Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The beast will not idle...

After letting the car sit for 3 months or so the car will not settle a stable idle. The idle fluctuates between a high of 2000 RPM and a low of 500 RPM and immediatelly shuts off even after it warms up.

Aside from that the car runs great aside from when called on to idle at a stop or when firing it up. I have played with the trottle blade some to no avail as the car will the throw me a 1506 code which is the idle overspeed error.The car was tuned a while ago by Randy Haywood and he did a great job to make the car run great plus it idled well at the time... It does not idle at all now for some reason.

Major mods are as follow:

Ported heads and cams
Lt's and off road X
55 lb injectors
Weldon Pump and regulator set at 36 psi base with vaccum on
Vortech V2 S trim @ 14 psi
Pro M 80mm

What should I look at:

Bad gas after letting it sit for 4+ months
IAC problems
TPS problems
deffective MAF
????

I need help trouble shooting this bitch as I'm getting a little frustrated with her....

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GM96!!!

GreenMonster'96 said:
first thing i would try would be to clean the IAC valve...

SJ
Great suggestion SJ...

That was the first thing I did with no luck...

Thanks,
JC

·
Registered
83 Posts
hmmm.....next I would look at the bad gas theory. It did sit for a long time (outside??) you might have some water in your fuel system....you could try a fuel additive that removes water from the system...

other than that I'm at a loss...good luck

SJ

·
Registered
234 Posts
JC, did you try resetting the computer? I would look at the MAF if nothing else works. They say gas looses octane after a few weeks. I know my car wouldnt idle worth a crap, we changed the MAF and it idled fine. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
JC, just for kicks, unplug the MAF and see if it idles better. Could be the MAF is dirty? Just a thought

1 - 6 of 6 Posts