Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have decided that when I am doing the stereo this fall, I might as well do the battery relocation to the trunk. Which kits are you guys using? Also, how does it route back to the trunk; inside or outside the car? Finally, how difficult is it under the hood to complete the job?

I have considered the Steeda Relocation kit and their aluminum box to compliment the new stereo and billet amps for the trunk, but I am not sure if they will hold the stock Ford Battery, and if that wiring kit is actually good quality. Also, exactly how involved the install will be.

Any advice from your experiences would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance,
~Darren

·
Registered
172 Posts
These guys have really nice cables, relay kits, and terminal blocks with a relocation kit... give them a call to see what you want to do. Really nice people.

http://www.madelectrical.com/catalog/tm-1.shtml

Here's some info as well that you might find helpful:

http://www.corner-carvers.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9273

And, if you want a Steeda battery box, I have one I'll send you for $25 (very good price) plus shipping.

The one I have is from their 2002 catalog, includes the box, the battery hold down clamp, the vent hose, and grommets. You will still need a cable (send you one for an extra $40, the one from the Steeda kit) and some threaded rods and nuts from home depot (same as what steeda included).

I got the Moroso plastic box from Summit (about $100 for the box only), as shown in the above thread... since SCCA Solo II requires a plastic container. NHRA likes metal ones.... I probably have over $400 in my battery relocation, so don't do what I did (but I guess I still have parts left over). Checker Auto has battery boxes (not NHRA legal, black plastic) for like $14 as well. The metal ones look the best IMHO.

I also did the remote solenoid conversion, got a solenoid for a 1956 Ford truck..... but that's another story.

Good luck, and be sure to not skimp on the cable :)

Dave

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have recently considered the Taylor kit as my speedshop, DaSilvas, sells them for a great price. I need one that will fit my stock battery and the Steeda, I just found out, will not.

Thanks for the offer though...that was very kind.
~Darren

·
Registered
172 Posts
SilverStallion said:
I need one that will fit my stock battery and the Steeda, I just found out, will not.
That's strange... are you sure? It's 10" high, 13.5" long, and 9.5" wide. Distance between tie down posts is 8" wide. How big is your battery? Mine stock battery on the 2000GT is 7.5" wide and 9.25" long. It seems to be about 6" tall, so the only tight spot is between the tiedown posts, and it needs to be tight there.

Their new catalog shows a different battery box though, maybe that's smaller. This one seems to be similar to the Taylor box actually... but haven't researched it. The cable says "taylor" on it though.

On the subject of the installation, are you installing a shutoff switch? If you do, be careful.... these engines don't like to be shut off by cutting all the power from the battery.

Dave

Edit... you're right, the box fits, but the top battery clamp seems to be about a 1/2" too narrow. So it would need a diferent one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts