Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know if a mustang damper, and what year/model stang would fit on a navigator 5.4???

would a 96-04 GT/cobra damper work, or maybe a GT 05+???

any help would be appreciated

Rob
ATI Performance Products

·
Registered
177 Posts
If you don't mind 6-rib, then pretty much any 96+ damper will fit. If you must have 8-rib, then look for a truck damper.

·
Registered
177 Posts
If you are in a bind, I probably have a few laying around my shop. I think I have both 6 and 8 rib.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I'm trying to do some research to see if any of the SFI dampers we build for our mustangs would fit on a Navigator. Are the Navigators 8 rib OEM???

Rob ATI performance Products
www.atiracing.com

·
Registered
177 Posts
Not all, I have 3 spare Nav 4v motors, 2 have the 8 Rib and one has 6 rib. Also I have 1 Nav 5.4 2v and a 4.6 2v truck engine that both have 8 rib. Seems kinda "hit or miss".

·
Registered
177 Posts
I don't know why they don't just make all the dampers 8 rib? That way they would only need 1 part for all, since the 8 rib will work with a 6 rib setup too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
agreed both our 6 rib and 8 rib will work with no problems. we make both to keep the cost dowm. making the 8 rib needs more material, and if the car isn't supercharged an 8 rib isnt necessary.

So a mustang 4.6 GT damper will fit the Navigator 5.4L??

Rob
ATI Performance Products
www.ATIRACING.com

·
Registered
177 Posts
I don't see why the 4.6 damper wouldn't work fine.

I have compared the many dampers I have at my shop, and they all look interchangable. If somebody has some different info, I hope they chime in.

I have on hand and have compared:

5.4 Lightning 8 rib - Using it on my 5.4 4v Eaton conversion (only using 6 rib belt for accessories for right now, maybe switch to 8 rib later)
4.6 Terminator 6 rib
5.4 Truck 8 rib
5.4 Truck 6 rib
5.4 Nav 4v 8 rib
5.4 Nav 4v 6 rib
4.6 2v 6 rib

·
Registered
177 Posts
Does ATI have a damper that will work with the aux SC pulley on the Terminator/Lightning?

I am using an Alum 03 Cobra flywheel, a performance damper would likely be a good upgrade on my 5.4.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
if you can use the 03-04 cobra style damper with either the cobra cage and OEM blower support, or the cage from the lightening, we indeed can build that damper.

The only stipulation is you need to use the OEM blower pulley and support..

A metco will not work, Although a Chevy pattern pulley can be attached to the front (but you lose the support)

call me at 1-800-284-3433 if you are interested

Rob
ATI
www.atiracing.com

·
Registered
177 Posts
Basically, I am now using a Lightning damper with the 03 Cobra cage/support. I already had a Metco 4# lower setup (swap meet item), but I really didn't want to give up the extra crank support.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is the supercharged Lightening and 03-04 cobra dampers the same?

from the last post I would assume not....

Rob
ATI

·
Registered
177 Posts
Now that I think about it, I didn't compare the diameter? I will have to look again.

Still I know it works fine, I have been driving the car with this setup for over a year now, same belts.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
the outside diameters are different on some of the pulleys. but all of the crank pulleys will interchange w/ each other as far as the i.d. goes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts