Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like I really need to get some of my low end torque back. Since the Port and Polish was so large, I lost all of my bottom end. is there ANYTHING I can do to try and increase the velocity of the air at low rpms without a power adder? PLEASE HELP. The car feels so empty without it. Thanks in advance for any and all inputs.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Smaller exhaust header primary tubes if available, long tubes with the afformentioned, and if you have like a 3" exhaust, going to 2.5 inch or 2.25 inch will also increase torque. Not sure what exhaust components you have. If you have Dynomax bullets, going with the more restrictive super turbos for example will likely boost low end.

Advancing cam timing generally increases torque. (give to peter, steal from paul)

Your cams with the longer duration, reduced your "effective" compression ratio somewhat, so increasing compression (ok, this is a lot of work) will increase midrange a lot, and also the top end. This will mean increased torque of course.

If your intake ports are polished, it will reduce flow, and will increase torque (causes the air to tumpbe, this is what the Yoshimura superbikes had to do back in the late eighties when the GSXR ports were so oversized, and they needed torque on the stock configuration engine)

5 angle valve job and such blending of the seats, working with the ports within a 1/4 to 1/2 inch of the valve seat, will tend to yield higher TQ in many cases (dramatically in some). This isn't that easy once again.

Did you remove the swirl dam when PP'ng the heads? That lost some TQ.

Raise the floor on your exhaust ports (requires welding). Raise the floor on your intake ports (requires welding, or epoxy.... Moroso makes some good stuff for this, some use JB weld believe it or not)

Those are some of the things. Going with a smaller TB may help, but it's a crapshoot.

A stroker kit will of course boost the bottom end torque.

Las tof all, give the computer an opportunity to relearn your engine setup.

All I can think of. Good luck.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, that was alot of information. Let me answer a few things about the port job. I believe they did a 3 angle valve job, and I know they removed the swirl dams. I have to ask him if he did the angle job. The ports are about as big as they can be. You said that this will increase torque, but I was told the opposite. I was told that less speed created by the bigger ports will lower torque.

The eshaust consists of FMS shorty headers 2 1/2" collector, 2 1/2" o/r prochamber mid pipe, and a magnaflow catback with 2 1/2" pipes. I cant go with long tubes since the car is lowered.

They did not advance the cam timing, just the spark timing. It's maxed out without having to run race gas all the time. I have to run 94 minimum as it is. I add octane boost to that as well.

What do you mean by raise the floor?

I asked the shop about putting the factory T/B back on and he said it wouldnt make a difference. I may try it, but before the cams and port and polish job I did it for shits and giggles, and it was BAD. No throttle response and on the shifts it bogged down.

I am going to see how it looks over time. The shop has a new program for it because the car bucks at low rpm while driving. Also going to raise the idle a little cause it really shakes at idle. In the end, for the money I spent, I shoulda went with a KB and been done with it. Would have been the same $ and alot more power :( .

·
Registered
28 Posts
Racer726 said:
Smaller exhaust header primary tubes if available, long tubes with the afformentioned, and if you have like a 3" exhaust, going to 2.5 inch or 2.25 inch will also increase torque. Not sure what exhaust components you have. If you have Dynomax bullets, going with the more restrictive super turbos for example will likely boost low end.
That would indicate either lazy exhuast flow or a and exhaust system that over-scavenges the exhaust (not likely)

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I decided to go with the lowest KB setup. Just enough to get me between 400 and 425 rwhp so I dont have to forge anything or change tranny and rear. It may be a little while, but I am hoping not too long. Well, it's a firm decision now. Hoping to post back in a few months on results. I KNOW that only then am I going to be truely happy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts