Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Short story..

Yesterday I took my car to the dealer for some work. Turned the key off and then took the chip out like my service advisor asked. After we pulled the chip out,the car would no longer start.It just cranks over and wont even pull up the milage.Only a bunch of dashes go across the odometer screen. They tried reflashing it and said it would do nothing and that I need a new computer but will not warranty it because of the marks left on the computer by the chip. Does anyone have any ideas on what to do next...like where to get another computer cheap or why wont it reflash?
Thanks in advance for any help

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Curious,,, What Chip Brand?
I took my Diablo out and drove car withouit it..Put it back in and it works still..
Could be it needs to be Cleaned up again..

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is a diablo chip. It worked fine before and the chip still works in my friends car. After the chip was pulled out..nothing happens,just cranks over. Put the chip back in,same thing

·
Snake Charmer
2,830 Posts
The dashes usually indicate the computer is in theft mode, I have had it happen when installing a chip and the contacts need to be better cleaned. It is strange that your is doing it without a chip though. As mentioned though the bat should be disconnected and system should be allowed to dissapate stored energy (ie let it sit with headlights on for a couple minutes after disconnecting battery) any time you touch the computer.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I dont want to have to go buy another computer. I have a tech at one dealer telling me its a fried ecu and 1 at another dealer telling me that I need to reprogram the pats with a green ford service card.What gives?

·
Snake Charmer
2,830 Posts
03BlownCobra said:
Well, I dont want to have to go buy another computer. I have a tech at one dealer telling me its a fried ecu and 1 at another dealer telling me that I need to reprogram the pats with a green ford service card.What gives?
As I mentioned, from my experience the dashes are indicative of the EEC going into theft protection mode so it may be a simple PATS reprogram.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I honestly believe it's a PATS issue also from what you've said. That's why I posted that link.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Ashamed to admit but...........

In my 00' Lightning..........been there done that. Thats why the directions with the chip literally say place the keys in your pocket when installing / removing the chip.

Is the theft light in the instrument cluster flashing rapidly when you are trying to crank it over? I'm guessing you wiped out the PATs system and the keys simply need to be reprogramed. Disconnect the battery, clear the computer and try to re-program the PATs. Some local lock smiths have the tools neccessary to reprogram Ford PATs systems and cut keys for them. This maybe a cheaper alternative then the dealer. But then again if you did wipe out the ECU..........

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The light on the far left is the seatbelt light and the one next to that is the batt. light. The batt will start flashing along with the Theft light

·
Snake Charmer
2,830 Posts
03BlownCobra said:
Does the pats disable the fuel also?
If I remember correctly I beleive it does, but could be wrong so take it with a grain of salt.

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
03BlownCobra said:
Just got back from another Dealer and they warrantied out the computer. It was definately bad. Thanks for all the help
Dealers,,Like Woman..no 2 are the same...

Good news...

·
Registered
94 Posts
03BlownCobra said:
Just got back from another Dealer and they warrantied out the computer. It was definately bad. Thanks for all the help
That's very cool. Glad you got it sorted.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts