Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have compiled a page that compares GT to Mach I to Cobra...

I want everyone to check it out and let me know if there are any problems with the Cobra and/or you can help me fill in some small missed parts of the GT or Mach I... Thanks...

Thanks...

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
Tread width? The Cobra has the largest tires to ever come on a Mustang from the factory. You are showing the GT and Mach with wider tires than the Cobra. Might as well make the Cobra 281 Cu.in too, it's the same motor. If anything, with lower compression, you'd think it would have a little more displacement than the MACH.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IWRBB said:
Tread width? The Cobra has the largest tires to ever come on a Mustang from the factory. You are showing the GT and Mach with wider tires than the Cobra. Might as well make the Cobra 281 Cu.in too, it's the same motor. If anything, with lower compression, you'd think it would have a little more displacement than the MACH.
Tread Width is not the tread width of the tires. It is the distance from the center of the left wheel to the center of the right wheel. By the data above, it shows that the front wheels of the GT and Mach are closer together than their rear. However, through some calculation the Cobra rear tires from outer left tire to outer right tire is 1.17in bigger...

·
Registered
63 Posts
I chuckled when I read it, I didn't know if you had the fairytale numbers or not. Although they are easily achieved by staying out of the boost, where's the fun in that.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
TopRacer said:
Tread Width is not the tread width of the tires. It is the distance from the center of the left wheel to the center of the right wheel. By the data above, it shows that the front wheels of the GT and Mach are closer together than their rear. However, through some calculation the Cobra rear tires from outer left tire to outer right tire is 1.17in bigger...
That's actually the car's track width, not it's tread width. Tread width is the first number in the Pmetric tire size, the 275, in mm.

You know, the Ponitac wide-track crap...

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
It's interesting that they rated the Cobra lower on the highway. It sits lower, has a taller O/D, and the same rear gears as the MACH. Maybe the drag from spinning the blower? Even with the bypass, it's taking power away.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
IWRBB said:
That's actually the car's track width, not it's tread width. Tread width is the first number in the Pmetric tire size, the 275, in mm.

You know, the Ponitac wide-track crap...
Thanks for the info... i copied the "tread width" directly from Ford's site... thanks...

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
pgordon said:
an interesting comparison. A recent comparison, a bullet, mach1 and older cobra, I think a 99. Guess it would not have been fair to include the 2003 cobra. Anyhow some performance numbers.

0-60 .25 mile
99cobra 5.25 [email protected]
01 bullit 5.15 [email protected]
03 mach1 4.70 [email protected]
Where are you getting these numbers from so that I can note that in the comparison...?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts