Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What one's should I get? What's the difference between weld in or bolt in.

I was looking at the Steeda Stage I kit for 99+ Cobra's. It comes with Camber/Caster plates, Springs, IRS bushings, and bolt in Subframe connectors.

But I know most say you want weld in. Well what are some good weld in ones? Something that won't hurt ground clearance.

thanks for the help.

·
Registered
684 Posts
maximum motorsports full length, or GLC which i hear are supposed to be good also.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You mean GRC. I have a set that I ordered, but due to my Cobra being in the body shop after being rear ended, I haven't installed them yet. I love Maximum Motorsport stuff, but these GRC subs are a great design.

MM subs are 1.25x2 inches with a .085 wall thickness. The GRC's are 1x2 inches with a .125 wall thickness. So they are at least equal in strength. But I love the way the GRC's step up closer to the body forward of the rear subframe. The clever design increases ground clearance.

See the subs at:

http://www.grcperformance.com/

The photo below is not mine, but shows the step design well.

Attachments

·
Registered
277 Posts
Thats some nice welding:jawdrop :jawdrop Mad props to the welder.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info.

I went to the GRC site but like Hunter pointed out the parts section is down.

Maximum Motorsports subs are 1x2 x .120 thick. The full length subs are the mentioned .80" thick.

Then the other question is how much do you weld? The entire length of the bar?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was at their site when I posted, must have gone down after that.

I myself do not believe in full length welding, although some do. I think there's nothing to be gained strength-wise, and you risk overheating problems. I believe in the one inch weld, and every 3-4 inches should be plenty.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Onelfastlride said:
What one's should I get? What's the difference between weld in or bolt in.

...snip...
The difference is bolt-ins don't do squat.
I have MMFLSC's, very happy with them. Gave my car a noticeable improvement. Easy quick install at a local shop.

Lots of pics of them in my sig.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
global west.......

they are truly the best ones.......tubular , lighter and stronger.......made of rollcage material.....full length, from the front of the subframe to the rear at the torque box....used these for over 10 years.......from street stuff to my own 8 second race car......none are better.....:shocked hermann

·
Registered
94 Posts
Re: global west.......

hpbyhermann said:
they are truly the best ones.......tubular , lighter and stronger.......made of rollcage material.....full length, from the front of the subframe to the rear at the torque box....used these for over 10 years.......from street stuff to my own 8 second race car......none are better.....:shocked hermann
Link or picture?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I too have used Global west sub-frames they are very nice. They have been on 1990 mustang for years and hold up great. And I plan on using them again on the cobra. www.globalwest.net

·
Registered
277 Posts
Mac is going to make 03 subframe connectors really soon. They are very similar to the Global West SFC's.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts