Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have installed on my car the 3.10 upper pulley and 6lb lower pulley along with 3.5 inch alternator pulley. My car is eating belts up and even left me stranded. Everything seems lined up yet I'm going through belts like a fat kid eating cupcakes. Apparently I got a ton of deflection on the last belt that was shredded since now I have to redo my snout pulley as it was moved back about 1/8 inch.

Is it really necessary to have a 3.5 inch alternator pulley on? I have heard of only one guy having problems with alternator.

What belt sizes are you guys running? I have shredded a 80 inch and a 81 inch and the 78 inch belts do not fit.

I notice the intercooler lines seem awfully close to the lower pulley and problably is a problem and is going to get fixed tomorrow.

One other thing, I have the idler pulley that came with the 6lb lower on the lower setting, could that be the problem also?

I'm just disgusted and don't understand why so many haven't had problems, yet I have encountered extremely annoying problems.

Everything looks lined up and I can't understand why.

What am I doing wrong? Anybody have a clue of what I can do short of taking it off and just going back to a upper pulley?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Kino; We had the same problem, with the under drive alternator pulley from Metco. The spacer supplied with the pulley was .040 " too long and caused our belt to self destruct, put it on a belt sander and gently resized it , now no problem. Take your alt. pulley off and compare it to a stock pulley, remember to make the comparison using the spacer pulley combo from Metco. Joe

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks partner. I did have it grinded down to where it works fine. I belive the problem I have now is I need to move the idler pulley on the Metoc plate to the upper position and I will try to use a 79 inch belt since the I notice the 78 inch is just a little too small. I htink the problem is having a belt that once it is spinning up so high, the belt streteches and starts hitting the wrong things. It'll take a day or two for me to get the belts but I will get this up and running fine.

I'm going to get this car running sooner or later. I be sure to post all the issues and how me and the guys solved them so the next person won't have these issues.

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
I'm running the same setup as you:
3.10 upper
9" (6lb) lower
3.5" alternator
Metco 100mm idler

The belt is a Gatorback 4080797

I've had no issues with shredding belts, alignment etc.
Hope you get yours sorted out.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Rat what were your mods at the time of the 7.60's @93.9 pass???

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
trey193 said:
Rat what were your mods at the time of the 7.60's @93.9 pass???
3.10/6lb lower/magnaflow catted X, Mac 3" catback/Diablo chip/9" open filter/275 Nitto DR's.
I missed 4th on that run, damn clutch was hot and wouldn't go in gear. The next pass netted me a broken halfshaft. :p

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Nice times and mph's, yeah I have noticed that after hot lapping my car once that it doesnt want to go into gear very well! I am always doing the self adjustment , hell not even sure it has an effect any more!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Metco Altenator Pulley

I hope Metco reads these posts.

I have the 4 Lb Lower and 3.2 Alternator pulley.

I had to machine a relief on the back sode of the pulley for it to fit properly.

I use the Gatorback 4080797 belt with a set of 100 MM Billetflow Idlers on a Metco bracket and a 3.1 upper.

Mike69440

Nice combiation. I think the 6 lb is pushing the (H)Eaton Blower

KB or Works in my future $$$$ I hope.

Mike69440

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks people for the responses.

One last thing, how many of you with the 3.10 upper pulley have a auluminum upper pulley? I am looking for another 3.1 in iron as my current one needs to be replaced.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts