Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to figure out a way to tune my car besides having a chip.

Im not sure if any of you are familiar with a product APEXi makes. Its mainly a import company but is a box that controls the maf signal to the ecu.

It has several different area of adjustability-- you can adjuat +/- 50% of the stock MAF signal in 1% increments.

It has 2 maps

LO MAP consists of throttle positions of 80% and lower i.e for crusing around town

HI MAP consists of anything about 80% throttle position.

I used to have one of these on my Talon when I raced it and it was a very useful tool that could be used in conjuction with bigger injectors and modded mafs. It a way its like a MAFT but alot more adjustability.

It operates from several different ecu inputs, throttle position, rpm, and maf signal.

IN the setup of this tool, you can select several different maf types, hotwire, karman etc etc. You can also select from 2-8 cyl operation.

IMOP I think this would be a good tool to use on the 03's for fine tuning of the fuel curve, you cant mess with timing but you could do alot with the fuel. With +/- 50% adjustament you have alot more adjustment that the predator. Its not a flash tool but runs when the car is on.

Im not too familiar with the MAF on these 03's is there is MAF TEmp line that gives the maf temp siganl to the ecu. I know in the past with Talons we installed a 10k ohm resistor inline on the wire to trick the ecu to thinkin it was colder outside, thus giving more fuel. Just a small trick

Any feedback

·
Snake Charmer
2,830 Posts
The biggest problems with these type of devises is that they lie to the eec about the actual airflow coming in. The airflow is used for many things and calculating load is a big one, load affects timing and other aspects as well. This can lead to drivability issues and such. Its always ideal if you can enter the actual flow data into the EEC so it can make actual decisions based on true data.

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
With your setup.The Stock Mass air is really your best option..Your not pegging it and until you do,You really don't need any mass air tunning.
At some point(around 550+) You will need some Mass air tunning.

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info.

I know the problem with messing with the MAF is driveability as someone mentioned. As I mentioned this thing has 2 MAPS on it and I could leave the LO MAP on 0% which would be using the stock MAF signal/curve, therefore there wouldnt be any driveability problems. On HI MAP on the otherhand you can make 1% increment changes in 500RPM ranges. I.E make a change at 5500rpm and then 6000rpm. Your not really worried about driveability then since the 02 sensors are in closed loop and arent feeding back to the ecu, they are just giving it a #.

I am well prepared to see how this does on a dyno, I have a Hellion scan tool as well, I would be interested to see how it effects timing as well, in all reality it should lower timing some with the increased MAF flow rate.

Im not sure how these tuners adjust tunes i.e diablosport, there is basically a small amount of tables that can be used. Spark, fuel, maf and some other variables. It will also base some of these on coolant temps etc.

I would just like to learn some more.....thats all:shocked

·
Registered
374 Posts
IWRBB said:
http://www.mafterburner.com/

That's mjchip's product. I'm sure he can answer any of your questions.
mj's product does everything you want and more. I've seen it on his car and a few others. It's a nice piece. I know he uses his for his 50# injectors, shift light, data logging, and nos.

There is a close loop and open loop table. You can adjust the tps breakpoint (the point where it changes table). You can also get a mafterburner with a switch that allows more than 1 open/closed loop table.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Thanks guys. The main benefits of the MAFterburner over the Apexi unit are:

1. much more adjustability 40rpm vs 500rpm bands, global offset, injector calibration controls, etc.

2. no need for an external tach adapter (built-in)

3. STAGE2 version has nitrous control built in (i.e. WOT switch, window switch, two fuel maps switchable on the fly, and programmable output driver).

4. lower cost

Broke7, if you have any questions feel free to give me a call. Our number is: 203-257-6657 (9am-8pm M-Sa)

BTW, check this out: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33598&item=2431032261

MJ

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MJ --- I will probably give you a call sometime this week.

Thanks for the info
Allen

1 - 8 of 8 Posts