Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at Atco raceway last night at a decent time to get a couple runs in... well...

I am on my first run, good burn out, nice launch and wham cant hit the second to third shift and grind the tranny, try again quickly, grind again, then took my time and got it in there and crossed over the line with [email protected] i then go to slow down and come back to the lanes and OH SH!T I cant go into second... so im doing 1st to 3rd shifts back to the lanes...

Once back i try to get the shifter into second, with a some pressure i was able to get it in and a B!TCH to get it back out... I then try all the rest of the gears and i cannot go into sixth at all... i say f'it and go watch some races... i could get my mind off the car so i go back to the car and get in and try to do some laps around the parking lot to try and loosen it up... it seemed to work a little because i can now get it into second without to much truoble and it is a little bit tougher to get it out after its in...

Once the car was rolling on our way home i decided to try sixth, that was B!TCH and i got it in and almost felt like I couldnt get it out, but did...

ANY HELP ON WHAT HAPPENED OR HOW TO FIX THIS?!? :confused:
COULD THIS JUST BE A SHIFTER ALIGNMENT PROBLEM?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Taken from a couple of my earlier posts on svtperformance:

You will continue to miss shifts until you ensure that the clutch is fully disengaged from the flywheel. In other words the self adjusting mechanism under the dash doesn't like the kick you give the clutch pedal in fury when your racing. If your like me the addition of the Pro-5.0 was great during the test drives but pull next to a vette and the tone of your shifting changes whether you know it or not. One good swift kick and the clutch engagement is near the floor, not near the top where you need it to avoid grinding. The only cure is to eliminate the self adjusting plastic clutch quadrant with a manuall adjustable version that ensure it can't "un ratchet".

The factory plastic clutch pawl is junk. Adjust it all you want but the first kick of the clutch during a race at the 1-2 shift is all its good for, you're gonna grind 2-3 and 3-4 shift and the next 8 shifts even when you're going easy on it until the clutch takes up the slack again. Go w/ the UPR Firewall adjuster and the aluminum quadrant to replace the factory setup.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info on how not to miss shifts in the future...

I want to know what happened to my car and how I can fix it...

UPDATE: after driving it around today it seems that second and sixth have loosened up... i am able to put the shifter into those gears without too much of a problem and it drives fine while in those gears...

I will keep an eye on it and see if it gets worse again or not...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sounds like a problem with your clutch.Get rid of the plastic quad.

My 91 done the same thing.Of coarse,it didnt have a 6th to go into anyway.....but speed shifting third was not going to happen,and it was hard to get it to go into 3rd.New quad. and synthetics,and it shifts great!

Hope this helps.

James

G

·
If you still have that crappy stock clutch quadrant and cable..thats nuts....you have to get rid of it. One of the first mods to do on these cars. They just do not adjust correctly and will never allow you to shift the car the way it should be shifted. I missed more gears with the stock setup. After about 500 miles I put the Steeda adjustable setup w/ the firewall adjuster too and never miss a gear or any probs at all.

Also...Steeda Triax shifter is awesome too
Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com
2003 Cobra(tuned by Nitrous Pete www.Nitrous.com)

·
Registered
459 Posts
There is a plastic clutch pawl under the dash that has two halves and "automatically" ratches itself and thus the pedal "up". In doing so when you push in the clutch pedal you are seperating the clutch from the flywheel further and therefore stop the trans from spinning allowing you to engage the next gear. Like I said earlier when you "kick" the clutch you "unratchet" the adjusting pawl and the pedal (engagement point of the clutch) ends up closer to the floor so when you push the pedal in you are seperating the clutch from the flywheel maybe half as much, internals of the trans keep spinning and you can't shift it.

Driving around normally allows the clutch to adjust itself so the pedal engagement is higher and seeming to "fix" itself. Trust me, get the manual firewall adjuster for the clutch, the aluminum quadrant for the pedal, adjust it yourself near the top for engagement and never have this problem again.

Jerry

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Harry, where did you get your Steeda adjustable setup w/ the firewall adjuster and shifter from? Best place for the best price?

Also, people on SVTPERF were stating that I might have messed up the syncros in the tranny and could possibly need a rebuild if this happens again... any thoughts on this?

Thanks for everything...

·
Registered
140 Posts
anyone know how hard the instal of the clutch adjuster is??i did my own kb install but sometimes i hate little stuff where you have to lay upside down under the steering wheel..mike

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
mike5876 said:
anyone know how hard the instal of the clutch adjuster is??i did my own kb install but sometimes i hate little stuff where you have to lay upside down under the steering wheel..mike
It is not that hard. The hardest part is doing the quadrant which is a PIA if you don't remove the driver seat.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I experienced the same thing you described. Like everyone has already said.....you can do the "adjustment" Jerry spoke of or fix the problem with the aftermarket adjuster. I thought I blew my tranny too when it happened to me. I had to let the clutch cool and do the adjustment I had remember Harry mention a while back. It worked then, but it is only short term. I didn't need any more convincing to make the permanent fix.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for everything guys... I have the parts on order should be here soon...

Jerry sorry I did not thank you personally, but thanks for being the first to respond with the correct answer/fix...

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have the same problem, after grinding 4th shifting 5th and 6th was impossible. Know , a day later she is fine.
I am gonna oder the adjuster first thing next week. Thanks a lot to Jerry !!
Hope everything works out for you TopRacer

Riaan

1 - 17 of 17 Posts