Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright fellas, here's the deal. I really want a thorough explanation of what "powershifting" is. As of right now, I assume that I "granny shift" (ie clutch, shift, release).

So basically, here are my questions:

1) What is "power shifting"? Explain. Also, how does one powershift properly?

2) What is "granny shifting"? Explain.

3) Is there such a thing as "double clutching"? Explain.

Sorry to be asking for such "common sense" info, but no one ever took the time to tell me what these things mean/are.

Thanks in advance for the info. :)
 
G

·
1) shift fast and don't let off the gas

2) ummm... shift slow

3) Truckers term: push clutch in, take trans out of gear, let clutch out, push clutch in , shift into next gear

Hope this helps
 

·
Snake Charmer
Joined
·
2,830 Posts
Mustang2Be said:
Alright fellas, here's the deal. I really want a thorough explanation of what "powershifting" is. As of right now, I assume that I "granny shift" (ie clutch, shift, release).

So basically, here are my questions:

1) What is "power shifting"? Explain. Also, how does one powershift properly?

2) What is "granny shifting"? Explain.

3) Is there such a thing as "double clutching"? Explain.

Sorry to be asking for such "common sense" info, but no one ever took the time to tell me what these things mean/are.

Thanks in advance for the info. :)
Im not the best source of advice for these terms as this is the first manual I have ever owned...LOL and my track times prove it :)

Power shifting is when you press in the clutch and shift gears without taking your foot off the gas. This can be very hard on the driveline but can improve E/T's by quite a bit. With the KB on my car I have found that the RPM's climb so damn fast I would nail rev limiter if I attempted to power shift.

Granny shifting is depressing clutch, letting of gas, shift gear, release clucth and press gas, basically how you would shift driving around town.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Re: Need a lil newbie information...

Shadowgray03 said:
Power shifting is when you press in the clutch and shift gears without taking your foot off the gas. This can be very hard on the driveline but can improve E/T's by quite a bit.
Sounds not to difficult... I'll try it....... the next time I borrow my buddy's car :evil

Shadowgray03 said:
Granny shifting is depressing clutch, letting of gas, shift gear, release clucth and press gas, basically how you would shift driving around town.
That's what I figured.

Now a question about powershifting then.... Do you just have to be quick enough to shift into gear before you hit the rev limiter for this to work or what? My guess is that hitting the rev limiter would not provide for a quick E/T. Also, won't that burn the crap outta the clutch??

Side question: What RPM do most of you guys launch at? Do you dump the clutch or is there some other way you do it??
 

·
Snake Charmer
Joined
·
2,830 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Need a lil newbie information...

Mustang2Be said:
Now a question about powershifting then.... Do you just have to be quick enough to shift into gear before you hit the rev limiter for this to work or what? My guess is that hitting the rev limiter would not provide for a quick E/T. Also, won't that burn the crap outta the clutch??

Side question: What RPM do most of you guys launch at? Do you dump the clutch or is there some other way you do it??
The rev limiter (from what I understand) is a fuel shutoff so you dont want to be banging it all the time. Im not a good racer myself and I just roll off the line at 1500rpm or so. If you dump the clutch your gonna just sit there and spin the tires.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info so far fellas (Shadowgray03, BilletFlow)... Got another quick question though...

Define wheelhop.

I assume this term refers to when the tires are pushed past their traction limits and actually hop of the ground a little bit while spinning. Is that right? I've experienced that a little bit, so I'm guessing that's what it is.

Am I right?
 

·
Snake Charmer
Joined
·
2,830 Posts
Mustang2Be said:
Thanks for the info so far fellas (Shadowgray03, BilletFlow)... Got another quick question though...

Define wheelhop.

I assume this term refers to when the tires are pushed past their traction limits and actually hop of the ground a little bit while spinning. Is that right? I've experienced that a little bit, so I'm guessing that's what it is.

Am I right?
Yep, you got it, wheel hop is when traction gives, but intead of sliding the tire actually bounces off the ground. You will feel it when it happens and its brutal on the driveline, especially the IRS so if it happens back off the GAS pedal asap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Shadowgray03 said:
Yep, you got it, wheel hop is when traction gives, but intead of sliding the tire actually bounces off the ground. You will feel it when it happens and its brutal on the driveline, especially the IRS so if it happens back off the GAS pedal asap.
So how can you get rid of it?? (I'm sure there's tons of threads on this) I assume stickier tires and or some drag shocks would do it.... Anything else??
 

·
Snake Charmer
Joined
·
2,830 Posts
Stickier tires in some cases can make it worse. Many people have tried different things but what it boils down it is a poor IRS design. Some guys have had good luck by replacing shocks/springs. Others have had good luck by going to a poly or delrin IRS, diff and LCA bushings.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top