Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Supercharger vs Turbocharger
I have just bought a new 2003 black mustang gt and am planning to add a forced inductions system to her . Now with all the info out there it is starting to get a little confusing. Here are my goals. The car will be mostly a daily driver for now so I would like reliabilty. But by next summer i will be installing a new short block with forged internals so i want something that i can up the boost when this is done. I was planning on purchasing a kenne bell twin screw until i started reading more about the turbocharger setups. I would like something that would give me about 375 rwhp right now without doing anything to the motor (ie: forged rods and pistons). I would really appreciate any help from you guys, Pete

·
Registered
227 Posts
well i would think it would depend on the amount of $ youre wanting to dish out. when i was getting a forged shortblock, i considered a turbo, until all the things started adding up...i think i was looking at around $6K (if i remember correctly) for just the turbo and supporting equipment, and thats not counting labor!
so i just went the blower route with an S-trim, and its been pretty fun so far. turbos seem to make good power, but its cheaper to just get a blower

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'd hold off for a little while to see if the Kenne Bell makes the power they claim backed by some real world dyno #s, if it does - get it!!

Another option would be a CobraKiller kit (Vortech or Novi) if you have a manual car.

I hate to say it, but I hope the Kenne Bell doesn't make as much power as they claim, because I will be kicking myself in the butt everyday for not waiting.:rolleyes: :hammer

Just kidding.

Good luck,
Howard

·
Yup....still on top!
2,055 Posts
There is nothing finer than life with a turbo. No belt slippage, no belt shreading, etc. Turbo makes life a lot easier, and it's easier on parts too.

BUT, it all comes down to personal opinion. Either way, you'll be happy with the results.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I really do appreciateyour advise guys. I just want some dependable power that is going to help me beat the crap out of a vette. Another question i forgot to ask. I just placed an order for a full bassani exhaust setup. If I go with a turbo should I then cancel more bassani order

·
Registered
802 Posts
mustangpete4.6 said:
I really do appreciateyour advise guys. I just want some dependable power that is going to help me beat the crap out of a vette. Another question i forgot to ask. I just placed an order for a full bassani exhaust setup. If I go with a turbo should I then cancel more bassani order
What exactly did you order? LTs? If you go turbo I'd just get a h/x pipe and cat back. Actually I wouldn't put headers on right now since your'e planning to yank the motor pretty soon anyway. I make decent power and still have stock manifolds on the car.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Nothing like "Turning up the wick" in a Turbo'd car to get more boost. More expensive, but makes more power than a S/C in a boost to power ratio. I will probably go KB cause I want the low-midrange power, and its an around the town car.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I will wait, as long as it is not too long, and see the dyno numbers for the KB supercharger.

micool, what kind of mods do you have on you gt and what is you 1/4 mile time. sounds like a killer car

·
Registered
802 Posts
mustangpete4.6 said:
I think I will wait, as long as it is not too long, and see the dyno numbers for the KB supercharger.

micool, what kind of mods do you have on you gt and what is you 1/4 mile time. sounds like a killer car
P1-SC, bullit intake, 42 lb inj., Magnaflow x- pipe & cat back, 3.73 gear, etc. etc. Car typically runs 12.0s at 116 with me driving. Occassionally an 11.90 and a best (better driver) of 11.71 @ 117.

·
Registered
71 Posts
micool -

How do you get such great torque #s?:confused:
What mods do you attribute it to or is it the blower itself?

I notice most blown cars make higher rwhp than rwtq.

Once thing I have noticed is that intercooled smaller blowers like the Procharger especially or Vortech SQ sometimes seem to make better torque #s than bigger blowers like the Novi 2000, or am I just imagining this.:shocked

I notice it on the Procharged cars, they seem to make better power overall at normal boost levels of like 8-12#.

Great times by the way! :evil

Howard

·
Registered
802 Posts
00whitegtvert said:
micool -

Once thing I have noticed is that intercooled smaller blowers like the Procharger especially or Vortech SQ sometimes seem to make better torque #s than bigger blowers like the Novi 2000, or am I just imagining this.:shocked

I notice it on the Procharged cars, they seem to make better power overall at normal boost levels of like 8-12#.

Howard
Thanks for the compliment. I was shocked to see the torque #s too. The car was dynoed at JMS and when the intake was installed I actually lost almost 2 psi but picked up a little hp and a ton of torque. If I remember correctly I was making something like 392 rwtq before the intake. I attribute my #s to tuning from Chris Johnson. He took the car (first 03 with ATI they've done) from not even starting to where it is now and put in almost 40 hours of dyno/street time on it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
micool

how does your car run otherwise? Is it a daily driver? How is your overall satisfaction with the car?

Buy the way, great numbers :worship2

·
Registered
802 Posts
mustangpete4.6 said:
micool

how does your car run otherwise? Is it a daily driver? How is your overall satisfaction with the car?

Buy the way, great numbers :worship2
The car drives and idles like stock and I do drive it just about every day. I put the most of the modifications on at 1500 miles with the intake following at about 3000 miles. I now have 7900 miles on the car with no issues at all. Had I known I would go this far I probably wouldv'e looked at the Cobras a little harder but you live and learn, I guess. In the end I'm completely satisfied with my car. Thanks.

·
Registered
182 Posts
00whitegtvert said:
micool -

Howard
Howard, if you look at most P1's, thier TQ numbers are generally higher. Their step-up is something like 4.10 so they see boost sooner in the curve, which is why their TQ numbers are generally higher then the competition.

·
Registered
71 Posts
calypso -

That makes sense.:)

micool -

I constantly think about all the money I've spent on my car and say, SHOOT, I could've bought a 03 Cobra and for like $2500 run easy 11s.:mad:

But then I realize my back and legs (nerve damage) prevent me from using a stick as a daily driver and I just throw more money in to my car.:evil

I hope in 06 the Cobra comes with an auto-stick type set-up, there is a thread on something like this in the terminator forum I believe.:blob

For now,I'll just have to keep pushing toward a 450rwhp daily driven automatic sleeper street car that will give 90% of the 03 Cobras something to fear.:D

Or I can always buy Jimmy Vs 99 GT with 647rwhp for sale in the ModularFord classifieds and give them all something to fear.:shocked

Howard

1 - 15 of 15 Posts