Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Buying new tires and need some good/bad experiences from any willing participants. Looking for the same stock size: 245/45r17, preferably all season, but unsure as to what make/model of tire to purchase. Money IS an object in this case but should still be able to find a decent tire for no more than $150per(Tire Rack, Discount Tire, etc.). Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would go with Kuhmo 711 255/40/17Z for I think 90/tire at tirerack.com.

I have Pirelli p-6000's 255/40/17zr....I love them but they might be a little out of your price range.

But this time put a 255 tire on.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MSZ, sorry for the late response. Was called away out of town on business.

So, you've had personal experiences with the Kumhos? How was the grip on wet and dry pavement? Was there much sidewall flex during hard cornering(common among cheaper tires)?

The price definitely is reasonable. $76 per tire(+ shipping). Another question. You had the 255/40s. How did they look(profile wise)? Mine is still the stock heighth so I wondered about the look, since they would be a bit shorter than the 245/45s. Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Kuhmo is a great brand. 255/40 is perfect. They last a long while moderate driving, n they look great on a 17x8 rim.

They ride great, no noise, and corner very well. I liked them a lot.

·
Premium Member
19,260 Posts
I recently bought replacements for my 01 Cobra. I went with Nitto 555 stock size. Total was around $480, free shipping. I love them, and would recommend them. They hook good, good on wet roads, and corner good. They actually look a little wider than the stock BFGs that come on the car.

Got them from discounttire.com or tirerack.com , can't remember

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I agree with Eric's recommendation. The Nitto tire is pretty good both in the wet and dry plus it carries a 300+ thread wear rating to boot...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think you sold me on the Kumhos. Thanks

I heard a lot of good things about the Nittos. I constantly see them advertised on 5.0 Mustang Mag. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Dang, to bad money is an object :( For a daily driver Michelin Pilot Sport A/S's aren't to shabby. Good wet/dry capability and pretty good tread wear.

I'm hoping it snows this year in Va so I can see's how they work in the white stuff with the traction control off!

So, you've had personal experiences with the Kumhos? How was the grip on wet and dry pavement? Was there much sidewall flex during hard cornering(common among cheaper tires)?

Alot of time they don't flex, its cheaper and easier to slap a hard wedge of rubber in the sidewall than it is to formulate a tread compund and design a casing that addresses things like handling and ride comfort.

I know BFG Scorcher tires with a taller sidewall produce similar handling to an equivalent Yokohoma tire with a shorter sidewall. Which is to say same steering response, turn in, ect. but with a taller sidewall. Wish I could remeber the yok tire model???

Anywhosit, dont down grade to save a buck (as in Z to a V, or worse) and consider your driving conditions

1 - 8 of 8 Posts