Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

New '03 4 Valve Terminator Cams

11K views 50 replies 19 participants last post by  Ayrton 
#1 ·
I would like to announce in this forum first that we are developing cams for the ’03 Cobra.

Our Cams are New not Regrinds. Their CNC Ground of SAE 8620 Billet Steel and Computer Designed for Max Performance.

We currently have prototypes that we have to inspect and qualify. Our criteria for velocity, acceleration, jerk, and snap have to be met before testing can begin in our engine dyno test cell.

CNC Ground so there is no Masters involved to induce error. The design software generates the CNC files.
Each lobe is duplicated on the CNC grinder so Performance is enhanced due to each lobe being the same.

CORA (Cam on rocker) camshafts are very difficult to design and manufacture due to their unique properties. Pushrod and bucket style tappets are easy because they are translational. Meaning they move up and down. The valve is translational. The cam grinder is translational. CORA valve trains are not. CORA rockers are oscillating or sliding depending on rocker type. That means that there is no particular rocker arm ratio, it is variable depending on where the lobe is in its rotation. All this makes CORA cams extremely difficult to design and harder yet to manufacture accurately. The mathematics involved to take a valve motion (Translational) to a CORA rocker (Not translational) to a cam grinder (Translational) is extremely involved.

We have teamed up with engineers in the field of CORA design and they have developed the software to conduct the proper mathematics to solve the translation problem in CORA designs. Our acquisition of this software has been a major step in our quest to design 4.6L, 5.4L Ford camshafts.

Small wonder the camshaft industry is slow to come out with new cams. BEWARE most CORA designs are translational (Tappet) lobes. They don’t meet acceleration and its derivatives specifications, which cause many performance and durability problems.

Insiders have told me that the owner of one parts operation designed their own cams! CAUTION bad cams are out there.

Within 60-90 days we expect to have cams in production. Pricing will be announced at this site first. Please don’t call, we will post.

They will be available through Joe at JD’s Auto & Performance.

So keep your eyes here, where we will let you guys know first about the Terminator Cams for the ’03.

Regards. Michael Rauscher, L&M Engines

See less See more
#9 ·
Michael, thanks for coming on here and sharing, great info! Do you have a picture or graphic that shows how the CORA design is translational, I think I understand it but you know how far a pic goes. As far as the problems associated w/ poor design, can you elaborate some on this statement: "They don’t meet acceleration and its derivatives specifications, which cause many performance and durability problems." What specs and what types of problems?

As far as the cams that you are designing can you give us a ballpark of the target audience? IOW: max rpm, idle speed, still emissions legal, boost/hp target? It seems Ford has done a great job on this engine as far as cam grinds go if your not going over 6000rpm, especially when you compare it to pre-03' 4 valve engines, this thing probably has ~ 30lb/ft advantage although it doesn't carry the HP as high. This engine needs to be shifted around 6000rpm whereas previous Cobras were in the 6500rpm range. Thanks for any input..

Jerry

#10 ·
I'd appreciate you sharing imformation on the stock cam, numbers for lift, duration, and lobe seperation, I can't seem to find spec's for the stock stuff anywhere. And If you can give us an idea of how your's is comparing, it will help us have sweet dreams when we fall asleep of all the potential power we can make with your cams.
Thanks

#11 ·
cams

Whats up Mike, good luck with the cams I think you and Joe will sell a shit load of them. I have a sneaky feeling that Jds will have the fastest 03 cobra on the planet. I hope someone didn't piss off Joe because with his tuning skills and all his knowledge they will be sorry. It's nice to be on the the right team.

#16 ·
7DMACH1 said:
Holy Shirt It's Rich, How The Hell Are Ya? Where have you been. Haven't seen you post on any sites in ages. Thought you would be busting on me about my Cruise Night. How all the old retired folk in Fla. ? Did I make it on the news in Fla.? RAY:D
How you doing Ray? Things are great down here. Had a very pleasant WARM winter. I would call Joe everytime it snowed to bust his stones,

Should I know something about the cruise night?

All the old retired folk are making thier way back north, it will become a ghost town around here in the next week or two.

#18 ·
SHIT! I thought I had been spammed by that gigantic ad for the last time a month ago. Starting to advertise for next year now? :rolleyes: And what does that have to do with 4V cams???

#21 ·
Michael-L&M said:
In reply.

Our cams are designed for a 50-150 HP increases over stock.

Specifically designed for all supercharged Cobras. Various cams for stock to high boost.

I will post a more detailed reply later. //Michael
Hey Mike, how you doing.

Question, when you say all supercharged Cobras, are you talking just about just the '03 with the Eaton or any previous year that has a supercharger.

IWRBB, hey, was posting a pic for me to see. What is your problem!!!!

#22 · (Edited)
Reply to -- Jerry & 281UndrPressure

In reply to Jerry.
1- Cora cam geometry is not translational, that is the problem with designing lobes.
2- I defined "translation" in my 1st post.
3- As far as a picture or drawing. Take off any valve cover of an OHC engine with a pivoting rocker arm and you have a picture. For a drawing, Don Hubbard's book "Camshaft Reference Handbook" has excellent ones.
4- Derivative is a rate of change at particular points in time(usually rotation). Velocity=rate of lift or In/Deg, Acceleration=rate of velocity or In/Deg2, Jerk=rate of acceleration or In/Deg3, Snap=rate of jerk or IN/Deg4. To obtain these accurately, measurements should be to 6 decimal places.
When these parameters or out of the accepted median, poor valve action and broken parts result.
There is a lot going on with a cam that cannot be measured with a dial indicator.
5- Our target audience will be various cams for the Eaton/Kenne Belle guys with stock boost to very high boost. The high boost guys will also get a cylinder head package that is in early stages of development now.
6- Books on the CORA subject are.

C.F. Taylor, The Internal Combustion Engine in Theory and Practice. Volumes I and II, M.I.T.
Press, 1966 and 1968.

J.B.Heywood, "Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals", McGraw-Hill Book Company, 1988

Camshaft Reference Handbook by Don Hubbard

Our cams are designed specifically for supercharged high output engines.

They will provide between 50-150+ HP. The big advantage is a balanced intake charge and a corresponding exhaust. That will allow more aggressive tune ups also resulting in more power.

7- The RPM limits are intentional due to the fact that pre '03 are normally aspirated, needing higher revs to compete in the car market. Ford intentionally detunes these engines for warranty and other rational reasons.

These tune questions should be directed to Joe at JD's Auto & Performance for more specific answers.

In reply to 281UndrPressure
You won't find stock specs because it's a pain in the ass to measure. We measured 'em and won't publish 'em.

Our cams will have more lift, but will have to avoid piston/valve problems with stock pistons.
Our duration and lobe centers have proven themselves in Blower and Heavy Nitrous use.

Providing 50-250 HP over the big cam guys with no damaged parts or burnt up engines.

Our tune ups can always be more aggressive, resulting in more power. //Michael

#24 ·
::jawdrop

i didn't understand most of that but I did like the hp increase. But for 50 additional hp I don't think I'd go this route. for the 150-250 I definatly would. But it also sounds expensive to do the work. Sounds very cool

IRWBB doesn't have a problem, I was wondering the same thing ... reading about one thing and then something completely different. Looks like a cool get together though. I went to your site, Ray. cool pics. especially the ones with the girls ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.