 - 133 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
I don't have a cobra but this is what I did for my 2v. I was experiencing voltage drops at the top of my runs. I ordered a Powermaster 200 amp alternator thinking this would fix my problem. Well, It didn't. So with a little research I ran across this website that makes adjustable regulator pigtails for GM alternators. I contacted them about my style of alternator and received a reply stating that they could make a pigtail for my application but I would need to change the regulator inside the alternator to an adjustable unit. I purchased the regulator and pigtail and installed it in my Powermaster alternator. This gives me the ability to adjust voltage from 12-19 volts. I've got it set to 14.9 and it works like a champ. Voltage never drops below 13.8 on any of my datalogs.

Again, not sure if this would work for the 4v units but it's worth some investigating. Here is the website:

http://store.mechmanhighoutputalter...-module-for-gm-alternators-w-4-pin-oval-plug/

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 · (Edited)
I have the proper info for everyone to correctly hook this up.
My alternator came without a wire now utilized in current alternators from Nations.
You will need to remove the back cover and solder a wire on as shown:

The green/red wire at the stock connector goes to the top pin on the regulator (I)
The second pin (a) goes to the output post on the alternator
The third pin (s) goes to where I have shown in the picture
The fourth pin (f) goes to the green wire in the new alternator connector
B- is grounded
When the car is running, the green light will illuminate and the light will be off on the dash

·
Registered
746 Posts
Another option to the nations alternator may be the billet-tech alternator:

http://www.billetalternator.com/index.php/products/alternators.html

There is a (150A, 170A, 240A, 270A and 320A) version. They are made by Mechman.

This is the e-mail I received from Bill-Tech for a quote:

The 170 amp racing unit would be the way to go. With the standard 2.5" diameter alternator pulley, you will have great output at engine idle speed, and will not over-spin the alternator at redline. It is very durable, much more so than the stock small case 6G alternator that comes on the terminator cars. It also comes with the standard 10 year warranty. We offer it in 4 finishes:

Machined aluminum - $599
Polished aluminum - $624
Black anodized - $624
Chrome plated - $649

The 240 Amp version is $50 more.

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
Another option to the nations alternator may be the billet-tech alternator:

http://www.billetalternator.com/index.php/products/alternators.html

There is a (150A, 170A, 240A, 270A and 320A) version. They are made by Mechman.

This is the e-mail I received from Bill-Tech for a quote:

The 170 amp racing unit would be the way to go. With the standard 2.5" diameter alternator pulley, you will have great output at engine idle speed, and will not over-spin the alternator at redline. It is very durable, much more so than the stock small case 6G alternator that comes on the terminator cars. It also comes with the standard 10 year warranty. We offer it in 4 finishes:

Machined aluminum - $599
Polished aluminum - $624
Black anodized - $624
Chrome plated - $649

The 240 Amp version is $50 more.
will be testing out this unit this weekend and will have a thread with pics and logs

·
Registered
746 Posts
will be testing out this unit this weekend and will have a thread with pics and logs
What Amp rating did you go with? I am thinking about going with the 240 Amp version. I just don't something that's going to take too much HP to run. I wonder How much more the 240 Amp version would take to run?

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
What Amp rating did you go with? I am thinking about going with the 240 Amp version. I just don't something that's going to take too much HP to run. I wonder How much more the 240 Amp version would take to run?
they sent me a 170 which was tested to 174...black anodized....fit in stock location with no mods....very well made

·
Registered
323 Posts
Any updates on this one ??

My alternator just died once again and I want to get rid of that issue once and for all.

Would appreciate positive feedback before spending that kind of money...

Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
Any updates on this one ??

My alternator just died once again and I want to get rid of that issue once and for all.

Would appreciate positive feedback before spending that kind of money...

Thanks
Will have a thread up next week sometime

·
Registered
90 Posts
No to bring up another old thread but.....since so many of us are still having voltage issues, what is the general consensus on which of the solutions provided in this thread is the best?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Old thread I know but, has Jake started that thread on his alternator yet? I'm having the same issues as everyone else with voltage drop.

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
Old thread I know but, has Jake started that thread on his alternator yet? I'm having the same issues as everyone else with voltage drop.
no this week…have some good logs now that I can show in hot air and cold air

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Mine is still fine. It doesn't see a lot of miles but I have spun it with a 6 lbs lower and it charged like it should.

121 - 133 of 133 Posts