Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day guys, been 10-12 years since I posted on here. Lost my original username/password, so had to create a new one.

A family friend is stationed in North Carolina, in the Coast Guard. He purchased a 1999 Cobra with a Terminator swap. Worked good for the first few months he had it, but now we believe it to have PATS issue. No crank. He contacted the gentleman he purchased it from, who said the PATS was deleted, referred him to the shop that tuned it 10 years prior. Shop is under new ownership, no record of the car/customer, they are walking away, no help. Previous owner suggested a new PCM, which was purchased and installed by family friend, and supposedly after hours on the phone with SCT (X-Cal) everything is installed/flashed, but still no crank.

He has a trailer, is willing to take the car anywhere within a reasonable distance.

My only problem is I have been out of the game so long I don't know who the "go to" guys are anymore. Many shops over the years have been sold to new ownership or "the guy" who made the shop successful, moved on, etc....

I thought I remembered the owner of this site was a tuning Guru in Georgia or somewhere in the mid atlantic, is that ESCHAIDER?

Any help is appreciated.

I have a 2001 Saleen Clone with a Procharger, homebuilt Teksid, rollcage, all the bells and whistles a straight line car needs; just been 10-12 years since all the work was done and one dyno tune nailed it. I am not real well versed in tuning anymore and need to get him hooked up with someone who is.

Feel free to call or text with any help, suggestions; or PM me. Jim Ulrich Jr. (570) 412-2699

·
Administrator
9,338 Posts
Like you said a lot has changed over the years, Jimmy (did I guess your name correctly?). Many of the shops from back then have moved on to new platforms or closed their doors. Things we have discovered over the years have shown some of those old shops (many of which have disappeared), in trying to produce as much power as they could out of their tunes, ran the engines dangerously close and frequently over a lean line you did not want to cross.

The upshot was they produced pistons in non race, street driven engine, that looked like this after 20,000 miles;

Back then we only had stock ECU's and SCT tuners (primarily) to choose from and that meant scaling several of the ECU's internal parameters that Ford placed hard stops on like MAF's, injectors, manifold volumes etc, which are used to calculate engine load and proper fueling. At the time the after market alternatives were $4K to $8K events that always seemed to require you give up something.

Today we have aftermarket systems from a variety of providers that include all the usual suspects like Haltech, Motec and some interesting new names like Holley and Megasquirt. There is a write up on the site in the Articles section on the Megasquirt (MS) alternative. I have a bias towards the MS because of the simplicity, complete access to all tuning parameters, excellent manual, lack of a need for a handheld X-Cal type gizmo to load tunes or data log. The MS3Pro PnP system provides a very impressive range of nice to have features that come standard like, engine protections for low oil pressure, fuel pressure, over temp etc. The system also supports a flex fuel diet that will allow you to run a fuel mix of zero to 100% ethanol without a retune. This capability requires the addition of a GM flex fuel sensor that goes in line in the fuel delivery.

Some of the more attractive attributes include;

• It runs all the instruments in your stock dash.
  • It plugs right into a stock Ford wiring harness (Plug-N-Play),
  • It comes with an excellent base tune to get you going,
  • It has multiple traction control strategies,
  • Programable / tunable accelerator pump models
  • Tuning and Data logging software is included
  • Built in 3 or 4 bar MAP sensor (I forget which),
  • It supports a wireless programming capability from your laptop
  • It runs on Mac's or PC's
  • It costs a little more ($1,349) than taking the car to the dyno to be tuned, but you get so much more.
This list goes on but I think you get the idea.

Here's a link to the write up in the Articles section => MS3Pro Plug-N-Play

At the bottom of the article you will find two links. One is to an actual install and one is to a first start (which happened right after the actual install). They are short because the process is short and well worth watching A nice little basket of side benefits include the bypassing of the PATS system (your current headache) and the ability to remove the MS3Pro box and plug in your original OEM ECU for emissions inspection purposes but I never said that :)

BTW if you are running a returnless fuel system they have 100% support for that already built into the ECU.

This stuff is the real deal and yes, a bunch of the guys on the site, including me own one.

Ed

·
Registered
10 Posts
Re pats

I'm not positive but I think that a PATS will not stop the car from cranking. It would crank but not start. Back when I had some PATS issues, I did find some services on-line in which they would sell you a new PCM with a PATS delete procedure. I eliminated my problem, mostly, with a PATS bypass from my tuner. Rob at Power Curve Motorsports in Concord, NC. 704-805-4945. I still have an issue in that I have a new key that will start the car but if I lock it with the remote and then unlock it and use this key, it sets off the alarm and won't stop. This system is very tricky. I tried replacing every part in the system and still no good. The Ford dealership couldn't even figure it out. I go back to the fact that you changed the PCM. That PCM isn't coded to your keys. The PATS sensor in the ignition switch, the key and the PCM must all be synced up to start. Good luck and let us know if you get a fix.

·
Administrator
9,338 Posts
Like Red Barron suggested turn off your PATS protection in the OEM tune. Like I suggested get the MS3Pro PnP ECU to run your car. When you need emissions testing unplug the MS3Pro plug in your OEM ECU make some injector changes and get your smog testing done. Go home and switch back to the aftermarket ECU. Covers all the bases ...

Ed

1 - 4 of 4 Posts